Brewing water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illomenbrewery

Reaction score
I just moved into my new house and I have not tested my well water yet, we do not even drink the water from the tap. We have those 5 gallon Culligan water jugs for drinking water at the house. I am planning on using the Culligan jugs for brewing water and I cannot find the water breakdown anywhere on the internet. Would you just add 5.2 stabilizer to stabilize the mash ph? Anyone else using bottled water? I do understand that bottled water is not very cost effective, but I am just trying to make sure my water is ok.

Maybe ask Culligan customer service. I think they may have many sources of water and that could be the reason why they don't show a single report(?) describing their water, although they have links describing the tap water quality here and there.

I just moved into my new house and I have not tested my well water yet, we do not even drink the water from the tap. We have those 5 gallon Culligan water jugs for drinking water at the house. I am planning on using the Culligan jugs for brewing water and I cannot find the water breakdown anywhere on the internet. Would you just add 5.2 stabilizer to stabilize the mash ph? Anyone else using bottled water? I do understand that bottled water is not very cost effective, but I am just trying to make sure my water is ok.

Why would you add a product that isn't proven to do anything for you until you know if it might help? Use your Culligan jugs for a batch and see what you get. You might try a half size batch first to see if you like it before committing to a full batch.

What is wrong with your tap water that you don't drink it?

Culligan FAQ says

"Bottled water labels also include a way for consumers to contact the bottled water company to get additional answers to questions about the specific water source used, treatment methods, and water quality information."

Do you have a grocery store nearby where you can buy distilled water? I can pick up 10 gallons of distilled water for about 70 cents per gallon. Personally thats what i would recommend. Then you can tweak the water profile to what you want

5.2 doesn't work at all. It's a total fraud. If you can find out what's in that bottled water, you can calculate how to use it with something like Bru'n Water. But you need that water information!

You can read up on how and why to treat your water on the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website.

Back