Brewing Up a Business

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmif135

Reaction score
I can hardly sit this book down. Written by the owner of Doghead Fish Brewing Co, Sam Calagione. He talks about the adventures of starting your own brew pub and gives advice to others wishing to do the same. I recommend this book to anyone, even to those who aren't homebrewers. It is both interesting and entertaining.

I'm reading it now, it's very good. He does a good job of explaining why Dogfish Head beer is so expensive. However, I think it is too expensive. $8.99 for a 4-pack of 90 minute IPA at my liquor store. I'm all for a great beer and usually willing to pay extra for it, but for $8.99 I could have about 25 of my own brew, which I think tastes just as good (well, almost). That being said, I definitely give Sam Calagione props, he had a dream and went for it. I think Orrelse and Sam75 met him at the AHA conference recently in Baltimore. Perhaps, they could comment on that. :cool:

Born Brewing Co. said:
That being said, I definitely give Sam Calagione props, he had a dream and went for it. I think Orrelse and Sam75 met him at the AHA conference recently in Baltimore. Perhaps, they could comment on that. :cool:

I got my book signed by him. :D

I totally respect the guy. He worked his butt off following a dream. Despite the fact that he is so successful, he remains down to earth. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book right now, and I wish I had a nickel for every time he said "believe in yourself". Sometimes I felt like I was reading a Tony Robbins motivational speaker book. :p

Anyway--I think in the long run the prices will hurt his beer. He'll have to find cheaper ways to produce good tasting beer in order to survive against more up and coming craft brewers who try to copy his success. I agree it hurts the pocketbook to buy some of that stuff. I still pay it though. :)

The best thing for me about Dogfish is thier marketing. Genius stuff. Making a malt liquor. Inventing the Randall. The list goes on and on.

Have you guys seen the movie they made? The first guy they "interview" is hilarious. Check out "Lupulin Madness" . It's awesome if you need a laugh.

ORRELSE said:
Anyway--I think in the long run the prices will hurt his beer. He'll have to find cheaper ways to produce good tasting beer in order to survive against more up and coming craft brewers who try to copy his success. I agree it hurts the pocketbook to buy some of that stuff. I still pay it though.

i agree, plus most the beers aren't that good. the 60 min and 90 min are good, but they have some strange brews. like they say at Dogfish, "off-centered beers for off-centered people". IMO, the Aprihop and that raisin beer, not to my liking. especially for $8.99/4 pack. i think it's more novelty and his ability to sell his product. i love the 90 minute IPA, but i would like to be able to drink more than one beer at a sitting. it's a social thing. can't drink 3 to 4 90 min's, or you'll be face down in a bowl of beer nuts! :D
it is a good book, too. he's got a good thing going.......

Back