Brewing Extract in Plastic Bin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerbilFX

Reaction score
I've just put a new brew on in a plastic bin I decided to use as a fermenter (it's brand new #5 plastic, thoroughly cleaned). The lawn-care guys my landlord uses slashed a hole in my original fermenter with what I imagine was an edge trimmer while I had it sitting empty in my back yard. I'm brewing from a store-bought extract syrup.

Each can of extract makes 23L of beer. I've used 2 cans in my new bin. I followed the recipe on the cans, simply using double the amount of water. I pitched the yeast at about 26 Celcius. Like last time, I sprinkled the yeast over the wort and left it on top.

It's a 75L bin, so I filled it about 2/3 full. I've carefully cut a hole for the airlock and grommet. However, the lid is not airtight. It's a very snug overlapping fit, but not perfectly airtight.

Can anyone see any issues with this technique? I'm especially concerned with the excess headspace (~25L) filled with air above the wort and the less-than-airtight seal of the lid.

I'd attach a photo of this new fermenter, but the forum won't let me...:(

I know most people here prefer #1 and #2 plastic for brewing, but I guess you'll just have to decide for yourself when the beer is done.

The fermentation will displace the air with co2, so with primary fermentation I would not be concerned about the air. Longer term storage/aging could be a problem without an airtight seal. I don't know enough about plastic to comment on #5.

The fermentation will displace the air with co2, so with primary fermentation I would not be concerned about the air.

I was more worried that so much air left in the container may prevent fermentation from even beginning. It's been in for 24hrs now and although I'm not getting any visible bubbling through the airlock, there is a hint of a smell developing. Hopefully it's on its way.

Longer term storage/aging could be a problem without an airtight seal.

It'll be put into bottles for conditioning as soon as primary fermentation is done.

I was more worried that so much air left in the container may prevent fermentation from even beginning.

Air in the headspace of the fermenter will not prevent fermentation, so don't sweat that.

Without a good seal in the lid your air lock probably won't see much action, if any. Don't worry about it for at least 72 hours.

In the olden days they used to use a 5 gallon crock with a towel over the top and a rubber band to hold the towel in place. I use a 12.2 gallon plastic bucket that used to hold pool clorine it has a screw on lid and is not air tight so I only get a lot of action out of my bubbler when it is creating more than can escape through the threads holding the lid on. The main thing is to make sure it is food safe plastic. It will be marked on the bottom.

In the olden days they used to use a 5 gallon crock with a towel over the top and a rubber band to hold the towel in place.

Apparently I was living in the olden days just four years ago! I used the towel method back then because I had no bucket lids and I used a secondary. I would just rack after primary was over.

If you are not satisfied with this #5 plastic and want a cheap solution you can buy brand new food grade buckets (#2) that hold 5 gallons in the paint department for $3.50 including lid. Just drill a hole for the grommet and add an air lock and this size will be good for fermenting 3 - 4 gallon batches. Gromments are about 50 cents at your local hardware store and three piece air-locks run about a dollar. I like splitting my wort between these two buckets if I ever want to try using two different yeast for the same recipe.

Well, I'd say it's working.

I opened the lid to test the SG of a sample and got a good wiff of that beautiful "nearly beer" odour. I took a sample in my testing flask, which gave a reading of 1006 (which is what the can's instructions said it should be when it's finished).

I'm leaving it to tomorrow to take another reading. If it's still at 1006, I'll transfer it to bottles for conditioning.

I've since found that my make-shift fermenter is actually a fluroelastomer compound, not #5 plastic. My research suggests it is a food-safe plastic, and the wort seems to be OK.

Here's hoping....

This batch should be OK, but I'd invest in a new bucket with a proper fitting lid for the next batch, or a carboy. Keep the current one as a bottling bucket though as it is fine for that.

Be careful of opening it up too many times, you don't really want to let the air in. Just grab a sample and close it up again.

Well, all looks good. I did a lunchtime reading 2 days ago, a morning reading yesterday and another reading this morning. All show a steady 1006, my target FG.

I really should've expected a quicker fermentation. It's summer here and very warm.

I took a sip out of my sample flask and was pleasantly surprised by what I tasted. So much so that I've poured it into a glass for a wee drinky (despite the fact that it's flat).

I think we all taste what we make long before it is ready. Who here has never had a flat beer?

Back