Brewing RIS soft water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

najohns

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me with a question about brewing a Russian Imperial Stout with soft water. I've heard that soft water can help with mouth feel and low bicarb can help dark malts pop and I was wondering if the following water profile would be a problem for an RIS? Bru'n Water says I'm at a pH of 5.2, based on my grist. Am I going to have issues mash pH or attenuation? Are the salt additions appropriate? FYI, I'm doing a double mash, with no sparge, so the following additions are for one 3.25 gallon batch. Thanks.

Calcium(Ca): 59.8 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 3.4 ppm
Sodium(Na): 5.2 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 50.3 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 48.8 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 65.2 ppm

SRM = 70

Mash Parameters
Batch Volume (gal) 3.25 x 2
Hardness (ppm as CaCO3) 163
RA (ppm as CaCO3) 9
Estimated Mash pH 5.2
Alkalinity (ppm as CaCO3) 54
SO4/Cl Ratio 1.03

Mineral (grams)
Gypsum (CaSO4) 1.6
Epsom Salt (MgSO4) 0.9
Canning Salt (NaCl) 0.3
Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 2.1
Pickling Lime (Ca(OH)2) 1.0

I used to have very soft water in a previous location, and without adding minerals to the water I would end up with dark beers bordering on soy sauce. I think it was when using roasted barley more than anything.

I cannot remember what i added back then (over 5 years ago), but if you follow the water primer on this site you shouldn't have much problem.

I'd leave out the epsom salts and the gypsum (you don't need the sulfate), and leave out the canning salt. I'd just go with calcium chloride to increase the chloride and calcium (calcium helps with clarity, but it in an RIS I guess it really wouldn't matter too much) but the other additions aren't needed.

Without any of the additions, except for the calcium chloride, what is the projected mash pH? I'd like to see 5.5 or so for an RIS.

I brewed this last Sunday and went with the following water:

Calcium(Ca): 91 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 3 ppm
Sodium(Na): 14 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 50 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 51 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 181 ppm

Mash Parameters
Batch Volume (gal) 3.25 x 2
Hardness (ppm as CaCO3) 242
RA (ppm as CaCO3) 83
Estimated Mash pH 5.5