Brewpot Boil markings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunami

Reaction score
Hi all.

I just got a slightly larger brew-pot (30qt) for my setup. However, it doesn't have any volume-measurements on it, and I really need some for my process.

Anyone have experience adding volume measurements to a stainless pot?

I'd prefer the markings on the interior, but they'll need to stand up to both boils and PBW soaks, as well as not be wort-soluble!

Thanks in advance...

Right. While that is super cool, I was thinking something a little less mad-scientisty. Like maybe if someone knows a food-safe brand of permanent marker?

Also, any tips on how to identify where to mark the kettle. Filling the thing up with set amounts of water seems logical, but then the kettle is wet, and by the time it dries you've lost your measurement. I've tried the rubber-band on a dowel method, but I've always found that to be very inaccurate. Is there something better?

Also, any tips on how to identify where to mark the kettle. Filling the thing up with set amounts of water seems logical, but then the kettle is wet, and by the time it dries you've lost your measurement.

Try this calculator and a measuring tape/ruler. I use an aluminum 2' ruler right in the kettle to measure mash water/pre-boil/post boil volumes. Would like to have measurements on the kettle as well but not sure it would be as accurate.

I have used a cheap SS rule from Amazon/Ebay to measure the diameter of the kettle and height of water. I can input that into Brewzor on my phone and get volumes. But it's not as easy as having markings right on the kettle.

I can't think if anything good and food-grade that would stand up to the cleaning process. The etching thing isn't very mad scientist IMO. Seems pretty simple. It's fairly permanent, and quick and easy to use compared to measuring and calculating.

You could emboss the thing with the right punch kit and a hammer if you didn't want to do the etch thing.

The ruler is a good idea. A little bit more specific than marking a spoon too. I think I'll try that.

The etching thing isn't very mad scientist IMO. Seems pretty simple. It's fairly permanent, and quick and easy to use compared to measuring and calculating.

You could emboss the thing with the right punch kit and a hammer if you didn't want to do the etch thing.

It is if you live in a studio apartment!

Additionally, this new brewpot was got for 3 $1 raffle tickets. It's a fine pot (Brewer's Best I think?), but I'm trying to avoid dumping a bunch of time/money into it.

I also use the measuring method which is measure the boil kettle with a tape measure and then figure out how many IN are equal to a gallon. Then you can measure from the top and subtract

Latest posts

Back