Brewing "weird" brew tonight. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbon111

Reaction score
I have some "normal" beers in the process of fermenting and conditioning right now so I thought I'd finally try something a little different with this batch, having just bought a new 6gal carboy.

I've come up with this recipe over the last week.

NOTE: I've edited the following recipe to reflect the actual ingredients used this evening.

"Cherry-treacle FrankenPorter":

5 gallons clean cold water in brewpot.

Grainsack in cold water:
.5 lb #60 Crystal
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
.25 lb Black Patent
-remove at 160 degrees

Boil
60 min:
5 lbs Amber DME
.5 lb brewer's brown sugar
1 lb dark treacle
1 tsp Gypsum
+
1.5 oz Cascade

15 min:
.5 oz Willamette
1 tsp Irish Moss

10 min:
2 sticks Ceylon Cinnamon - .5 oz broken into small pieces (not Cassia bark - real cinnamon is very mild)
1/4 oz Dried Orange Peel

0 min:
Cool with wort chiller to 70 degrees.

Pitch Nottingham Ale Yeast - 11 gram pack

Primary ferment.

Into the secondary fermenter (before the wort) goes approx 5 lbs of pureed sour cherries. (Oregon brand, canned)

Wait.

sign me up for the tasting of this one !

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated FG: 1.014 SG
Estimated ABV: 5.08%
Estimated Color: 28.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.3 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

-Jason

My only suggestion is to up the cherries to a lb. a gallon. If you started with five gallons you'll probably have around 4.5 to primary depending on boil-off rate.

Other than that it looks very delicious.

Good idea. It'll be in the primary for a while so I've got time to get a few more pounds of cherries.

I'm wondering if I'll need more sugar when the cherries go in or if there'll still be enough left after the primary ferment for this not to come out a too-sour mess. ;)

Back