Brewing my first batch and i have a couple questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstatemallards

Reaction score
I'm currently in the fermenting stages of my first beer (wheat beer) and I'm wondering how long I should let it ferment. My instructions from the home brew store say something like 7-14 days but I keep reading on here that everyone let's their beer ferment for a few weeks or a month. I checked the gravity yesterday and it was 1.012. If it comes out the same today should I still let it ferment for a week or so. I guess I just don't understand the point.

Also, I taste tested the beer yesterday when I did the reading and it had a great flavor but had sort of a sour aftertaste. My wife didn't notice it but I did and I was wondering if that's just what warm flat beer is supposed to taste like.

Thanks!

Final gravities differ by style, but usually around 1.08 (low/dry) to 1.02 (high/sweet). Several things can affect it, but in a nut shell, when signs of vigorous fermentation ceases (4-7 days) most of the process is finished, and and you wait a few more days, or xfer it into a clean fermenter to let the yeast and trub settle out for a clean beer. Your doing a wheat beer, so you dont have to worry about clarity. If your gravity doesnt change, your done, and I would xfer and crash cool in a fridge for a few days if you keg, or go ahead and bottle. The aging theory mostly pertains to heavy and complex beers. Wheats and pales you can go from grain to glass in as little as 14 days with the right procedures and kegging of course. And of course, this will bring great debate.... let the replies begin.... The sourness may be an infection, poor quality ingredients or just a green beer.

I typically bottle after 3 readings (1 per day) from the hydrometer with the same reading. It usually doesn't hurt your beer to leave it in a few extra days. Do it however you want though...it's your brew!

The aftertaste is most likely just being a green beer. After you bottle it, let it sit for a couple of weeks and try it again. If it is still green let it sit for a couple more! The longer it conditions in the bottle the more mellow and balanced the flavors become.

Good luck and congrats!

Bring the temp up and do a dactyl rest. Raising the temp will encourage the yeasts that are in solution to speed up and consume the nasty byproducts that you may taste in the finished beer, not just the dactyl. By all means trust your hydrometer. But keeping it on the cake until it clears may help the taste as long as it is not from poor sanitation.

Latest posts

Back