Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like many crowd funded projects don't really have any experienced engineers. It used to be venture capitalists would provide or demand a few proven people in the right positions. Now startups get funded solely by how "cool" the video concept is.

The result is no longer fast 6-9 month product cycles with no defects, but 2-3 year development times with what is really beta units pretending to be production.

I think you are spot on. Personally I contacted the head of brewie before taking the plunge on indiegogo, asking questions, sharing my build knowledge. I had taken my system as far as I could and wanted complete automation because of increasing family demands. I knew my "investment" was a gamble and I was willing to lose it. I couldn't build something like this for the "early adopter" price that I paid. Heck, I spent about double on my hand built system over the years of trial and error.

Same thing went for my Vessi "investment". I contacted the head of Vessi, had some back and forth, saw that they were backed by Whirlpool and decided to go for it. A few short months later I had my Vessi and it works perfectly. Having Whirlpool backing you has to help.

So as the saying goes, caveat emptor.

PS-I have no affiliation with either product.

Seems like many crowd funded projects don't really have any experienced engineers. It used to be venture capitalists would provide or demand a few proven people in the right positions. Now startups get funded solely by how "cool" the video concept is.

The result is no longer fast 6-9 month product cycles with no defects, but 2-3 year development times with what is really beta units pretending to be production.

You hit the nail square on the head I think!

Yup. I did the same. Contacted Sal or Mal or whatever.... it's been 18 months ago. Have a working Vessi (empty) in my garage. Sold a 1/2 BBL brewery to a brew pub (including 7 gal temp controlled fermenter). Still waiting........... and waiting.

Got my software update (double IPA 2.1) but I'm still getting the same error as I was before. Water heats to strike temp and then mashes in but then pulls all the water back to the boiling tank and pauses indefinitely. Error was supposed to be fixed with this update but I guess not. Emailing with my Hungarian friends....thankfully I am just testing and not using grain or hops.

That stinks. Are you sure the software update completed? Sounds like a few people have had trouble with the update taking a few attempts, but those that have completed it are seeing good results.

Restarted many times and tried to get it to re-update. Switched wifi connections and that started the update again. It spun for 20 mins so I shut it off. Now the machine is bricked at the first "brewie" screen on startup and won't launch. I feel like this is ms-dos FFS. Emails to brewie and nothing back. Is there a factory reset button anywhere? I can't find one. I'm hoping some combination of buttons will reset the thing.

Any updates on this system, thinking about purchasing one.... Cheers

I think it now is a good time to buy or perhaps wait a few more months if you are cautious. After 2 years of wondering if this machine would materialize and then many months of dealing with beta software and bugs, things are finally stabilizing and lead times for new orders is down to weeks.

I got mine 2 weeks ago and waited for for the most recent software update to come out. I ran through a mock brew with that today and my only minor complaint was that the boil was held a degree or two below where I'd like it. It was a soft boil. In all reality, probably fine but I'm use to a really vigorous boil from my propane burner. I'll do a full brew this weekend and hope all is smooth there as well.

One thing to note is that that the mobile app and social site shown on the Brewie site and videos are not out yet. If those matter to you, it's best to hold off.

3. questions:
1. How you brew an 10% RIS on Brewie?
2. How much time you need for a typcal brew for start to end (cleaned everything)?
3.Did somebody won a competition with a beer brewed with Brewie?

3. questions:
1. How you brew an 10% RIS on Brewie?
2. How much time you need for a typcal brew for start to end (cleaned everything)?
3.Did somebody won a competition with a beer brewed with Brewie?

1. Haven't brewed a RIS yet, but I think 10% is just beyond Brewie's limits if you want all grain and a 5 gallon batch. No problem if you drop to a 4 gallon batch. Updates are planned to allow mashing of more than 1 bag to hit higher ABV at 5 gallons.

2. The time elapsed is similar to other all grain systems. The only time savings is that you can be away from the machine while it runs.

3. I have no idea, but I'd guess no since the product is new and just stabilizing as I mentioned above.

My Brewie is on the way to a California repair facility. It was getting a black screen part way through mashing. No cost to me, let's hope they get it all fixed and I'll be good to go!

My brewie is still stuck on startup and I am waiting for dhl to come pick it up. Thankfully I kept the original box just in case something like this happened. I am still baffled that brewie can't load the software from a startup or install disc. My machine is fine mechanically. It just needs a software update and can't load it because it can't even get to the internet connection segment. Seems a rather dumb design to me, waste of shipping costs and risk of damage in transit.

My brewie is still stuck on startup and I am waiting for dhl to come pick it up. Thankfully I kept the original box just in case something like this happened. I am still baffled that brewie can't load the software from a startup or install disc. My machine is fine mechanically. It just needs a software update and can't load it because it can't even get to the internet connection segment. Seems a rather dumb design to me, waste of shipping costs and risk of damage in transit.

You are right - a USB entry point should be possible.

You are right - a USB entry point should be possible.

Agreed! The USB port is there. They should be able to send me a link to the software, download it to a USB stick and pop it in to overwrite whatever problem is occurring. I suggested this to them and they say it is not possible. If they have to ship every unit back to a repair facility under warranty for a simple software issue, they won't last long. I'm glad I got my brewie, but I can't say I see a sustained business model for the company. If I had to guess they are marketing the company to be sold now that they have a....well, let's call it a semi-working prototype.

Ya, unfortunately that sounds right. I am not an owner, and I know most people go online when they have a complaint, but not necessarily something positive to say, but nonetheless it seems there is just too many sweeping problems so far.

The major failures in my book: promising non-realistic dates for years (basically lying to customers), ignoring repeated inquiries from backers/customers, creating an appliance which allows for and cannot survive an overflow of hot sugary liquid, and software which despite being version "2.1" continues to be grossly flawed.

Personally, I waited until I got the unit to provide any feedback. I knew I would have to wait a long time to get the unit, if ever, so I refrained from complaining. I was prepared to lose my "investment".

Now that I have the unit, I feel like it is time to provide some feedback to the community. I want to love the unit, but it hasn't worked for me yet.

My brewie is working well for me. Two batches through the machine. Efficiency is right around 70%. Using automatic water and cooling.

My brewie continues to sit in my garage waiting to be picked up and sent to.....first told Taiwan then maybe CA, and now a "new" service center in Memphis. First it was dhl and they never came. And now I am told ups will come pick up my paper weight and hopefully fix it. My patience is gone. I just have to laugh now, the experience is so bad.

After a few failed pickups my brewie finally got picked up by ups and is off to Memphis, TN for repair. The new “repair center” is Hamilton Appliance. Looks like a small appliance repair shop. I honestly hope the owner is a homebrewer and on HBT.

still waiting for my paper weight. I was an original supporter on indiegogo and paid up front Oct 21, 2015. It would be nice if they have a working machine by the time it gets to me, however.

Email from Brewie today. I have many words I could use, but pathetic was the first one that came to mind that I could actually post:

"Dear _____________!

Acknowledging one's mistakes is never an easy task, but we reached the point where we can not simply avoid the fact that we have, as a company let you down.

Without pushing responsibility to other actors we must admit that we have not yet been thoroughly prepared for service issues when started shipping to North America. Ever since the first reports of machine callbacks came, we have been running after ourselves and the events around us.
For this, we'd like to deeply apologize.

We can not make up for your lost time, but we might help you ease the frustration by offering a Pad Pack delivered to you in the following weeks.

About the future: the service equipment is on its way to Memphis and will arrive presumably next week. To test the service, we will need about 4-5 workdays, which will include repairing the first 4 machines in queue.
Once it will be clear that this service is going to be able to fulfill our needs, we are going to transport all machines and equipment from the California facility to Memphis (in 2-3 workdays) and repairs will commence.

We are very hopeful that this time no issues will stand between you and your long-awaited machines, and all machines will be delivered after repairs in approximately 1,5 months from now.

We can not thank you enough for your patience."

The latest from my friends today. Needless to say, I am not "greatful" at the moment.

"Dear ______________!

We are sending you this letter with some good news!

Finally the long-awaited spare parts have arrived to both of our Service Centers from Taiwan - the one in California, and the other one in Memphis.

Now the action plan is, as follows: by the middle of next week our new Service Partners in Memphis will inform us about the progress they've made with the machines located there. As soon as we receive favourable news from them, all machines that have been sitting ducks in California will be redirected to Memphis, where in approximately 3 weeks all machines will be nursed back to health, and finally shipped back to you in a few workdays.

As we promised in our Newsletter on 11th of October, 2017, all affected Customers who have been incredibly patient during this period, will receive a complimentary Pad Pack from us.

Once again, we are immeasurably greatful for your patience."

I too have had problems with my Brewie. After three brews my machine never worked right. long story short it might be in TN now. Brewie will not respond to me on FB or there website. I have called pay pal to complain and did get one response from brewie afterwards. If you went through Paypal or not please let them know about your issues. They can help up to 2 years after purchase.

I too have had problems with my Brewie. After three brews my machine never worked right. long story short it might be in TN now. Brewie will not respond to me on FB or there website. I have called pay pal to complain and did get one response from brewie afterwards. If you went through Paypal or not please let them know about your issues. They can help up to 2 years after purchase.

What problems was your machine having? My machine has consistently run well. My one complaint has been low efficiency. From talking to other users, I think I've been using too fine of a crush.

My one complaint has been low efficiency. From talking to other users, I think I've been using too fine of a crush.

This would be very unusual. A finer crush should increase efficiency. The problem with too fine a crush is usually a stuck sparge. I have always heard to crush as fine as you can without having draining problems.

my first issue was during the step mash. A small amout of wort was left in the boil tank and the burner was left on burning it to a crisp.

The second was the 99% issue and the hops never were boiled

Then the third time it never came to a boil only about 165*

This would be very unusual. A finer crush should increase efficiency. The problem with too fine a crush is usually a stuck sparge. I have always heard to crush as fine as you can without having draining problems.

That was my original thinking but it doesn't seem to be playing out that way on the Brewie. The thought is that the fine crush is causing the grains to be very compact in the bag. You don't get a stuck sparge but the flow ends up being around the grains instead of through. I'll try a standard crush on my next brew and see how it goes...

That was my original thinking but it doesn't seem to be playing out that way on the Brewie. The thought is that the fine crush is causing the grains to be very compact in the bag. You don't get a stuck sparge but the flow ends up being around the grains instead of through. I'll try a standard crush on my next brew and see how it goes...

That makes sense. That, to me is a different kind of stuck sparge. It might be too fine and if it was on top of a false bottom instead of in a bag, the wort would not drain.

We just got our Brewie and it looks like the heating elements aren’t working. Brewie has yet to respond on next steps. What disappointment. Should I have gone with a Zymatic instead?

I have both the Zimatic and the Brewie. I bought the Brewie because it did 5 gal and had a chiller. BUT THE BREWIE HAS NEVER WORKED RIGHT FOR ME. And is still in for repair.
The pico (Zimatic) work has great customer support. It has a lot of plastic parts that are fragile but I have never had to pay to have them fixed.
After using both of them I don't think there is a machine that you can load up and walk away from. If anyone buys one plan on keeping a eye on it While you do something else.

My saga continues. Brewie has stopped responding to my emails, and as it looks like there are so many others with broken machines, they have resorted to mass emails now:

Dear ______________!

We are happy to inform you that our Service Partners in Memphis, Tennessee have found a storage facility. We will start transferring all of those machines that have been waiting to be repaired in Gilroy, California.

At the same time we will start recalling all of those Brewie B20s that need our attention, but haven’t been collected yet due to lack of space at the service center.

I will contact each and every one of you separately steadily. This letter is an update to all of you waiting for your faulty Brewie B20 to be repaired.

Should you have any questions, concerns, notices, please contact me at [email protected]

Warm regards,

Balint

I cannot recommend anyone buy this thing right now.

Brewie’s have had seemingly random errors and problems since the beginning. Microcontrollers and microprocessors do not do random things unless their environment is unstable. This leads me to believe there is a hardware problem that has existed from the beginning. This is why each subsequent firmware release didn’t necessarily make the system much less error prone IMO. Perhaps the brewie team did not get any signals there was a hardware problem but the volume started to expose it.

I hope for the sake of all who bought one, the brewie Team has id’d the root cause of the problem and will find/allocate the resources ($ included) to truly remedy the problem. It doesn’t sound like they have communicated well to this point - this is a great opportunity for them to act and restore faith in their customer community. If they do so, they still have a chance to own the market IMO.

Back