Brewing Shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
Havent been able to brew in a while and now I'm building a brewing shed so I can get back into it. Total size is a 12x20, the left side will be for brewing and brewing storage. That room is 15x12. The right side is going to be for yard tools and tool storage, 5x12.
I'll be posting more pictures when I am able. It's been a slower process then I would like but I should be done with the roof soon.
20190327_153057.jpeg
received_2270380783235707.jpeg
20190312_140529.jpeg

Now that's commitment! :mug:

As functional as my ~200 square foot slice of the house has been for my humble brewery it is not without issues (eg: blessed with hardwood parquet floors and sheet rocked walls, neither of which are fond of splashed fluids). I'd love a wash-down space with floor drains and the works but that's just a dream...

Cheers!

Cool. Any little tips and tricks you learned, please share.[emoji481]

Happy to help!

My city limits outbuildings in my zoning (R-1) to 200 sq. ft., so I did a 10'x20' shed. I built mine on a poured concrete slab and installed a 3/4" marine plywood flooring on 2x2 furring with 1-1/2" foam board insulation beneath the plywood (it's Minnesota). Since my shed was for woodworking, I didn't need interior walls to endure moisture, so I used ordinary 1/2" plywood. I did insulate the walls with R-13 craft-faced fiberglass and covered the fiberglass batts with 4 mil poly right over the studs inside. Tallahassee winters are certainly warmer than here, but don't know if you plan to insulate the walls. I suppose it gets chilly there some days in winter? I assume you will finish your interior walls with something moisture-resistant, like green drywall or cement board?

I bought off-the shelf 12' trusses for the roof, placing them 16" o.c. And I insulated above the ceiling.

I installed a subpanel in the shed with a 60A breaker in the main box feeding it. I have a 5000 BTU window ac for summer and a 5000W 240V elec heater for winter. That little heater will keep it around 65 on all but the coldest days.

If you have any questions along the way, feel free to PM me, as I check HBT often.

IMG_5980.JPG

Happy to help!

My city limits outbuildings in my zoning (R-1) to 200 sq. ft., so I did a 10'x20' shed. I built mine on a poured concrete slab and installed a 3/4" marine plywood flooring on 2x2 furring with 1-1/2" foam board insulation beneath the plywood (it's Minnesota). Since my shed was for woodworking, I didn't need interior walls to endure moisture, so I used ordinary 1/2" plywood. I did insulate the walls with R-13 craft-faced fiberglass and covered the fiberglass batts with 4 mil poly right over the studs inside. Tallahassee winters are certainly warmer than here, but don't know if you plan to insulate the walls. I suppose it gets chilly there some days in winter? I assume you will finish your interior walls with something moisture-resistant, like green drywall or cement board?

I bought off-the shelf 12' trusses for the roof, placing them 16" o.c. And I insulated above the ceiling.

I installed a subpanel in the shed with a 60A breaker in the main box feeding it. I have a 5000 BTU window ac for summer and a 5000W 240V elec heater for winter. That little heater will keep it around 65 on all but the coldest days.

If you have any questions along the way, feel free to PM me, as I check HBT often.

View attachment 620882
Wowza, beautiful work. To op,best of luck. Looks awesome.

Looking good! Any plans for plumbing?
Currently I only plan on running a garden hose only for cooling purposes. I use RO water from the store. I might get a plumber to estimate what it would cost to run both plumbing and sewer, I have a feeling the sewer is going to be costly since it would have to run all the way to the front of the house to tie in.

Back