Brewing Before work.. what did it cost me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
sigh i made it to the transfer and i hit the kettle lid. It hit my hydrometer sample... well. RIP new hydrometer

If anyone wants a good hydrometer I suggest brewing America brand. I bought mine full price and plan to get another

Attachments

• 20210604_181912.jpg
    20210604_181912.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 176
that's cool never knew one was made. do you own one?

my 4 year old one is still alive, but i wanted one with a very exact scale. my old one is a cheap one you would get with a homebrew kit.

Last edited:
that's a bummer they don't just sell the hydrometer by itself because it looks really nice. I've had bad experiences with glass grad. cylinders like that.. I only use plastic now with a nice scar across my forearm for my reason 😓

that's cool never knew one was made. do you own one?

my 4 year old one is still alive, but i wanted one with a very exact scale. my old one is a cheap one you would get with a homebrew kit.

No. Saw it and filed away for if I ever break the glass one I have.

If anyone wants a good hydrometer I suggest brewing America brand. I bought mine full price and plan to get another
If you brew long enough, you're going to break a hydrometer. It is was it is and luckily they're fairly inexpensive.

that's a bummer they don't just sell the hydrometer by itself because it looks really nice. I've had bad experiences with glass grad. cylinders like that.. I only use plastic now with a nice scar across my forearm for my reason 😓

I'd think they do, it might just be out of stock at the moment. I've been meaning to order a backup because I really like mine. I also have their mash hydrometer but find it impractical to use since adding the wort to a test jar and adding the hydrometer cools it dramatically from the 155F calibration temp.

I'd be curious to hear more about your injury. I never thought about the cylinder being particularly dangerous.

I'd use a refractometer for measuring any wort gravities before fermentation. Then a hydrometer for FG sample(s), and in the comfort of a (kitchen) counter.

I prefer using the clear plastic (acrylic) hydrometer jars with a large footing. Pretty much unbreakable and much more stable. They'll may develop crazing (thin, spiderweb cracks) over time, but remain just as useful for the job.

The thermo-hydrometer is not available without buying it as part of a kit.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We no longer sell the Thermo-hydrometer as a solo item. We found most folks liked having an extra test jar on hand, so the sales velocity of the Thermo-hydrometer as a solo item was not strong enough to continue to carry it as a solo item. However, it is a great tool for brewing and we hope you give it a try and find you love working with it! By the way, it is hand-crafted here in America by multi-generational glassblowers. We are proud to have brought back hydrometer making to America!

I actually bought mine with the hydrometer only. Not sure if things changed. But the cylinder is worth it as my old one wasn't deep enough.

that's wild, i could see how that could happen. i was dealing with more of the mess last night and my cylinder was plastic and cracked. Going to give it to my 4 year old. she will think its super cool.

I've related this so many times I think the jinx potential has been worn down, but I still have the same triple scale hydro I bought in 2004.
Otoh, I have shattered four glass and two polycarbonate hydro tubes over the same 17 year period. The plastic tubes just make bigger/fewer pieces and are maybe less likely to cut a bare foot...

Cheers!

I'd use a refractometer for measuring any wort gravities before fermentation. Then a hydrometer for FG sample(s), and in the comfort of a (kitchen) counter.

I prefer using the clear plastic (acrylic) hydrometer jars with a large footing. Pretty much unbreakable and much more stable. They'll may develop crazing (thin, spiderweb cracks) over time, but remain just as useful for the job.

kettle lid with attachments on it had other plans for me. RIP. i have a Refractometer but i was taking notes and measurements to fine tune my equipment profile on BeerSmith. good news is everything is spot on now.

I'd use a refractometer for measuring any wort gravities before fermentation. Then a hydrometer for FG sample(s)
why would you use 2 different tools for measuring gravity? I would expect to use the same for both measurements, negating any possible calibration error of the devise. The actual gravity is less important than the measured difference between OG and FG.

why would you use 2 different tools for measuring gravity? I would expect to use the same for both measurements, negating any possible calibration error of the devise. The actual gravity is less important than the measured difference between OG and FG.

Because if one uses a refractometer after fermentation has begun, you have to run the numbers through an equation/chart to see where it is, as the measurement is skewed in the presence of alcohol. The hydrometer gives the SG reading regardless. A refractometer uses a smaller sample size. When I did measure, I liked the refractometer.

Basically what @Dr_Jeff said above, in #21.

It's also handy and quick to chill down a small quantity of hot wort taken with a (sample) pipette, bulb-side down in a beaker with cold water, for a refractometer reading.
Especially outside, a refractometer is a bit more steady and robust than a narrow cylinder standing on end somewhere on a small wobbly table on a patio or driveway.

ok, I'm just not following it....why not use the same instrument to do both measurements? like doing a before and after weight with two different scales is not as ideal as using the same scale for both measurements. You are just adding possible errors into the process. Pick one or the other and stick with it. Your data will be less corruptible.

So the refractometer has kind of a gee whiz/ bling factor and most don't really care of the taste of unfermented wort. And when one takes samples with a hydrometer, the volume is sufficient where one can taste and evaluate the beer in process, where as with a refractometer, one only needs several drops to get the measurement.

But like I've said before, I don't bother with either now.

If I've done things right, the gravity will be close enough to where it's supposed to be, and if I keep the fermentation temperature where it needs to be and provide enough yeast, it will finish where it should. I'm not selling it so it doesn't have to be a specific ABV.

Besides, people made beer for centuries with neither.

The best solution is, . . . . . don't use one.

you madman... this is how my last "pale ale" went from 5.5% to 7.5% IPA lol.

i can normally tell the Pre boil Gravity by licking the wort at mash out temps.

My dad likes his beer 6% and up. he said its a waste.

i have enjoyed smaller beers lately. I have a bad habit of drinking 2 beers a night. I have to take Meds right before bed. If i have anything mildly strong before bed i fall asleep sitting up in bed and wont wake up for anything.

But i would agree. its a better beer mashed a little to high on that batch and it was too thick

Back