Brewing the same recipe, but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300RUM

Reaction score
Using different Yeasts.

Does anybody do this regularly?

I'm asking because I've not used many different strains and thought since I'm brewing 10g batches why not?

I ferment 10 gallon batches in 2 fermenters anyway, why not? I do it all the time, and have learned a lot on what yeast can bring to a beer. give it a shot, I think you will pick up some good knowledge along the way.

I guess it depends on the yeasts. That's what Stone is doing with their "Belgo" releases. It seems like a very good way to learn the different yeast characteristics. You could even do the same yeast at different fermentation temperatures to see what flavors come out within a single strain.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to be doing this on the next few batches, I may even do it every time. I have only ever used S-05 or Nottingham, until the batches in the fermenter now (WLP029 & S-04)

WLP575 is a yeast I have my eye on and will be trying it soon.

I've done it with the past 4 or 5 batches. 8 gallon batch split into 2 - 5 gallon fermenters. Generally this was when I was trying out a new recipe, and wanted to see what they effect might be with different yeast, and which would be better.

yeah, i'm doing a 10 gallon batch of wort on monday that's going to be 5 gallons of helles lager and 5 gallons of belgian blonde. i do it all the time it works great.

Do it! I had the chance to try the same wort that was fermented with 5 different strains, including Brett. by Mikellier (spelling?) last year. It was like a pale ale wort, and then they did a lager strain, and english bitter strain, the Brett, a hefeweizen strain, and I can't quite remember the last yeast used, but you could very distinctly tell them apart. was very cool.

Back