Brewing Degree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
I was wondering - what do the brewmasters get degrees in? Chemistry? Biology? Or are there actual brewing schools out there? In short, how does one go about getting his foot in the door of the industry?

UC-Davis has a pretty well known program, as does Weihenstephaner in Germany. There's another here in the US, but I can't think of who offers it at the moment.

~Edit: Duh, it's right there in that article....it's the Siebel Institute of Technology in Chicago.

Seibel Institute
California Brewers Guild
American Brewers Guild
UC-Davis

most have a cbt degree too. i think they are about 27 weeks for the brewers apprentice programs. they have a deal with breweries/brewpubs around the country that they use to do the hands-on training for the people that do the cbt. believe me, i've looked at it long and hard............

i've seen some with chemistry degrees, food sciences degrees, and some that worked by day learning to brew at a brew pub, and waited tables at the brewpub night. i'd do it in a heart beat!!!!!

well, it's like this - I've been studying music, but I'm changing my major and I want to eventually build a craft brewery. I'm thinking business school with a minor in biology would be a good choice? Maybe I could take a semester off and do one of the brewing programs. Thanks for the input guys.

and maybe a dumb question - what's a cbt degree? lol thanks

I have looked into the same degree and still am. I'm in school at CSU in fort collins, co where new belguim brewery calls home. Anyways, you want a undergrad degree in chem, biochem, or microbiology. You can really major in anything as long as you have a background in chem and bio.This background will make the terminology way easier in any brewery program. Personally im studying microbiology, for I think that offers the best way. I have all the biology and chemistry background needed and I get to learn all the little pathways our yeasty friends conduct to make beer! In the end, the background is hugely important however you get it. Good Luck!

Dragonfly said:
and maybe a dumb question - what's a cbt degree? lol thanks
computer based training = distance education. sorry, my work terminology sometimes crosses over to the good side. :D we use CBT for all kinds of junk.

I'm thinkin, I've basically narrowed my options down to two paths: and they go alike this:

1) business school @ IU w microbiology minor - I think that I could kick some serious ass on the business side of the spectrum, and if I took one of the courses in Chicago or maybe even UC-davis and brewed all thru college I could be ok.

option 2) fermentation science degree from Oregon St - does anyone know anything about this place? I checked it out online and they look like the bomb! But, that would prepare me for work in a brewery, but not how to run one.

decisions, decisions, decisions. Anyone feel like spittin some advice? :eek:

and cbt - sounds like it would be hard on the eyes lol

To be honest I failed chemistry and biology in college, perhaps if they would have related it to making beer I would have stayed awake. Anyway, I make a damn good beer now. If you want to get your foot in the door, go ask to be an apprentice somewhere, and be persistant. I think the business end is HUGE. You could make the greatest beer in the world, but if you can't market your product you won't get off the ground. Also, read the thread on selling beer. Good luck!

i got an e-mail from the Siebel Institute yesterday about Oregon St. Siebel is having a special program that two prof's from OSU are doing over the American Beer Business over the past 50 years. i didn't realize they had a brewers program? pretty cool.
just depends on what you want to do. brew, or run a business. read "Bbrewing Up A Business" by the guy that owns Dogfish Head Brewery. he started brewing, now has three brewers that brew for him, but he misses the brewing part!!!

good luck!

hey Deroux's, are you gonna go to that thing in Chicago? I think I might - it's only like 100 bucks and it's not till October - but I dunno how fast they're gonna sell out of tickets.... I sent 'em an email but they haven't gotten back to me yet

he's talking about the Siebel Institute of Technology in Chicago. they are a brewing school w/ campuses in Chicago, Munich, and Montreal (i think?).

i'd love to go Dragonfly, but won't get to. it would be some good info to get a hold of if somebody was wanting to get into the business. go to www.beertown.org. they have a series of books you can guy that are for starting a brew business. plus they have other industry statistics you can read through. Siebel also does a week long advanced homebrewers course in Durango, CO that would be a blast. i think it's going on this week? they go through the process of all-grain brewing, and do some hands on duringthe week. they visit a couple breweries and brew pubs for "field trips". bad thing is, it's almost as much as the web based concise course in brewing degree!!!!

DeRoux, I actually looked into the homebrewers class in Durango. It is next week the 25-29. The syllabus looked awesome, but I couldn't swing the $1200 class fee. I will have to see what the $100 class is in Chicago.

Dragonfly said:
I'm thinkin, I've basically narrowed my options down to two paths: and they go alike this:

1) business school @ IU w microbiology minor - I think that I could kick some serious ass on the business side of the spectrum, and if I took one of the courses in Chicago or maybe even UC-davis and brewed all thru college I could be ok.

option 2) fermentation science degree from Oregon St - does anyone know anything about this place? I checked it out online and they look like the bomb! But, that would prepare me for work in a brewery, but not how to run one.

decisions, decisions, decisions. Anyone feel like spittin some advice? :eek:

and cbt - sounds like it would be hard on the eyes lol

Depends what you want to do. Do you want to start a brewery from scratch? A business degree would probably help a lot with that, and if you're confident in your brewing abilities on a commercial scale, then who needs a degree.

But if you want to get a job in an existing brewery, most of the big (and even small) ones like to see a degree in fermentation science. Every brewer who passed through the brewery I used to work at (not as a brewer) had a Davis degree. Of course there are lots of folks who work at breweries without degrees, but if you want to be one of the actual brewers, you'll need a degree.

Cheers :D

yep, with travel and room, it's a little pricey. but it would be a blast.

i'd rather take a trip to the GABF in October!

My fellow brewers,

Advanced degrees are like drivers licenses; everyone has one but only a few licensed drivers get into the Indy 500. My point is that experience and skill will get you further than a weekend in Chicago. My hero, Pete Slosberg doesn't have a brewing degree. He just brewed alot of beer. The Sam Adams guy, Jim Kock is a lawyer.

Beergod, I'm not looking for a brewing degree, just simply hanging out and trading notes with other brewers. I happen to live near Chicago.

I would love to go to Australia. There is a program there that offers a Masters degree in Brewing Science. I am a fairly recent college grad. I plan to spend the next few years learning as much as I can about running my own business, and look to open up a brewpub of my own eventually.

Of course, before that point I have a lot of work to do with generating my business plan, securing finances, and absorbing as much brewing information as I can. I have quite a collection of books I have dedicated myself to reading, so hopefully this is a good start.

Quote: Originally Posted by busmanray

brewing degree? ask HOMEBREWER 99-i think he has one.or he thinks he has one.

ORRELSE said:
Remarks like that aren't going to get you anywhere on this forum.

Why would you even say anything like that? :confused:

HA!!!!! Funny stuff!!!! Actually, I'm closer to having a Drinking Degree!! :D

I've been drinking longer than you've been breathing, but that's neither here nor there.... :cool:

I just got back from Germany last Sat. and brought back 4 party kegs. 2 lagers from a local gasthaus I used to visit and 2 Paulaner Hefe Weizens.

ANYONE WANT SOME?????

I just popped a (party fass) keg of my own German Ale and ummmmmmm!!! is all I can say. Great stuff. I must do that again.

Keep up the good humor....now go brew something..... :D

hey homebrewer
hope u had a good vacation in germany.
as far as drinking longer than ive been breathing, i guess your right.
I was born 7-25 1954,guess u got me by a 6 pack?

busmanray said:
hey homebrewer hope u had a good vacation in germany.
as far as drinking longer than ive been breathing, i guess your right. I was born 7-25 1954, guess u got me by a 6 pack?

A whopping 3 days anyway! Happy Belated Birthday!

I'm Irish so I had my first taste of whiskey the day I left the hospital, or so I'm told.

I actually was on a business trip. I had to modify a bunch of 120mm Mortars on about 8 cities over there.

I did have a 2005 Audi A6 Turbo Diesel for a rental. I got it up to 230 kmph (about 142 MPH) on the autobahn.:D

I've had my wife's BMW 525 to 240 kmph (about 148.8 MPH) several times when we lived there. I could have gone faster, but I would have had to invest in better tires. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I did have a 2005 Audi A6 Turbo Diesel for a rental. I got it up to 230 kmph (about 142 MPH) on the autobahn.:D

May we assume that was on the way to (not from) the Rathskeller?

You're quite welcome...tho my concern is somewhat selfish in that I've noticed a lot more action here abouts when you're here vs when you're gone :)

That, and I can relate to the ponytail thang :cool:

Actually my friend, I'm from Cincinnati and we've got both a Samuel Adams and MillerCoors plants here. I interned at the MillerCoors plant last summer and the brewers at both plants were all either Brewing majors or Chemical Engineering majors. (the engineering being the important part).

Looking at your Oregon St. idea. They only offer a minor in Fermentation Science. I'd major in ChemE and minor in the FermSci.

I was actually wondering this part myself. Im nearly done w /molecular biology degree(real close to microbiology) and I wanted to start looking into jobs pertaining to yeast through breweries or through labs. I'm having quite a hard time finding a Masters Degree related to brewing science! I really, really wish I could find one, but maybe I may have to put more focus into Fermentation science and try to contact companies and see what they want.

Any thoughts.

I'm a microbiology major, graduating next spring. The part time job I work is actually with fungal genetics. More plant pathology than brewing science though. I gotta say, brewing is more about knowledge of the process than technical knowledge. A brewing degree isnt gonna teach you anything that you cant learn from experience and this website. If you do something like micro at least you'll be keeping your options open.

I thought Mechanical Engineering would be a good fit, but unless I take Organic Chem and Micro-biology I may not have the entire desired back ground.

However if you look at Che they don't do thermo or heat transfer which would help a lot in an actual brewing process.

I live near UC Davis. I have been getting brewing science texts from students through craigslist. I am essentially getting the education with out the cost of tuition. I will not get the degree... but then again I have no desire to be a production brewer, so no need for the piece of paper.

I used to work at a franchise brewpub (Rock Bottom/Big River) as a bartender, and would often help out the brewer. He enjoyed the travel and making beer, but in the bigger picture, he certainly didn't make much money. At the time I was working there (1999-2000), the brewer was making about 32K. I know that might seem alot to a college student, but understand that he probably was never in his life going to make much more than that. I'd rather work my way up the ladder doing something else, then own my own small brewery by the time I'm 60. Anyway, that's just me. I would LOOOOOOVE to be a professional brewer, but I'm not sure I would want to be one for 40+ years in the corporate world as a production brewer making the same 6-8 recipes OVER AND OVER.

Hey…I am here wondering to get brewing degree but I have no any idea that in which field I have to get degree in chemistry or in biology. My friend suggested me to get degree in biology. Are there any universities that offer fake degree? Please suggest me best university.

fake degree

This sounds like another degree that will put you up to your ears in debt. Then, once you graduate, if you can find a job in the field, you live in the poor house because you can't afford your student loan payments. Go to college to get a job. If you want to be well rounded, travel. You'll learn a lot and it'll be cheaper.

Back