Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. At just over an ounce each cage, for true hop heavy reciepies you run out of space. I have used bags for the whirlpool but clean up is longer.

Do you put bags inside each cage as well? I've been doing that and cleanup is a breeze.

Second grain basket in from Arborfab. Size is perfect. Can’t wait to use it, if my darn Brewie would ever reach 212F.

Pics:

IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG

I'd like one as well. I wonder if there is an easy way for us to coordinate so we're not all doing them as one offs.
Response from Chad to my question where and when this will be available:
“I have them on my website. its under new products, If you use the search bar for "Brewie" it'll come up, the will come standard as 400 micron.”

Is 400 micron the right mesh size? Any info on this is appreciated!

Last edited:
Response from Chad to my question where and when this will be available:
“I have them on my website. its under new products, If you use the search bar for "Brewie" it'll come up, the will come standard as 400 micron.”

Is 400 micron the right mesh size? Any info on this is appreciated!

If you want to geek out on mesh sizes, check out this link:

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/blog/stainless-steel-micron-rating-examples/

400 micron works and I have tested it....however, I think 600 micron will work better for this system. With a really fine crush, there is a chance the bottom of the basket will become caked up and that is why I think 600 will work better. There are a few older threads on here testing 400 vs 600 and open sides vs closed sides. Open sides with 600 micron seemed to work better, so that is what I designed. Chad uses 400 for the Pico so I am sure he has a lot of that in stock and that is why he defaulted to 400 on his website.

Last edited:
Anyone know what these things weigh? Just trying to calculate the scrap value... for a friend.
Can't be much value in scrap. Looking at the pictures the consumers that have performed warranty repairs at there in home brewie repair centres posted shows just the outer shell in stainless. It is convenient that when the machine breaks rather than send it in for repairs they send you a list of diagnostic equipment to buy and instructions how to diagnose the machine. Then send you the parts and you install them yourself. Kinda like diy your own system just at a much higher price [emoji23]

Also, a little stainless steel cleaner (like $4 from any store), jusy a little elbow grease, and this thing DOES polish up to a beautiful shine!

Hey HBTers. When there is disagreement about a product, it tends to raise the temperature around here and gets folks argumentative. Last night, another moderator had to delete posts here and again today. Please don't be argumentative. Other folks are allowed to have their opinions.

Hey HBTers. When there is disagreement about a product, it tends to raise the temperature around here and gets folks argumentative. Last night, another moderator had to delete posts here and again today. Please don't be argumentative. Other folks are allowed to have their opinions.
You say other folks are allowed to have there opinions but if someone's opinion of said product is negative there post is deleted? The reality is people are trying to ensure that this fiasco is NEVER forgotten and brewie can't screw anymore people over (at least not without fair warning). If we only let the 2-3 happy users here post about this product new people searching may not realize the machines complete trash (for the majority). Don't take it so personal if you have the machine. Lots of people don't like it. Other folks are allowed there opinion too.cheers

You say other folks are allowed to have there opinions but if someone's opinion of said product is negative there post is deleted? The reality is people are trying to ensure that this fiasco is NEVER forgotten and brewie can't screw anymore people over (at least not without fair warning). If we only let the 2-3 happy users here post about this product new people searching may not realize the machines complete trash (for the majority). Don't take it so personal if you have the machine. Lots of people don't like it. Other folks are allowed there opinion too.cheers

Good lord, there's been plenty of negative posts and reviews of this. To say that we're only allowing positive reviews is ridiculous. I'm leaving your post here, but generally, we don't allow responses to moderating decisions.

I was an early supporter and I admin on another site related to Brewie. (Yeah, I know. You'd think that would keep me from being a pain in the ass here.) So I want to share my POV on the product.

First, personally i currently have 2 Brewies (the original and the +) that work great. I've been really lucky as I've only had one issue- a clog that may have been my fault and was quickly resolved by support. That isn't to say I haven't had frustrations, mostly the long delays for the initial delivery and ongoing delays with the app. My biggest concern has always been the long term stability of the product- i.e. could I keep it running after warranty support ends. While the fried wire ends and temp switch issues are disappointing I actually find it reassuring that the problems are simple and cheap to fix and the community is learning a lot of the machine.

From the admin role I know many have had it a lot worse than me and I'm sympathetic to that (which is why I think other here to laugh at others issues should move on.) I also know that we hear more about the problems than the successes and there are hundreds of people brewing successfully. The closest I know of any real data on this is polls that have been done on both the experiences with the machine and with support. The results have consistently been surprisingly positive. With support having improved a lot over the past 3 months, I'm looking forward to better things for Brewie. Fingers crossed they don't let me down.

Last edited:

I think anyone buying a Brewie should go in eyes wide open. There is a lot of history to be aware of, but I don't think your portraying the product accurately or that deleted posts were productive (including mine). If the view from this thread is that there are only 2-3 happy users and that the product is complete trash for the majority, that may be because this thread isn't a place happy users want to participate. I chose to argue. Others may simply choose to leave silently.

All i have to say is....
Why is it on thus forum when there is an argument we see reposnes back and forth in minutes.

When it's a question about brewing, it can take days?!?!?

Lol. Merry Christmas all!

I think anyone buying a Brewie should go in eyes wide open. There is a lot of history to be aware of, but I don't think your portraying the product accurately or that deleted posts were productive (including mine). If the view from this thread is that there are only 2-3 happy users and that the product is complete trash for the majority, that may be because this thread isn't a place happy users want to participate. I chose to argue. Others may simply choose to leave silently.
I agree with you. It's unfortunate for brewie that there's only 2-3 happy users posting on hbt. Do you have a link to the other forums were all the positive reviews are? Maybe with actual brew days pics or videos. it seems that people in the actual brewery community would benefit from helping change the tides to more positive. could you make a post on those sites and maybe ask those people to come over here and share their stores .Don't forget the brewie users Facebook site was being moderated to avoid negative posts as per the admins admission. It's hard to not think there may be misleading post around the machine. Cheers

I agree with you. It's unfortunate for brewie that there's only 2-3 happy users posting on hbt. Do you have a link to the other forums were all the positive reviews are? Maybe with actual brew days pics or videos. it seems that people in the actual brewery community would benefit from helping change the tides to more positive. could you make a post on those sites and maybe ask those people to come over here and share their stores .Don't forget the brewie users Facebook site was being moderated to avoid negative posts as per the admins admission. It's hard to not think there may be misleading post around the machine. Cheers

I tell you what, you show me where "brewie users Facebook site was being moderated to avoid negative posts as per the admins admission" and I'll show you brew day pics and videos.

See middle of page 27 on this thread

Good lord. Ulf says "We do not want it to be used as a personal support-channel for unhappy customers." When questioned about it he clarifies that it isn't the place for people to report matters to Brewie. You want to know why? People were literally making posts on the page and tagging Brewie and then considering that to be a service ticket.

He goes on to say that almost nothing is deleted, Brewie isn't involved in the moderating decisions and there are more complaints than praises. If you guys hate the machine, fine, but have some class and don't twist someone else's words.

Ok, enough. I'm closing this thread for a day or two at least. Do not start another thread on this topic - anyone who does will be taking a vacation from HBT. Check back after Christmas.

Back and forth conversation like this is exactly what isn't allowed. We get it. One of you likes it, one of you doesn't. Now just push away from the keyboard.

Thread re-opened. This is in part a product review thread, which means there will be a variety of experiences and opinions. Let other folks post their experiences and opinions - you don't need to respond to correct their 'errors'.

It seems like a lot of good info has been shared here for those who own this system. Please keep the conversation on that level.

@HarkinBanks : Did you re-calibrate your Brewie+ before using the new grain basket? I would think it tares itself before filling the tanks but just want to make sure. Thanks!

@HarkinBanks : Did you re-calibrate your Brewie+ before using the new grain basket? I would think it tares itself before filling the tanks but just want to make sure. Thanks!
Good point. I was thinking about that too. What about during the sparge stage? The machine says do not touch/ weight sensors in use. If you calibrate with basket in will it adjust?

Also- i thought b+ models used other sensors than the b20?

You don't need to re-calibrate to use the basket. I asked Mate the same question and he said no. The sensing occurs on the boil tank side. Then it pumps into the mash tun, so it doesn't matter what is in the mash tun side.

Unrelated, I have found it is good practice to re-calibrate every 3 or 4 brews. Especially so if you have been opening up the machine to fix things and flipping the machine over.

-edit-this is for the B+, that uses pressure sensors for water measurement

for the B20, I understand it uses weight sensors in the feet, so I don't know the answer for the basket. Maybe someone will chime in, or we can email Mate

Last edited:
It is very unlikely to be the SSR, those device are quite robust and since triggered, theire internal resistance are very low, there is no in between. The brewie controller modulate the power (PWM) to the SSR like a top of the line PID would do but when the target is to boil, there is no raison why the trottling came from there too. Your problem is, like you said, comming from the thermal switchs or/and the connections that get too hot (connection get hot ther bring heat inside the thermal switch). As I said earlier, the ventilation of the area around the connections is the only way to realy make the thing work. I stop the water heating during my test without venting with the thermocouple when the water was at something like 65 celcius, cause the therminal were already at max temparature. Since the terminal raise in temperature, it lose grip on the connection and contact resistance raise, with 4 crimped connection, so 8 jonctions, it can surely lower the power to the element.

I should recieve as a gift ;-) a water heater for vaccum cooking (kind of rod with an impeller and a heater), 1200W, and i'm planning to use it to help the brewie to heat and boil water, as well as vaccum cooking ;-)

Iron-Mate tells me they are using a 120C thermal switch. I think this may be too low, what do you think?

Robobrew and the mash and boil had similar issues and settled on a 175C switch.

https://www.kegland.com.au/replacement-175c-thermal-cut-out-switch-for-robobrew.html

I’m waiting to hear back from Brewie. In the meantime I’m going to wire in another fan like you did.

That's the main reason that I'm selling my Speidel, the clean out is a nightmare and i always feel that it isn't clean enough, though looking at the inner tubes of the Brewie i'm sure its going to be a open it up after 6 brews and clean out the hoses. so padair519 your thinking about using a mesh box like a filter bed same as the Speidle this uses two circular mesh plates top and bottom. wouldn't you need another re-cuirciulation pump? I haven't even brewed on the system and I want to take it apart and improve the design. Have to say I like the mesh basket and being able to give the occasional stir is where I would like to be.
Not sure you would need another re-circ pump? where the water into the mashing side is pretty high. Just make the basket a few mm's below that so the water coming into mash side will be in the basket (with solid sides) and then forced to drain out bottom like a GF etc. I may not of fully thought all of this thru, just seeing if there is a way to raise efficiency easily??

Forgot to ask how long have you had yours and how many brews have you managed?
I received my B+ in Sept. Brewed a few times, then boil side failed. Replaced heater/wires sent from support and I got thru 2 more brews... not sure the 2nd one actually ever boiled though... and my Brewie+ is down again. I report it to Brewie on Dec 12th and have yet to receive a reply from support. Marcel replied to me on another topic of shipping flub of a brewie pad, and when I asked him he said Mate was busy moving for next couple days, still haven't heard anything. :(

Anyone with a b+, that has done the new wire/heating element boil side replacement have their system working? Mine has failed a second time. The replacement wires looked thinner than the originals and the general discussion seems to be about those white wires. Not sure what I'm supposed to do. Support has been 'dark' since Dec 12 when I told them about mine failing a second time.

@Ironcyberia - any thoughts of offering what you've done (the cooling fans?) as a service to B+ owners? I handled the simple wire/heater swap but i'm not electrician or expert with wires. Adding new wires and fans is not up my alley but if that's what it takes to make this thing go and the company is not responding any more I'd consider it, otherwise this thing is a $2000 paper weight. :(

Not sure you would need another re-circ pump? where the water into the mashing side is pretty high. Just make the basket a few mm's below that so the water coming into mash side will be in the basket (with solid sides) and then forced to drain out bottom like a GF etc. I may not of fully thought all of this thru, just seeing if there is a way to raise efficiency easily??

I wouldn’t design solid sides for a basket. I’m pretty sure it would overflow based on what I have seen.

Other threads have shown solid side malt pipes can clog. I’ve seen this with the robobrew malt pipe also.

Anyone with a b+, that has done the new wire/heating element boil side replacement have their system working? Mine has failed a second time. The replacement wires looked thinner than the originals and the general discussion seems to be about those white wires. Not sure what I'm supposed to do. Support has been 'dark' since Dec 12 when I told them about mine failing a second time.

@Ironcyberia - any thoughts of offering what you've done (the cooling fans?) as a service to B+ owners? I handled the simple wire/heater swap but i'm not electrician or expert with wires. Adding new wires and fans is not up my alley but if that's what it takes to make this thing go and the company is not responding any more I'd consider it, otherwise this thing is a $2000 paper weight. :(

I have been emailing Mate, Marcel and Brewie Support at the same time, every day now. Eventually Mate responds. The last email he offered to send me new wires, element and thermal switch. I asked him to send them to me immediately, for both the boil and mash tun sides. In the meantime I have ordered the muffin fan Iron used from Digikey and I will wire it in like he did and see what happens. Always the overkill, I also ordered a Hot Rod Heatstick from Bobby and a variable speed fan controller from Amazon to throttle it. I figure I can use the Hot Rod with my Brewie and my Robobrew if I want.

@Paidair, what caused the second failure? Have you opened up the machine again to check? Also, the fan supplement that Iron is using is about a $10 fix; I thought it was a cheap chance to fix the issue permanently.

Iron-Mate tells me they are using a 120C thermal switch. I think this may be too low, what do you think?

Robobrew and the mash and boil had similar issues and settled on a 175C switch.

https://www.kegland.com.au/replacement-175c-thermal-cut-out-switch-for-robobrew.html

I’m waiting to hear back from Brewie. In the meantime I’m going to wire in another fan like you did.

120C might be little low, but, it's not a bad choice. in fact the water in the tank should never reach over 100C, the therrmal switch will cut the juice to the element if there is no water in the tank if the stainless reach temperature more than 120. in our case, the problem is the temperature around the switch and more inportant the temperature if the wires itself, heat is transfered to the switch bi-metal elements by the wire and the terminals. with the fan mod I mesured temp of 80c at the worst terminal (the one direct on the element) so there is no more switch issue.

I understand that isn't everybody that is willing to do this hack, but, as I said in a previous post, this is the only practical and long lasting solution I see in my industrial engienering mind. Connections should never reach such temperature I mesured in my first graph without the fans (and I stopped well before bowilling). As many of you might know, boiling water is not as easy as it appear, the phase change between water and vapor require a LOT of energy so my guess is that temperature in the element area without fan reach temperature above 200c, whitch is destructive situation for terminals and wires, changing the thermal switch is a patch I don't recommand.

I will try to work on a simpler solution, as I said earlier, a blower fan with 2 silicone tubing that can be installed easy without special drilling or cutting, but I'm in a kind of a rush situation right now at the job with many problems like this one to solve all round the world ;-) .

@HarkinBanks , let me know how was the installation of your fan. personnaly I would not slow the fan down, I installed a small DC-DC on mine at first but I removed it since I din't hear the fan at all when machine bottom plate is on. And don't forget to disconnect your Brewie after use, the 12V power supply is always on. Anyway I recommand every of you to disconnect the power to their machine after use.

Well my thermal switch must be bad. I wired up the muffin fan and still can’t get past 194F. The element cycles from full power to no power at all.

So I wait for Mate to send new parts.

Well my thermal switch must be bad. I wired up the muffin fan and still can’t get past 194F. The element cycles from full power to no power at all.

So I wait for Mate to send new parts.

Looks like there is also a Thermal switch in the element itself. If I was in your situation, I would bypass the tank thermal switch and see if it's this one the cause of the problem, if not it's the switch in the element itself, whitch can be bypassed too (only for diagnostic)

Back