Brewing with lactose or substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SrLobaugh

Reaction score
Didn't get lactose soon enough and was thinking if junkets ice cream very vanilla mix would work... Anyone use this or something similar?

Attachments

• 20210126_132736.jpg
    20210126_132736.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210126_132742.jpg
    20210126_132742.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Isn't corn syrup fermentable? I'm not sure you'd get the same results as lactose. I'm interested to see how this works though.

Isn't corn syrup fermentable? I'm not sure you'd get the same results as lactose. I'm interested to see how this works though.
I have use corn syrup in a test batch for lager style limiting my use of any crystal. It did work, but doesn't give the same experience as lactose when trying to achieve thicker, creamy mouth feel.

I have use corn syrup in a test batch for lager style limiting my use of any crystal. It did work, but doesn't give the same experience as lactose when trying to achieve thicker, creamy mouth feel.
No it did not work. It is 100% fermentable. Lactose is 100% unfermentable.

Corn syrup has the direct opposite effect of crystal malt, it does not leave any flavour or residual sweetness.

If you want to up the abv without increasing body or taste in any way, corn syrup is the choice. Or dextrose, which basically is the same.

Didn't get lactose soon enough and was thinking if junkets ice cream very vanilla mix would work... Anyone use this or something similar?
The sugar would ferment out and you'd be left with vanilla-flavored beer. Lactose only increases FG and sweetness but does not impart any "milk" taste so I'd guess the result of using your flavoring will be much different.

Back