Brewing a Dunkelweizen this weekend: Step or Infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejearn

Reaction score
Greetings all! So I will be doing a Dunkelweizen recipe from Northern Brewer for my second all-grain brew. Here's the grain build:

5 lbs. Weyermann Dark Wheat malt
3.5 lbs. German Pilsner malt
1 lbs. German Dark Munich malt
0.5 lbs. Weyermann Caramunich 2
0.25 lbs. Belgian Special B

It seems to me that a dark wheat malt is plenty modified to justify an infusion mash; however, I am sure the German Pilsner malt would enjoy a nice protein rest... Does anyone have a strong opinion on the matter of step vs. infusion mash for this particular recipe?

Thanks everyone! :mug:

Greetings all! So I will be doing a Dunkelweizen recipe from Northern Brewer for my second all-grain brew. Here's the grain build:

5 lbs. Weyermann Dark Wheat malt
3.5 lbs. German Pilsner malt
1 lbs. German Dark Munich malt
0.5 lbs. Weyermann Caramunich 2
0.25 lbs. Belgian Special B

It seems to me that a dark wheat malt is plenty modified to justify an infusion mash; however, I am sure the German Pilsner malt would enjoy a nice protein rest... Does anyone have a strong opinion on the matter of step vs. infusion mash for this particular recipe?

Thanks everyone! :mug:

I brewed that kit with a simple single infusion mash and batch sparged. It came out pretty good!

I would do a simple single infusion, but I'm lazy. I'm sure either method will make great beer. I'd suggest you try it both ways and then compare them blind side by side to see what's the difference.

I did a single infusion mash on the Dunkelweizen i brewed a few weeks ago. got 74% efficiency with a 60 minute mash at 155. Hit my target gravities to within .001 and according to Beer Alchemy it ticks every box for the BJCP style guidlines

Does anyone have a strong opinion on the matter of step vs. infusion mash for this particular recipe?

I just brewed a munich dunkel last week and for the heck of it, I did a 3 step decoction mash at 130, 155, 168F. Since it's still in the primary I can't tell you it's any better than a single infusion, but it was alot of fun to do it the traditional german way. I would recommend you try it but be prepared for a longer brewday if you do. It added aprx. 1 hr to my standard brew length.

Back