Brews-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
My Bday coming up so I made the suggestion that I would like the AHS Summer Siason and Double IPA beer kits. Well Mom went and bought them for me!

Problem is she bought the extract kits! I have been doing AGs for a bit. But I can now do a full boil! So without further hesitation- Why add any extract in the beginning of the boil?

Why not add it all towards the end? last 10/15 min?

I believe you need to add some of it at the beginning to get utilization of the hops but hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable will chime in here.

Yeah, you need some extract to get hop utilization, experiments have proven that you don't get any isomerization in plain boiled water...But there is some debate as to whether or not hop utilization is helped at all by boiling just the water after grains have been steeped and adding the hops to that...

If I'm using dry extract I'll only add about a quarter of my recipe initially.

With liquid it's a little tricky...If it comes in 2 containers I'll just dump one container in and the rest@ 15 min remaining....

In The Homebrewer's Companion, Papazian published a chart that shows utilization at different gravities. When I figure my hops bill I refer to that to get the most bang for the buck (never had to worry about it until recently.)

I will try to scan and post - but it will not be until tomorrow at the earliest (my scanner access is limited to work.)

NWernBrewer said:
In The Homebrewer's Companion, Papazian published a chart that shows utilization at different gravities. When I figure my hops bill I refer to that to get the most bang for the buck (never had to worry about it until recently.)

I will try to scan and post - but it will not be until tomorrow at the earliest (my scanner access is limited to work.)

might be similar to the table on this page:

http://www.realbeer.com/hops/research.html

Back