Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think this could be due to flow restrictions of the 400mesh vs 600? I haven’t really seen much flow restrictions using the basket with 600 mesh....I also use a couple handfuls of rice hulls.
Honestly, I have no idea. I don't think there is a whole lot of difference in flow between the two mesh sizes. HarkinBanks had an experience where over-eager stirring caused air pockets which then caused scorching. I definitely did a lot of stirring on the brew where I had the burn in. Others seem to have no issues with the 400 micron basket and I had two successful brews with it as well, so I don't think it is the basket by itself. I will learn more with future experiments and I will definitely share. Btw, I did not use rice hulls with the basket.

On a side note, a had an epiphany that I may be optimizing for the wrong variables. The whole idea of the Brewie+, at least for me, was to increase automation in an attempt to minimize effort and time involvement while still making great beer. What I have been doing with the basket is to try to squeeze out a few extra percentage points of efficiency at the cost of now having to stir occasionally and introducing this burn in problem. I like the basket because it is easier to clean and I will give it a few more tries, but if it continues to be a source of issues, I won't use it anymore.

Did anyone watch the video from Brewie on increasing efficiency? That would be a great place to start if you haven't already. I was already rinsing my grains like it shows when I found it and since it pumps the mash tun several times that is a great way to up your efficiency.

Hmmm, my understanding is stirring is not necessary if you mash in below 140f to prevent doughballs. I would be curious what the hit would be to efficiency with no stirring. I gave my last batch a couple stirs at mash in and mash out. Maybe I’ll try no stir on my next brew and see how it goes. I don’t stir on my Zymatic and have never had dough balls....though efficiency is lower.

I'm considering a new brewing method. I'm sceptical of brewie and automated breweries in general. It's cool that after all this time, there are some success stories in here.

I'm wondering how much time is actually spent on a brewie brew day. Assuming no rewiring or parts replacement of course...

I'm wondering how much time is actually spent on a brewie brew day. Assuming no rewiring or parts replacement of course...

I'm brewing right now with a 90 min mash 30 min sparge.... total was right around 6 hours when I started.

Screenshot_20190308-003348.jpg

Now getting close to 5 hours with the mash half finished. And the sparge water is ready to go.

Screenshot_20190308-003821.jpg

With an expected efficiency of 85%

Screenshot_20190308-003955.jpg

I mean actively brewing. I was under four hours with my old system.

You must still feel a bit tethered to your brewie...

There aren't really ads on the app are there?

Last edited:
Took me all of 15 - 20 minutes or so actually at the Brewie. Set up machine, hook up to water, run a quick clean while i fill hop cages. Start brew put in hop cages, grind grains while water is heating, fill Brewie bag with fresh ground grains. Go back and stir once on a while. I just finished pouring extra water through grains..... it is heating up to boil. I'm having another Irish Red.

I could actually leave right now and come home to cold ready to pitch wort, the only thing I would have to do is push a button to pump it to the fermenter.

But I'm having a cold one and enjoying the process

I mean actively brewing. I was under four hours with my old system.

You must still feel a bit tethered to your brewie...

There aren't really ads on the app are there?

My hands-on time is about one hour but I am not using the Brewie for chilling. This includes:
- milling the grains, loading up the Brewie and pressing the Brew button (10 mins)
- moving chilling water, sanitizing and setting up my chilling system (20 mins)
- draining and chilling the wort (10 mins)
- cleanup (Brewie and chilling system) (20 mins)

During the last brew I only checked on the Brewie remotely via the app and poked the grain bag twice. When the thing works, it is truly amazing.

, my brew/beer/mash started to flow out of the water waste hose, mixed with water?!?

I had the same thing again and since I just had mine apart I know nothing out of place with the hoses...

But I did pause the machine and start it again and it quit leaking wort. At any flow rate. I did not turn on my water full blast to begin with and it only happened when I change the flow of water to the machine. It also was not a lot, just barely enough to change the color of the water

For my last brew (a free Brewie pad) my grain was pre-milled and the hops were in separate pouches. I have my dump hoses hard wired to my sump so don't have to be around for chilling:

-5 mins pouring the grain into my basket that was already in the MLT and putting the hops in the hop cages
-5 mins stirring the mash
-5 mins transfer into my fermenter
-10-15 mins clean in place

I monitored things on the app and (as I mentioned in another post) did so many other things I forgot I was brewing a couple times.

I need to get my times down this low.... not that i can really cut more time without running some plumbing and buying pre milled kits.
I did use the hot water from the cooling cycle to run a load of laundry this time. Just ran the waste water into a bucket .... emptied 3 times and ran what was left down the drain which wasn't much. Slowed the cooling process down a bit and if it was summer I would have used it in the garden after it was cooled off. I normally just have it running into a sink. I just wanted to find out how much water I was using. I may just have to find me a small barrel.

65-70% depending on the grain bill.

Have you gotten one that was way over on efficiency from what you were expecting?
Mine last night came out 9 point over. I was trying to make another under 5% light beer beer for my brother and must have done something wrong on it again. Last time I made the light it was the one where I forgot to change the mash timing and had it set for wheat in the beer. This time i fixed that and came out too high. The Brewie had it coming out at 85% efficiency. Looks like I need to do more reading on brewing w corn and light beers instead of just following someone else's mash schedule...
Here is recipe
3 Squared
5 gallon
2 lbs 2 row
2 lbs Munich
2 lbs flaked corn
Mash in 155° temp drop to 148° wanted 147° (temp drop w/ quick clean right before using hot water 120°)
Mash 147° 90 min
Mash out 171°
Sparge 169° 30 min
Boil 60 min
Cool to 68°
OG 1.050 expected 1.041
Pitch US-05 7 days 68°
Secondary 1 tsp amylase 14 days or 1.00 FG 68° or
Cold crash 2 days
Gelatin 3 days
Keg 12 lbs 33°

I had one brew that came out really high (like 90% calc eff) and I had to dilute with bottled water. I suspect my machine needed to be calibrated again and was under on final volume. I calibrated and the next brew was spot on.

I think I figured out what happened..... one day I will pull the head out of...
I was about a quart and a half short of the 5 gallon in the fermenter. I added hot water and forgot to take temperature or compensate, I also forgot to compensate for the temp in the hop cages during my cool down. I also added 41 oz of Munich instead of 32. So basically it was all human error. Between the two should get it a lot closer..... not exact but close enough for me.

Another super smooth brew day today. I brewed with the basket and had no scorching issues. I only stirred during mash-in and twice during sparging. Efficiency was 74% with 11.75 lbs of malt. I think HarkinBanks' hypothesis that my excessive stirring caused the scorching is, while counter-intuitive to me, correct. This was a single infusion, I will have to repeat this with a step mash but I think it will be fine.

Another super smooth brew day today. I brewed with the basket and had no scorching issues. I only stirred during mash-in and twice during sparging. Efficiency was 74% with 11.75 lbs of malt. I think HarkinBanks' hypothesis that my excessive stirring caused the scorching is, while counter-intuitive to me, correct. This was a single infusion, I will have to repeat this with a step mash but I think it will be fine.

That is cool, what did you make?
It may seem like constant stirring would be the right thing to do but you have to remember the machine is moving the wort around and through the grains for you. So stirring, while still needed, is not nearly as critical as if you were using a system with no water movement like a cooler. I would also be hesitant to do a heavier grain bill and just let the machine ride on its own without stirring. Now the light beer I did the other day I would have no problem putting my grains in and walking away until it was completed with no stirring. I think it would turn out great.

I wish they would update the app and bring back the "Fermentation" tab. Made it much easier to tweek the recipes without waiting until you have a finished product.

Hey all.
Just wanted to post on Brewie...
I had an issue with my internal flash card (see posys from a while ago). B20 original.
Anyways, i just emailed Mate for a replacement SD card, he had it out to me in like a few days. So Brewie is still operating and responsive.

Just curious .... what dishwasher tabs are you using in your machine? I need to go get some (the ones that came w/ the Brewie came as a pile of mush) but I don't want any odor or residue left behind. I haven't used my dishwasher in years. With only the wife and I left in the house it would take a week to fill it. I'm mostly concerned about what is left behind because I have seen how much liquid is left after a clean or a brew.

Hey all.
Just wanted to post on Brewie...
I had an issue with my internal flash card (see posys from a while ago). B20 original.
Anyways, i just emailed Mate for a replacement SD card, he had it out to me in like a few days. So Brewie is still operating and responsive.

I've had nothing but a great response from them since I got my B+ except when they were moving offices they were a little slow. They have resolved any issues I have had and now my machine is working great.... actually getting higher efficiencies than I was expecting from the Brewie better than what was expected from the other automated machine I was going to buy.
Has anyone heard if/when they are going to bring back the fermentation tab?

For the PicoBrew Zymatic/Z they recommend the use of Finish PowerBall tablets. I would imagine those would work similarly well in the Brewie.

That’s what I used for my first deep clean as I had them from using with my Zymatic. They don’t have the dissolvable plastic coating like many of the dishwasher tabs do now. You can also use PBW if you like which I’ll probably use every 3rd deep clean or so.

That’s what I used for my first deep clean as I had them from using with my Zymatic. They don’t have the dissolvable plastic coating like many of the dishwasher tabs do now. You can also use PBW if you like which I’ll probably use every 3rd deep clean or so.

How did you rinse out your machine after the cleaning cycle, or did you? I was thinking I should run 2 short cleans like I do after every brew.
For anyone that doesn't know.... short clean leaves something to be desired. But while running the short clean during the drain of the hop tanks I pour 3 quarts of hot water into them twice to flush out all the bits and wort left behind and scrub them. Pause the process if you have to. So far it has worked pretty good leaving nothing behind but clear water as I have seen when turning my machine over to install replacement parts. Hopefully I'm finished doing any more of that though.

Just curious .... what dishwasher tabs are you using in your machine? I need to go get some (the ones that came w/ the Brewie came as a pile of mush) but I don't want any odor or residue left behind. I haven't used my dishwasher in years. With only the wife and I left in the house it would take a week to fill it. I'm mostly concerned about what is left behind because I have seen how much liquid is left after a clean or a brew.
Or don't :)

I always bypass the "add dishwasher tablets" step and wait for the water to heat up. And I use powder that has no shining agent in it. Add the powder to a glass of hot water and wait a few minutes for it to dissolve - stirring now and then - and add it to the boil tank.

Wow... I just did some reading up on PBW, I'm not sure I would use that in this machine. Not safe for human consumption, triple rinse, and still have to sanitize after. At $14 for roughly 8-16 incomplete cleanings I can't justify the cost or the risk. The "Full Clean" with their dishwasher packs got the insides (tubing etc) spotless. I think I will stick with that. I have some no rinse cleaner that I would feel safer about using than that stuff. The no rinse cleaner is the only thing I used to clean and sanitize my stuff for the first 10 years of brewing. I got a whole case of the stuff as a gift when I first started brewing so it lasted a while. Only problem I ever had with the no rinse cleaner was that it will leave a film if you leave it sit too long hence my hesitation about using it in the first place on the Brewie.

Or don't :)

I always bypass the "add dishwasher tablets" step and wait for the water to heat up. And I use powder that has no shining agent in it. Add the powder to a glass of hot water and wait a few minutes for it to dissolve - stirring now and then - and add it to the boil tank.
What brand are you using? I don't care if it is store brand. I just want to use the best working, safest stuff. With my memory issues I don't want to run the risk of of giving someone a bad case of the $#!+$ or worse....

According to the mfg (Five Star Chemicals), its safe for cleaning food processing areas and is a staple for brewery cleaning (at least in homebrewing). It was a big deal (for some) not to be able to use it in the Zymatic because it would causing premature cracking of the plastic step filter. There is a tread on here a mile long with people trying replicate the PBW recipe....it works very well. I have used small amounts, (couple tablespoons) one in the first 2 hop cages. I always do an extra rinse regardless of the cleaner I'm using. I usually run a extra short clean or simply take my hose connected to my faucet and rinse the tanks and hop cages as I'm running the full drain. I also use PBW in my other system with great success....I am not aware of a better cleaner for home brewing.....the main issue is it is very expensive. They say to rinse and sanitize afterwards because PBW is not a sanitizer.....they (Five Star Chemicals) also make probably the most widely used homebrew sanitizer (StarSan).

That said, if you would feel better using dishwasher detergent it seems like it will clean the Brewie just fine. For the Zymatic this was a potential issue because it had a heat loop that was tougher to clean and if not cleaned well could lead to clogs and pump issues. I just cleaned mine more frequently than what was recommended to keep mine running well.

According to the mfg (Five Star Chemicals), its safe for cleaning food processing areas and is a staple for brewery cleaning (at least in homebrewing). It was a big deal (for some) not to be able to use it in the Zymatic because it would causing premature cracking of the plastic step filter. There is a tread on here a mile long with people trying replicate the PBW recipe....it works very well. I have used small amounts, (couple tablespoons) one in the first 2 hop cages. I always do an extra rinse regardless of the cleaner I'm using. I usually run a extra short clean or simply take my hose connected to my faucet and rinse the tanks and hop cages as I'm running the full drain. I also use PBW in my other system with great success....I am not aware of a better cleaner for home brewing.....the main issue is it is very expensive. They say to rinse and sanitize afterwards because PBW is not a sanitizer.....they (Five Star Chemicals) also make probably the most widely used homebrew sanitizer (StarSan).

That said, if you would feel better using dishwasher detergent it seems like it will clean the Brewie just fine. For the Zymatic this was a potential issue because it had a heat loop that was tougher to clean and if not cleaned well could lead to clogs and pump issues. I just cleaned mine more frequently than what was recommended to keep mine running well.
Yeah +1 to this.
I tried all sorts of "natural" dishwasher cleaners but all left residue.

Hoestly a dusting of PBW, a full clean, some elboe grease with a bottle brush, then a short clean repeat and that's it.
Pretty easy (especially with a beer!)

I did finally start using star San a couple of years ago when I started getting low on the no rinse cleaner seems fine. Still never had an infection.

What brand are you using? I don't care if it is store brand. I just want to use the best working, safest stuff. With my memory issues I don't want to run the risk of of giving someone a bad case of the $#!+$ or worse....
Actually whatever cheap brand I come across - they usually have all the good stuff (for cleaning) but none of the fancy (perfume, shining agent etc.).

Once in a while I do a deep clean with sodium hydroxide and use developer mode to execute a more custom cleaning program. It's crazy strong stuff but will leave your Brewie much cleaner ;)

Damn.... how often are you brewing? I'm only brewing about 1 time every every 2 weeks or so. I do need to get in gear though, I need to get my kegs filled back up before it gets nice outside and I don't have much time for brewing. We are replacing windows and painting this year and with 36 windows on the house it is going to keep me busy for some time.
I guess it is a good thing I got the Brewie.... set it up and work on something else for a few hours.

..and on the topic doing something else for some hours..:). Only way for me to get over 70% in efficiency on an 6%ABV IPA on full volume was to stir the wort. Since I bought the Brewie+ to be able to turn on and walk away I developed the below solution. The Stirio is probably out of stock (used it in another brewing experiment I build and its strong enough and moves really slow) but there is similar device on amazon called "Saki". Since the Stirio is on battery I re-wired it to socket and connected it to a time relay so that I can control it. Normaly set it so that it starts at the first mash (after heating) and stopping at least 30 min before the end of sparging. Give me constantly over 70% with ability to put on and leave....works for me...:)
Stirio on top.jpg
Stirio.jpg

Attachments

• Spirio on top open lid.jpg
    Spirio on top open lid.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Is anybody out there building a recipe data base that includes a compatible schedule that utilizes Brewie's multiple settings options, mash schedule etc most recipes don't go into things like recalculation times etc, I have 30 years of brewing experience but zero time as an all grain brewer...

70% in efficiency on an 6%ABV IPA on full volume was to stir the wort. ...works for me...:)

Are you adjusting your water for the change in mash PH caused by full volume mashing?
Are you using rice hulls?
Are you just skipping the sparge then?

Most important question............
Are you getting the number that the machine says you will?

I'm just asking because I just entered a recipe yesterday that is expected to get a 70% 6% and it has both wheat 32oz and oats 24oz plus my 2 row and specialty malts.... At least from what I can remember.

Anyway.... what works for you as long as you like the beer.

Latest posts

Back