Brewing my first Saisson - looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zole2112

Reaction score
I've had my Saisson (Dupont clone) fermenting in the primary for about 7 weeks (at about 80 deg F). I checked the gravity about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was slightly above 1.000. I tasted the sample I pulled, it smells delicious but the flavor is not nearly robust as the smell. Is there a way I can enhance the flavor further or will it continue to evolve after bottling?

Wow, you are one patient homebrewer. 7 weeks is a long fermentation. I think it is safe to bottle/keg.

Your flavors will change as the beer carbonates, so I would leave it as is.

That being said, many people will add flavorings post fermentation. I actually have a saison in primary now that I will be adding some ginger candi syrup to after the primary fermentation slows.

Wow, you are one patient homebrewer. 7 weeks is a long fermentation. I think it is safe to bottle/keg.

Your flavors will change as the beer carbonates, so I would leave it as is.

That being said, many people will add flavorings post fermentation. I actually have a saison in primary now that I will be adding some ginger candi syrup to after the primary fermentation slows.

ahhaha, thanks! I'm not patient but I love good beer. I'll bottle this weekend and see what I get. Brewing a Beamish Stout clone over the weekend too.

Good luck with your Saison!

The flavor will improve with some age.

I always bottle 1/2 the batch in 12 oz bottle and the other half in 22 oz. I set the bombers aside to age. I drink the 12 oz ones fresh and am always surprised how the 22 oz ones age.

I think I'll bottle some 22 oz too and let them age, that sounds interesting. The rest I want for my daughter's wedding in August, my mouth is already watering.

Back