Brewing Lagers in North Dakota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhertel

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing some lagers in a fridge that i have and i will be storing it in an uninsulated garage. The outside temp can get -40 at times and was wondering what would work to keep the fridge in the 50's for fermenting lagers.

I don't think you are supposed to run a fridge in an environment colder than freezing. My guess is that a few degrees would be okay, but not -40. Of course, it won't get to -40 inside your garage but it could get to well below zero.

What will work to keep your fridge in the 50's (actually you would want it right at 50 or even just below in most cases) is a Johnson temperature controller.

I don't think you are supposed to run a fridge in an environment colder than freezing. My guess is that a few degrees would be okay, but not -40. Of course, it won't get to -40 inside your garage but it could get to well below zero.

What will work to keep your fridge in the 50's (actually you would want it right at 50 or even just below in most cases) is a Johnson temperature controller.

I do have a Johnson temp controller. I would use the heat setting on it so the compressor will not be running. Would a brew belt keep it warm enough at the proper fermenting temp?

You will need more than a brew belt to heat it up that much. I would recommend moving your fridge to a warmer location. Anything in your fridge in that kind of weather will freeze.

A heat lamp or tiny spaceheater should actually work pretty well in such a small space. I've been toying with the idea of running one of those heated blankets on the hot side of a controller to lager this winter in my garage... perhaps in a styrofoam box.

A heat lamp or tiny spaceheater should actually work pretty well in such a small space. I've been toying with the idea of running one of those heated blankets on the hot side of a controller to lager this winter in my garage... perhaps in a styrofoam box.

Thanks Jawbox, I was toying with the idea of some kind of small heater. I cant put the fridge inside since i will be in an apartment.

This product is designed for your situation, but I think you might need some type of controller or thermostat to hook it up to.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_SPACE_HEATER_P518C100.cfm

That's amazing. Could work very well in this case.

I just dont think the pad will keep it warm enough in the fridge when the temp dips -20 below zero. I am gonna try a small heater and see if that will help. Thanks for the info though...:mug:

Interesting. So you want to find the tiniest heater possible and put it in the fridge with your beer, then use the Johnson to run the heater as needed?

dhertel - Just wondering, did you find/try a solution ?

I just got done moving in my new apartment and will try the heater solution hopefully in a couple weeks. Gonna try a couple Lager recipes. I am going to brew my Java Stout in the next few days first. I have a storage space that stays around 60 so the Stout will ferment there. I will let you know how it goes. :mug:

Good plan! I'm curious to how that space heater will work out. I'm just hoping to get the garage warmed up enough to brew a batch of two this weekend. Brrrr.

i am in the same boat. i have been hearing about people using christmas lights wrapped around the bucket with a towel to keep it warm. how warm would they get the bucket and would there be enough heat to lager or less to the point of coldcrashing in sub zero temps?

i am in the same boat. i have been hearing about people using christmas lights wrapped around the bucket with a towel to keep it warm. how warm would they get the bucket and would there be enough heat to lager or less to the point of coldcrashing in sub zero temps?

I really have a hard time believing that Christmas lights would keep it warm enough in subzero temps. im gonna start doing some testing with small heaters and my johnson controller soon. As soon as i get settled in a little. :mug:

i thought so too but apparently they put out alot of heat and if they are insulated by a blanket. put my carboy out last night for three hours to cold crash. the airlock froze but the beer stayed liquid. brought it inside wrapped a blanket around it. everything fell over night.

I tried a small heater from work that they let me use. Had a few extra on hand. We use them to heat telco cabinets in the winter. Its a small metal heater that has no problem keeping the heat at 50 to 55 in my fridge. It however is an expensive unit costing around 300.00. I told them i didnt want to pay that much but said that i could use it and try it out. :ban: :rockin:

its ironic, you guys have it too cold and finding ways to stay warm and I have it too hot and finding ways to keep it below 28c.

its ironic, you guys have it too cold and finding ways to stay warm and I have it too hot and finding ways to keep it below 28c.

I will have the ultimate test this weekend when its suppose to get -35F. I would rather have your problem schia. Just get a fermenting fridge and a temp controller and your all set. :mug:

an incandescent light bulb in your fridge should do the trick. use a timer and try different wattage bulbs to find the temps you want. cheap and easy.

I will have the ultimate test this weekend when its suppose to get -35F. I would rather have your problem schia. Just get a fermenting fridge and a temp controller and your all set. :mug:

Come to think of it I suddenly feel better. :D -35F thats bloody cold! Good luck with staying warm and keep us posted.

The Heater is working great. Its been keeping it at a perfect 52f. The American Lager has been fermenting away for a week now. Gonna start my Czech pilsner on Thursday. Got the starter going tonight.

The Heater is working great. Its been keeping it at a perfect 52f. The American Lager has been fermenting away for a week now. Gonna start my Czech pilsner on Thursday. Got the starter going tonight.

you have the for that Czech pilsner?

you have the for that Czech pilsner?

I will be fermenting both beers in the fridge with the heater. I would of had both of them fermenting at the same time but my starter that i had made for the czech pils broke all over the floor and i had to order more yeast. :tank:

Latest posts

Back