Brewing with Loose Leaf Hops - need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo_leon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I got a couple 2014 hops from a friend that was vacuum sealed and frozen.

I currently have:

7 oz Cascade
3 oz Nugget
3 oz Mt Hood

I read that 2-3 oz loose leaf hops equals 1 oz of pellet hops - is this true?

I am thinking about brewing an IPA like this

85% 2-row malt
5% flaked wheat
5% crystal 40
2.5% carapils
2.5% sugar

I am thinking of using my nugget for bittering but not sure how much to use? I am also wondering if it would be easier to buy 1 oz of magnum pellets instead to bitter with?

As for my hop schedule:
60m: bittering hops (use all the nugget? or magnum?)
15m: 2 oz cascade
5m: 2 oz mt hood
0m: 2 oz cascade

dry hop: 3 oz cascade, 1 oz mt hood

any feedback on my receipe? this will be a 5 gal batch, aiming for a OG of 1.060-ish, may mash 152-154 for a medium body. have a couple packets of US-05 yeast on hand.

I dont think the conversion ratio from pellets to loose leaf is 1:2. But ther is less utilization. Maybe like 10% or so. If you have brewing software it should convert it to you.

I like magnum better for bittering but i would honestly use the nugget since you have it. I also would get rid of the sugar in your recipe. Not really needed imo.

Okay I put in the numbers in BeerSmith and this is what I have:

10# 2-row
1# cara40
1# flaked wheat
0.5# carapils

Hop Schedule:
60m: 1.5oz nugget
15m: 2 oz cascade
5m: 2 oz mt. hood
0m: 2 oz cascade
dryhop: 1.5 oz nugget, 3 oz cascade, 1 oz mt. hood for 5 days

IBU should be 84.1, OG should be 1.064 and FG should be 1.017

should i boost nugget to 2 oz for bittering or leave it at 1.5?

Where the hops dried before freezing? If not, it's more like a 6:1 ratio but then they'd be a sopping vegetal mess to use.

If they were dried before freezing, 1:1 is fine. They are hard to use for bittering, though, since you have no idea of the AAUs of them. So for late additions, homegrown (dried) hops are fine to use.

Where the hops dried before freezing? If not, it's more like a 6:1 ratio but then they'd be a sopping vegetal mess to use.

If they were dried before freezing, 1:1 is fine. They are hard to use for bittering, though, since you have no idea of the AAUs of them. So for late additions, homegrown (dried) hops are fine to use.

I believe they were dried but I'm not sure, the whole brick of hops feels quite solid. A friend of a friend gave me the hops last month and I'm set to brew an IPA so thought I'd use the loose leaf in the recipe.

im pretty sure they are dried. They wouldnt try storing wet hops because theyd mold and stuff right?

The 3:1 ratio you are thinking about is probably referring to wet leaf hops which have just been picked. Their weight is mostly moisture

They're certainly dried, else they'd be full of mold.

I brew almost exclusively with (dried) whole cones these days, and I just use the weight of hops from the recipe. Don't be surprised at the massive VOLUME you'll get from an ounce of whole hops vs pellets!

I don't use hop bags since the whole cones are so massive; I just dump 'em in. But that meant I had to go with a screen or false bottom in my kettle to keep the cones from clogging my output valve.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add: You may want to bump the amount only because the hops are > 1 year old, not because they aren't pelletized.

They are good for dry hopping, I have not tried them in a boil... but I can say 1-2 ounces in a hop bag (hop sock, mesh bag, whatever you want to call it) for dry hopping in an IPA is great.

Back