Brewing tomorrow - HELP NEEDED

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
so I am going to try and run my 3 vessel eHERMS as a 2 Vessel Brewtus 20, doing a full volume mash.

Recipe:

Guessing at 60% eff

10# Pale US 2 Row
5# MO
1 Victory

.5 Galaxy @ 14 60min
.5 Citra @ 14 60min
.5 Galaxy @ 14 20 min
.5 Citra @ 14 20 min
1 Galaxy @ 14 flame out
1 Citra @ 14 flame out

Mash 60 min @ 154 - continuous recirculation

US05 @ 68ish

Figure on using 10 gallons of RO water and 2 gallons of tap with some gypsum added after I figure out how much.

Looking for about an 8 gallon boil.

leaving me with 6.5 to 6 gallons after boil.

Will be using 2 pumps to match flow rates and the PID will control the element in my BK for the mash.
Mash temp will be measured at the output of the BK before it returns back to the top of the mash.

Sound ok???

For some reason I am kinda freaking out....don't know why

T

Whats your normal efficiency? just guessing at 60% cause you are doing a full volume may be a false assumption. Lots of full volume BIABers get higher efficiency.

Normally around 75ish.

I will tighten the gap when I crush tonight, but if it comes out bigger I am ok with that!

T

Depends what you're going for.

Taking average values for the AA% and attenuation, I calculate you bitterness at 62 IBUs and 1.052 OG (4.88% abv).

Stylistically, thats the high end of bitterness for an English IPA, but in the middle for an American IPA. Either way thats lower than style on the OG/ABV. But you don't necessarily have to be "to style."

What I would be worried about is the OG/IBU ratio. With that low of an OG, it might come across overly bitter/harsh. Personally, I would include more grain in there to balance it out, or even cut back on the hops.

Seems solid man. I bet you'll do better than 60% on the mash efficiency but like you said, no problem if it comes out a little higher on OG. Plus you'll have that data for next time. If it were me I'd probably try to find something else to bitter with, but that's just a matter of taste.

It's always fun to experiment with new processes, so have fun.

Cheers.

Depends what you're going for.

Taking average values for the AA% and attenuation, I calculate you bitterness at 62 IBUs and 1.052 OG (4.88% abv).

Stylistically, thats the high end of bitterness for an English IPA, but in the middle for an American IPA. Either way thats lower than style on the OG/ABV. But you don't necessarily have to be "to style."

What I would be worried about is the OG/IBU ratio. With that low of an OG, it might come across overly bitter/harsh. Personally, I would include more grain in there to balance it out, or even cut back on the hops.

I can always add a pound or 2 of pale 2 row, got plenty at the house.

Thanks for the input

As an experiment, I recently did an IPA with no crystal malts and a 155 mash temp. I really, really, really wish I had done it more in the 150-152 range. It's not awful, it's just not great. Too sweet and full.

Oh and my recipe needed almost 5 ml of 88% lactic acid to get the pH right.

150 is just as easy as 155, lol

still need to run my numbers into my water sheet...off to do that now

Normally around 75ish.

I will tighten the gap when I crush tonight, but if it comes out bigger I am ok with that!

T

I wouldn't adjust your mill (how would you compare your efficiency to your normal process if you did?). Instead just estimate close to 70%. Just can't see a 15% drop from doing a full volume

Mash is almost done. Went with a total of 13 gallons of water and 18 pounds of grain

Back