Brewing imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobiebrewer

Reaction score
I'm brewing this recipe soon. Have all ingredients. Not confident in repitching yeast yet. Worried about attenuation and thinking about pitching 2 packets of wlpoo1. What would be the negative effects of this? Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm brewing this recipe soon. Have all ingredients. Not confident in repitching yeast yet. Worried about attenuation and thinking about pitching 2 packets of wlpoo1. What would be the negative effects of this? Any tips would be appreciated.

Sorry. Couldn't get the picture of the recipe to show up on post.

Pulse light lme. 12#
" " dme 1#

Black barley. 1.5#
Special B. 1#
Caramunich 55°L .5#
Chocolate malt. .5#
Pale choc malt. .5#

Hops
Horizon. 60min. 2oz
Kent goldings 10min. 2oz
" " 1min. 2oz

Wlp001

What kind of OG are you going to be at? Do you make starters or no?

Quick answer is that there is nothing wrong with pitching two packs of WLP001. People do it all the time. Another question is are those 2 packs enough based on the OG of the recipe?

What kind of OG are you going to be at? Do you make starters or no?

Quick answer is that there is nothing wrong with pitching two packs of WLP001. People do it all the time. Another question is are those 2 packs enough based on the OG of the recipe?
Thanks for your input.
OG 1.075-1.110
FG. 1.020-1.030

I haven't made a starter or repitched yeast yet.

So for starters, here's the yeast calculator I like to use...

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

**I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here...
1. You're doing 5 gallon batch
2. I averaged out your OG at 1.095
3. I can't find the initial cell count for WLP001, so I'm guessing 100 billion which is what Wyeast offers

For this beer, the yeast calculator above says you need 322 billion cells. Even if you pitch two packs of 100 billion, you're still only at 200 billion.

I think you would be ok to just pitch two packs. 3 packs may be more ideal but you could get away with 2 I think. This is where starters come in. You buy one pack and build it up and it saves you some money.

Store 1/2 of this Stout for a year. You will be amazed at the quality after it ages for a year. I did this once and the fresh brew took a 2nd place and a year later the aged brew took first. :)

Add some brown sugar into the malt bill. The simple sugars will help the yeast propagate. Without it, there’s too much maltose and maltotriose that’ll inhibit yeast growth.

As recommended, build up a large starter. If that is not an option, IMO you would be better with four vials of WLP001 unless you get them within a couple days of the manufacturing date then three might work. A less expensive option is to postpone the Imperial Stout and brew a smaller beer with a finished ABV of 5-6% using WLP001. Then, when that beer is finished, rack it off the yeast cake and rack the Imperial onto the cake. Basically, you are building a massive starter. This is how I do any beer that is 9% or higher and it has always worked well for me. Just keep the the starter beer simple or similar.

-J-

Latest posts

Back