Brewing in Canada eh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
I had a Canadian moment this evening as I was standing out in my garage with the door open and its -5C (23F) outside boiling my next great batch. As I stood there shivering stirring my first lot of hops into the boil, my right hand hot from the steam and my left hand freezing from the beer held in it, I thought to myself, "I wonder if the guys in California really appreciate home brewed beer the way us Canadians do?"
Gotta go, time to add my 45 minute hops.:ban:

This is truly Canadian. Very similar to me standing in 18" of snow at -20c (-4f) with beer in hand and a steak on the BBQ.

:rockin:

Man, I do not miss those okanagan winters. I've lived in Kamloops and Kelowna...

The weather in Victoria is much better.

Don't need a chiller. Just plop the brewpot in the snow for half an hour.

Doesn't work. The snow in the immediate area around the pot melts and the void becomes a protective blanket from the outside cold air. You have to keep moving the pot every few minutes.

Doesn't work. The snow in the immediate area around the pot melts and the void becomes a protective blanket from the outside cold air. You have to keep moving the pot every few minutes.

I'm sure every northern brewer tries it once with disappointing results.
However it's a great climate for Lagering.

3 months of winter is a small price to pay for 5 months of REAL summer.

True, although the summers in vic are not bad. That being said, I have lived in Kelowna for the past 2 summers and come back to vic for school in fall.

Valid question always a concern, especially now that the ice flows have been melting (see Al Gore and David Suzuki). Yesterday while I was brewing I had one watching me. Frickin thing wouldn't go away and I needed to get the pot outside to cool my wort. This batch better turn out or I'm going hunting for a new rug.
PolarBear.jpg

Back