brewing and bottling in the same container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizerjo

Reaction score
Morning!
So reading about one gallon brewing has gotten me thinking... would it be possible to ferment and bottle in the same container? Meaning once the wort is in a fermenter (in my brain it's gallon wine jug) it stays there until you drink it. You'd probably have to strain it VERY well to prevent tons of sediment, but couldn't you just add some sugar solution after it's finished fermenting, cap it, and let it carbonate in that same bottle?
Has anyone tried this? Unless someone tells me it's a complete waste of money, I'm planning on trying it this weekend...

Cheers!

Most gallon jugs are not made for the pressure that is built up from carbonating. You'd end up with at best a blown lid and foamy mess everywhere, at worst broken glass and a lost batch.
The good news is that with gallon brewing you don't need a ton of bottles, so you should be able to save enough from day-to-day drinking to be able to bottle your batch.

I agree with the previous poster.

If you were able to get something rated for the pressure (say a one gallon steel keg, for example) you probably could. The issue I see is there would be so much trub in the fermenter/keg that you would almost have to drink with a straw from the top to enjoy it without being loaded up with crap.

Also, I know autolysis is almost a myth at the homebrew level, but you may approach it if you leave it in a primary fermenter long term and pressurize. Someone call me an idiot if I am being one. :)

wizerjo said:
Morning!
So reading about one gallon brewing has gotten me thinking... would it be possible to ferment and bottle in the same container? Meaning once the wort is in a fermenter (in my brain it's gallon wine jug) it stays there until you drink it. You'd probably have to strain it VERY well to prevent tons of sediment, but couldn't you just add some sugar solution after it's finished fermenting, cap it, and let it carbonate in that same bottle?
Has anyone tried this? Unless someone tells me it's a complete waste of money, I'm planning on trying it this weekend...

Cheers!

So you need a fermenter that can also handle higher pressure than a growler. What about a 3 liter soda bottle? Not quite a gallon, but it would leave you with at least a half gallon of product.

My issue remains. It's one thing to pour out of a bottle (or anything else that ISN'T your primary) and leave a little yeast sediment behind. Try pouring out of a primary without disturbing the trub. I just don't understand how that can be accomplished.

If you don't mind drinking tons of yeast, proteins, hop gunk, break material, etc. then by all means go for it.

And to answer the initial question, yes you can. But it looks like most people wouldn't.

Thanks for the responses. I expected the issues with trub etc. Didn't even consider the container/carbonation issues.
I should have though: my mother-in-law tried making mead in a Rossi bottle, she didn't read the part about an airlock instead of a cap. Thankfully all she ended up with was a sticky, glass covered kitchen... could have been much worse... and that was just from the buildup during fermentation.

I think I've been convinced that it is more pain than it's worth...

Latest posts

Back