Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My unit was the first unit sent back to Memphis, TN and their new repair shop. They tried to replace a "blown fuse" and the damage was more substantial than they expected, so I was told. I kept pestering them and they finally decided to send me a new unit. Then they didn't have any more units, and I pestered them more, and then they got more units in and sent me one. So, as I mentioned, keep on them. I resorted to emails every morning, it just became a routine of mine. Wake up, send an email. Here is the list:

[email protected] - Customer Service in Hungary

[email protected] - GM - North America in USA

[email protected] - CEO in Hungary

Thank you @HarkinBanks !! I am waiting to hear back what they say about the videos they requested first. Once they determine what they want to do, I will pester. I'm almost ready to ship it back and request a refund.

I can still build a hell of a 120v system for $2000. I just thought it was great to be built for us.

I've gotten my machine recall return email this morning. I'm shipping the unit back, so I've decided to fight for a full refund over receiving a machine back.

I've gotten my machine recall return email this morning. I'm shipping the unit back, so I've decided to fight for a full refund over receiving a machine back.

That will be interesting to see the result. My guess is they will honor the warranty and fix the unit or send a new one. Not refund any money.

I'm really curious to see what the new machine looks like. I will be more than a bit angry if its just a rehashed B20 with the fixes that should have been implemented in the original system. I have a feeling it will be a smaller system - something to compete more directly with the Picobrew, especially with their release of the Z series today. They certainly have used the same style countdown and lack of any real information to try and build some hype. I suppose for most of us existing owners its just building up the indignation though.

Looks like the new PicoZ still has no chiller but you can daisy-chain 4 machines to get a 10 gallon batch. I'm disappointed was hoping for more than a warmed over Zymatic.

I purchased this in 2015 as an original backer on Indiegogo. I got my unit in October 2017. It never passed any tests. I sent my B20 back for repair at ? a month ago. I purchased the Pico Z unit. What a goat screw... If I ever get it back, I'll ditch it. If they have an upgrade option, I might consider, but prolly a no-go. I would bet the PicoBrew Z works out of the box. Vessi still waiting for it's first ferment.

Wow, so glad I found this forum. I don't quite understand all the hate here to be honest. I ordered my Brewie in November, and they delivered without any problem, though the UPS guys banged up my machine a bit, which I'm pissed off about, but that's not Brewie's fault. Anyhow, I haven't gotten around to Brewing yet, as I was away on holiday, but I'm really looking forward to it.
Any tips and suggestions are welcome if you have any!

Tim, seriously, are you real? We have this entire (mostly overwhelmingly unappreciative) thread about this product and you state you just dropped $2k on one. Really? I’m havin a hard time with this one.

There have been 4 positive posts in the past 8 days, all from brand new members. Not saying I don't like new people but it seems rather fishy to me. Maybe Brewie is creating accounts to save their name?

I got an update that Brewie repair facility has my machine now. Sure hope they put those "new" pumps and heating elements in the B20. After a 2 year wait, and after selling my 3-tier 1/2bbl brewery, I would love for this thing to eventually work. As I stated, though, I have a Zymatic-Z 5ga unit on order.

I'm not sure about all the hate. I sold a large home brewery to a brew pub. I had once thought to open a real brewery, so I had a large scale home version. I decided that I can't do this second job, so I sold my equipment. I still love the process, creativity, science and ... beer. I've got the money to buy several Brewies or other options. Some people invested all they had allocated for this hobby and are understandably disappointed. Disappointment doesn't do well for a business model - people vent their frustration. I haven't vented any frustration, but I am very clear on what the facts are. 2 year wait, non-functional unit, no end in sight.

For Ben - having been brewing for many years, the first thing I would suggest you invest in is some type of software or web based site to help with recipes. I personally use BrewSmith, have tried all others, and there are 3 or 4 options that are good. The next thing I would do is buy a couple of books and read through. I have a library, but I would start with "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" or "The Homebrewer's Companion" by Charlie Papazian. It will go through every step in brewing, and you will get a better understanding of the steps that the Brewie machine automates (and how you might tweak them).

As far as their Brew Pads... these are just the grains and yeast you can obtain much cheaper at a Local Homebrew Supply or by ordering online in a little larger quantity. It's convenient to have everything in a box, sure. As you gain experience, and if you like the process... you will probably buy grains, hops and yeast elsewhere. Example - I like ensuring the grain is fresh, milling it right before brewing, and I like liquid yeast that I've made an appropriate starter quantity of yeast cells in a starter. Buying a Pad or Pack or something pre-packaged doesn't ensure or allow this. There is literally too much information to overload you with.

1) get software to track and help recipes
2) get a book and start reading

3) go ahead for a Brew Pad or two and enjoy brewing!!! (if your machine works).

Follow the instructions, and Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize. The most important step in the whole process, IMHO, is a sanitary vessel and ideal fermentation temperatures. We make sugar water when we "brew". Yeast cultures create beer. Good sometimes, less good sometimes depending on how ideal we make their working conditions. You have to keep that fermenting wort in a sanitary environment, give the yeast some oxygen, some nutrients, and keep them at the exact temperature they thrive. Then you will get good beer out of all that work you put in making sugar water (brewing).

Last edited:
There have been 4 positive posts in the past 8 days, all from brand new members. Not saying I don't like new people but it seems rather fishy to me. Maybe Brewie is creating accounts to save their name?
Yep, someone was mounting a spam campaign, and it has been dealt with.

doug293cz

As I suspected......just landed in my inbox:

"Dear _________________,

As you are already fully aware, our new home brewing device, the Brewie+ will be available for preorder on March 1st.

You, as part of the Brewie community might also want to take part in the improved brewing experience the Brewie+ offers, and to respect it, we'd like to offer you the option to level up your current Brewie B20 for a brand new Brewie+ arriving right from the production line!

In case you wish to trade in your Old Faithful for an upgraded Brewie+, we'd like to present you with an individual offer, customized by the time spent you've received the B20, your brewing habits and any issue you might've encountered during the use of our first generation brewing device.

To receive an individual offer for leveling up your Brewie, please, contact [email protected] click on the following link!"

Time to recall the faulty units. I emailed my friend Balint to find out what's up.

What does “Level up” translate into $? Obviously per the email, “it depends”. Still, curious what they have in mind.

Very curious as well. My guess is the upgrade cost will be somewhat correlated to how much they have screwed you over the last few years. I noticed morebeer dropped the price of the unit to $1900. That isn’t much more than what I paid several years ago. I would have gladly saved my frustration for a few hundred bucks.

I feel like even asking for another dollar is adding insult to injury. They are basically holding customers hostage if they do: if you want a working machine, (and who doesn’t), then you need to pay more. Sounds like a classic bait and switch.

In fairness, this is conjecture... we shouldn’t draw conclusions until they produce the actual offers.

In case you wish to trade in your Old Faithful for an upgraded Brewie+, we'd like to present you with an individual offer, customized by the time spent you've received the B20, your brewing habits and any issue you might've encountered during the use of our first generation brewing device.

Do they expect us to describe how painful and frustrating their screwed-up machine has been personally in order to obtain a better offer? This sounds very fishy.

At the moment the description of the new version is the same as the old one should have been:

app controlled? It was supposed to be app controlled from the start, they just got lost in the way of getting there...

New pumps? Didn't they say they've tested about 250 pumps as one of the reasons of being 2 years late with Brewie production?

These "upgrades" are just the acknowledgement that their original machine was not ready to be sold to the backers.

Frankly they've been screwing it so much that unless they put an enormous effort with their original backers they can hope no love from them.

Why the heck does a beer machine need 16GB of memory?

Doubled memory
Be the recipe factory you've always craved to be!
Bigger storing capacity and more recipes! Based on current experiences, home brewers want more recipes so we've doubled the capacity and extended the machine’s memory from 8 GB to 16 GB.

Why the heck does a beer machine need 16GB of memory?

Doubled memory
Be the recipe factory you've always craved to be!
Bigger storing capacity and more recipes! Based on current experiences, home brewers want more recipes so we've doubled the capacity and extended the machine’s memory from 8 GB to 16 GB.

It makes your Double Dry Hops more doubler??

"Hello _______,

We're currently assembling requests for trading in the B20s for the newest B+, and will reach out to all in presumably a day with individual offers.

Best,

Adam

--
Best regards / Üdvözlettel

Adam Sipos
Head of Marketing
E-mail: [email protected]"

It seems that we've all been receiving the same offer. I am still fighting for a refund, however, after 6 days since my last communication from them, I was told this morning: "I am not sure at this point if we can do it via PayPal."

So, I asked what would the refund payment method be then.
I also asked what would the timeline be to wait for the new unit. After waiting 14 months and being told every month, "Next Month", I told them I want a DEFINITIVE timeline if I am to consider a replacement upgraded unit.

+1 to @Lapja and @BrunDog

We should have received working machines in the first place and we should not have to pay any more, in fact, we should get a multitude of bonus pads.

I got email offer: new B20 shipped from current stock within 2 weeks, or free upgrade to B+ at end of April. I opted for B+, but not holding my breath on time line.

Oh my, this is a joke......well it's not a joke really. Just got this email:

"Dear __________,

We’ve received your trade-in request, and have processed it individually, as we do with all other similar requests.

Regarding the information you've shared in our form, we'd like to offer you the following option:

Trade in your Brewie B20 for the newer generation's Brewie+ for half of its final price: for only $1199

If you decide to trade your old unit in for a new one, you will expect deliveries to be fulfilled in late April, since mass production start in mid-March, and shipping schedules will be first assessed in the first days of April. Don't worry - you will be one of the first people to receive the brand new Brewie+.

However, we'd like to remind you that trading in your Old Faithful is not obligatory - software changes and updates will be compatible with the B20s for a long time, and we are not planning to leave behind anyone who put his confidence in our first generation unit.

Please note that the trade-in does not contain shipping costs. All shipping and customs fees will be charged on the customer, in accordance with Hungarian law.

If you accept the terms of the trade-in, please, inform us so. If you have any additional information, questions or debate our decision, please also contact us.

Cheers,
The Brewie Team"

My trade in offer was "for only $1399"
Took them 2 years to deliver first machine (ordered 11/15, delivered 10/17), then tell me machine may be faulty right after I get it, and now come out with a "new and improved" machine after a few months. I am not happy. This "upgrade" offer feels more like a bait and switch routine.
Sell me on all of the properties of the brewie+, promise me them, then delivery me an inferior (in theory anyways) product - the B20. Then offer to upgrade me to what I was originally promised.

Just got the same email. Clearly its a been "individually processed" as i was quoted the same ridiculous amount (edit: $1199).

I worked out in my head a couple of days ago that i'd probably pay up to around $300-400 max for the upgrade (figure cover shipping). Its a pretty big screw job to the original customer base in my opinion. i basically could have waited 3 months from when i received my delivery and i would have only paid like $30 more total for the B+ and i would have had 1800 in my pocket for the better part of 2 years. They basically just told us that the $1800 beer machine they sent me in december is only worth about $600 at this point. I'm guessing 90% of the parts are the exact same save the upgraded pumps, the clearcoat, and the newer electronic bits that they're trying to make sales points of.

I will just brew the crap out of mine. I have 16 months left on warranty and looking around, it seems that something will fail in that time frame. If i'm 'lucky' it will be something significant enough to get me a B+ upgrade anyway.

I was going to write balint and tell him that this is a huge kick in the nuts, but i think he knows it already, and honestly i feel bad for the guy.

I agree completely and was probably willing to pay about $500 to "upgrade". The $1199 price is offensive in so many ways. I really wonder if there are grounds for some kind of class action or paypal initiative. This is feeling like a pretty bad bait and switch. They are also making random exceptions for broken units now. If my unit breaks tomorrow, do I get a free upgrade too?

I am puzzled by the different Brewie responses. Have you been brewing with the Brewie for a while? Is your machine still working? Have your machines worked at all? My machine never passed any testing, never brewed a single batch. I invested in Oct 2015 as part of Indiegogo backing and got my machine in Nov/Dec 2017. Maybe that's the reason for the free upgrade? I Don't know. Sorry for anyone being charged quite a bit to upgrade.

1) I guess they DO evaluate cases individually
2) it seems like a lot of $ differences based on the above responses.
3) They must be cash strapped. I'd guess so after reading all of the negatives. Reminds me (once again... why I did not venture into a commercial brewery!!!)

Meanwhile, I have to share some experiences and ideas.

I purchased a Z2 (5ga version of zymatic in a stacked configuration) and also PicoPro from PicoBrew. The Z is slated for July or later. I've wanted to brew something for a while, so I bought the PicoPro to do some mall batches now.

The PicoPro arrived quickly and I've done two 1.5ga batches (while at soccer practices with my daughter, BTW). Clean up ~ 15min when I got home. It's ridiculous easy. However, PicoPaks are pricey ~ $9 a six pack (similar to store bought craft beer, but YOU put in the work). It's a very small batch "cutesy" home brew device, and I'll have to do a follow up on the quality of the beer.

I'd say the PicoPro fits the bill for... I've never brewed before but "look what I did" for a dinner party, friends, gifts, small gatherings etc. PicoPro is good for that guy who wants to show up and hear... "you brewed this?" but a lot of beer is not necessary. You're able to provide that "homemade" "personal" gift. Alternatively, if you drink a beer or two a week, this is your great hobby device. It won't save you any money vs buying that Sculpin off the shelf, though.

For someone more experienced, you can put together an original recipe on a small scale and see how it goes in PicoPak format. It will still cost $9 per six pack, though. I may try an award winning Kölsch before doing it in 5ga batch this summer. Maybe if you're REALLY into this, you could get your PicoPaks sold on their website. I'm not that guy. I'm a surgeon, and have a daughter at national team soccer level... my free time is severely limited.

I can't decide, until I use both of these "not in existence yet" devices.....

Did the email really say “Old Faithful”? You must have edited that.
Mine did, which is funny since it’s only been at my house for 4 months and only used once. I haven’t had time to check if it has SSR problem - ie the extra vigorous, burn your house down boil issue.

Here is the latest info I received for the new Brewie from David

What you - along with several other customers - have experienced to date was our initial efforts to play big although we were still little in numbers.

But today is a completely different day:
- Our company is now 3x in size compared to a year ago. (each month we hire at least one new workforce!)
- The new Brewie is flawless and being manufactured in a completely new factory based on revised standards.
- All hardware upgrades were inspired by customer feedback and internal testing.
- The warehouses and service centers are due to regular training.
- The online management tools and communication have been centralized and regularly being fine tuned.

lead Engineers will travel to our production partners to overlook the launch of the new Brewie machines personally, for to avoid any glitches. We are working very hard not to cause you any headaches at all in the future.

I think they are trying to get it together. Not holding my breath and we know things will not change like flipping a light switch.

Got the below email this morning. I am still amazed (although I really shouldn't be...) at the disconnect between the company and the original backers. They still don't understand how much they have taken advantage of us over the years. I emailed them after the first "offer" and told them it must be a joke. Then this, which I think is probably worse at the price they quoted me. We get to keep a machine that we know will break eventually, and we get to pay $1199 plus shipping for a new un-tested (not even released yet) machine? This isn't an "upgrade" at all.

"Dear _____________,

In the last couple of days we have received many input, feedback and general comments about the trade-in options we've sent out. While some accepted our offer, others believed that they have been tricked in a way.

We'd like to emphasize, that we are fully committed to the community that has been created and formed by the Brewie B20s, and we are also committed to our first product, so close to our hearts. And as one of backers, who believed in Brewie before even the first unit reached its caring home, we know that you feel the same way.

We discussed how best we could prove you our commitment and confidence in what the B20 and our following products will stand for, and would like to send you a revised offer of the ones sent out last week.

Double your brewing capacity by ordering the Brewie+ at a 50% discount ($1199)
and
carry on brewing with the Brewie B20 to never be on a shortage of great craft beer!

Both servicing and software updating will continually support the Brewie B20s, and they will continue to brew those tasty craft beers that we all love so much. If anyone feels it isn't the case - well, we'll prove them wrong!

If you decide to accept our offer, please, inform us in a reply, and we will send you final details once all responses have been collected, during this week. The offer stands until March 15th.
The mass production of the Brewie+ will start by mid-March, and the first units will reach their destination in late April.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Cheers,
The Brewie Team
Please note that shipping costs, VAT and optional fees (customs, etc.) are not included."

Wait... the solution is to buy an additional machine? That’s just plain insulting. I think you should enforce their responsibility to get the machine you already bought RIGHT.

Perfectly stated BrunDog. I just sent this email:

Adam Sipos <[email protected]>,
Balint Laszloczki <[email protected]>

Guys-
This still misses the mark pretty badly. I am still amazed (although I really shouldn't be...) at the disconnect between the company and the original backers. Brewie still doesn't understand how much the company has taken advantage of us over the years. I think this offer is probably worse at the price you have quoted me. I get to keep a machine that we know will break eventually, and I get to pay $1199 plus shipping for a new un-tested (not even released yet) machine? This isn't an "upgrade" at all. If I purchased the new unit I will have invested nearly $3,000 USD on two machines that have yet to be proven over the long-term. The offer for the original backers really should be an even swap once the new machine has been released and tested. The warranty for the original machine should be extended and include a swap if it dies.

This is a young company. I don't think they have unlimited funds. I think we have more to gain by helping them survive then bleed them dry. They do owe something (A WORKING MACHINE) but they can't possibly have the funds to replace ever gen 1 with a gen 2. If we look at Pico or Apple they stand behind there products and they don't have many problems. With that said I think a machine can be built so it works. I know this one doesn't. How long do we expect a Brewie to last for the money. If they stand behind it with repairs or replacement as needed through that time I would feel taken care of. What would make us happy 5 10 15 years. Lets start asking them for a longer warranty and forget the upgraded until its used as a replacement. Just a thought.

For all the stress I had to go through of not buying a machine do to crappy UN-tested hardware and terrible non-existent support they should be offering everyone 50% their new machine!

Back