Brewing in Germany ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhood

Reaction score
So we have a pot now to make some beer here in Germany. I have made beer about 9 times in the USA but I am having some more difficulties here in Germany. I made one recipe but it is coming out to be pretty expensive.. I was wondering if someone could help me dumb down this beer to make it a nice balanced pale ale for a little cheaper... here is what i came up with....

67% 5lb Extra Light Dry Extract

18% 1lb 6oz Weyermann Pale Ale

10% 12 oz Melanoiden Malt

5% 6 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Hops:
1 oz Perle 60min
1 oz Fuggle 30 min
1 oz Fuggle 10min

Wyeast American 1056

the projected outcome would be so.. OG 1.057 FG 1.014 Color 5 SRM Al. 5.7%

Here is the website.. It is in german but the majority of ingrdients can be understood in english.. hops- hopfen. malt and fermentables- malz , hefe- yeast

Any help would be great!
Just looking to make something different than what you can find here in germany and i think a nice balance pale ale would be great!

So you think my ingredients I laid out will make a decent pale ale? The liquid extract is a good idea that saves about 8 euros or so:) any other ideas?
cheers
Gary

So you think my ingredients I laid out will make a decent pale ale? The liquid extract is a good idea that saves about 8 euros or so:) any other ideas?
cheers
Gary

I don't know. I didn't check the recipe. Maybe others can chime in.

Kai

Gary, are you going to steep the grains, or are you going to do a partial mash? If its a partial mash, then what you have will probably work.

If you want to use the extract/steep method, though, I'd suggest getting rid of your pale ale malt, up the extract to compensate, and add in a specialty malt or two to add flavor and depth, such as a caramel or crystal 20 or 40. This is in addition to carapils (which adds mouthfeel/body, but not flavor).

Even if you are doing a partial mash and want to mash the pale ale malt, I would still consider adding some caramel or crystal malt.

In any case, good luck! :mug:

Yea finding specialty malts in germany are particularly hard.. Most of the time i find they just sell very generic malt types. No crystal 20, 40 etc.. I have re-looked into the recipe and thought that this might be something better.. on the lines of what you are saying.. closest thing i could find to a specialty malt sub. to the pale ale malt. Any corrections or help would be great.. also should i follow the procedure of extract/steep method? (3- 3.3 qt water @ 164 w/ grains for 30-45 mins) I am targeting to make a Pale Ale. In the Beer Calculus I have all the dimensions needed to hit the target. However, will this beer come out tasting decent?

6lb light/pale malt syrup
1 1/2 lb Weyermann Carahell
12 oz Melandonin
8 oz cara-pils

1 oz Perle 60min
1 oz Fuggle 30 min
1 oz Fuggle 10 min

Safale US-05

Thanks for all the help!

Just a last question. I have used the Meladonin malt a couple times but never really understood its properties.. I have recently read that it is a mashing grain.. Would it make a difference if i left it out of my recipe or not? I am not using a lot of it.. I figured the reason I have seen it in most recipes and I have included it in 2 of my own is to add some color and taste. But this will not improve any sugars in the beer. Am I correct on this? Trying to learn a little more everyday:)
cheers
Gary

Back