Brewing a Kolsh - Looks BLACK in the 2ndary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papp

Reaction score
Hey all.

I let my cologne kolsch from Midwest brewing supplies sit in the primary for 2 weeks, then the 2ndary for 5 days now, and as it has settled, it's gone from a wheat-y medium brown to an almost black looking thing?!?

What do you all think? Here's the link for what color it should be.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3325

Could it be infected? I did sanitize the 2ndary fermenter before using it, and the temperature has been around 50 degrees where it has been setting in my stairwell.

HELP!:drunk:

It always looks darker in a carboy. It's much harder for light to pass through the carboy. As an example, here is my latest batch in a carboy:
IMG_8572.JPG

and here is the hydro sample (much closer to what I'll see in the glass):
IMG_8578.JPG

What did it look like in the tube while you were racking it? That will give you a better idea of color. Beer always looks much darker in the carboy than in the glass.

"Medium brown" sounds too dark for a koelsch, though. I assume this is an extract batch? If so, you can expect it will be darker than you would like.

TL

Back