Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not see it in person. I saw it on the Brewie Facebook page and thought it was a good sign. Their page says they have a booth from Sept 2-7th at the tech show in Berlin.

I did not see it in person. I saw it on the Brewie Facebook page and thought it was a good sign. Their page says they have a booth from Sept 2-7th at the tech show in Berlin.

They do, I'm sitting 15 feet away from them with our PicoBrew van!

The show is called IFA

Just saw Brewie is doing a demo in Berlin. They will be showing the latest hardware with new developments plus a video. I am very happy to hear they are moving forward and will maybe produce a great machine. I have been looking at the Zymatic because it is already in production with good results but I live in Europe and the added tax to the Zymatic (20%) puts it out of reach. I really hope Brewie gets it together and lives up to their potential. I will be buying one or something.

Kind of strange Donald Brewer of Zymatic is away in Germany at the moment.

He's here with me and our entire PicoBrewTeam. We're showcasing the Pico, or new smaller steam brew machine.

You guys are conspiracy theorists!

Cheers
Annie

I really am 15' away from Brewie if you want me to ask any questions I can try.
I am wearing my PicoBrew polo though.

They're serving beer. American pale ale. As a BJCP Nationsl I would give it a 24. Thin, watery but probably because it really isn't their specialty.

Let me know, I am here until 09/07!

Well, why not!
-Is their software web service dependent or can it function offline?
-What's the cleaning cycle consist of?
-What's their batch consistency/efficiency in terms of mashing?

Ha! Helping out a competing product. That shows how much a company cares about customers. Awesome.

We were hoping they had the system running during the show ... A demo of the system, not just the Beer they make.

Tell them to jump on this forum again. They have a bunch of supporters getting ready to bail on the product, and potential customers that are being scared away because if the complete lack of communication and constantly changing timelines!

Smaller Pico, eh? Got plans for a bigger one? Full 5 gallon batches?

You rock Annie!!! No conspiracy here just watch a lot of cop shows. Live in Europe and looking for a great machine with easy clean up. The cost of shipping a Zymatic plus import taxes of 20% almost doubles the price of the machine.

Ha! Helping out a competing product. That shows how much a company cares about customers. Awesome.

We were hoping they had the system running during the show ... A demo of the system, not just the Beer they make.

Tell them to jump on this forum again. They have a bunch of supporters getting ready to bail on the product, and potential customers that are being scared away because if the complete lack of communication and constantly changing timelines!

Smaller Pico, eh? Got plans for a bigger one? Full 5 gallon batches?

The more I think about it, the more 2.5 gallon batch size makes sense for these devices:
-5 gallon corny kegs are great for fermenting and closed transfer...
-but 10/15 gallon corny kegs are generally 4x as expensive
-2.5 gallons will drink faster, allowing you to brew twice as many recipes...
-which take you maybe an hour each to brew, thanks to the high level of automation.
-it's easier to shake-oxygenate a 2.5 gallon batch than a 5 gallon
-the smaller batch size reduces the necessity of yeast starters
-and if you don't want to buy 2.5 gallon serving kegs, you can just brew a duplicate batch the next day, giving you the advantage of ---the first 2.5 gallons acting as a yeast starter.

I'm buying either a brewie or picobrew as soon as I manage to sell my existing setup (3 vessel sanke kegs on gas). Being able to brew 4 recipes totally 10 gallons in less time than I currently brew a single 10 gallon recipe, and have it be more consistent to boot, is quite compelling.

2.5 gallon batches might be interesting from a frequency point of view but you can not forget about the 3-4 weeks after the brew day until you can be drinking the beer. Going through all of the yeast, fermentation and keg management for a case of beer at a time just seems like too much work even though your brew day would be "easy". Just my opinion.

I figured I'd chime in on this.. I preordered one of these things back in October of 2015, the day it opened. I remember them saying it would ship in February and since they had already had several orders placed way before oct 2015 when they opened it the first time, I figured it would be ready.. They kept pushing it back and making up reasons so I finally cancelled and bought an all electric 3 tier system which I love... It took me several emails to get my refund but they finally did, which was provided from Marcell.

If I was anyone looking into one of these,I'd definitely wait until they are released and pay the extra couple hundred for retail or get something else instead.. Looks like this machine could have soooo much potential but with some of their excuses for pushing it back, I'd be very hesitant.

I just got a grainfather to play around with 2.5 gallon recipes with. Can't speak to how it works yet because I am waiting on the 2.5 gallon micro pipe work to get back in stock.. I also heavily considered the Picobrew but ruled it out due the the price(only because I had a full on setup already). They seem like a reputable and solid company though and I wouldn't hesitate to go that route if you want smaller batches...

I think Brewie is really screwing the pooch on what could be an awesome machine.

I really am 15' away from Brewie if you want me to ask any questions I can try.
I am wearing my PicoBrew polo though.

They're serving beer. American pale ale. As a BJCP Nationsl I would give it a 24. Thin, watery but probably because it really isn't their specialty.

Let me know, I am here until 09/07!

Way to go Annie! You're taking better care of Brewie customers than Brewie team is! Smart move!

I'm also interested in getting some other machine if Brewie won't be able to deliver soon. Why Pico hasn't been number 1 at my list? Because it doesn't have built in wort chiller, batches are too small for me and as I don't have fermentation chamber (no space-->ssbrewtech FTSs) fermenting in kegs means fermenting without temperature control!

You rock Annie!!! No conspiracy here just watch a lot of cop shows. Live in Europe and looking for a great machine with easy clean up. The cost of shipping a Zymatic plus import taxes of 20% almost doubles the price of the machine.

Ok Gang,
I will take some pictures and ask them your questions. I introduced myself yesterday and empathized with them on how hard it actually is to bring a product to market. They agreed.
Competition is good and when you're producing something as unique as both these products it's good for everyone to succeed, you agree?

In regards to ant new products, well, we couldn't go any smaller! 😉

Cheers!

I will add that if any of you do consider a Zymatic, write to us at [email protected]
We have a pretty good program discount we offer through our retailers online. Ask for Mike and he can provide you with details. That includes our international peeps, too.

I will get over to Brewie today and ask your questions.

Thanks for the link to Mike. Keep us posted on Brewie or anything else you think is cool.

Hi, the machine on display is not running. I directed them to all of the questions you posted and asked they visit HBT.
I reiterated the importance of communication. We had lots of delays with our products but kept the channels open with weekly communication. I didn't lecture them just stressed the importance.

That's not encouraging. They're shipping what, a month from now? less? Despite that, a working demo unit's not available.

Well they are showing up at shows so that likely means they are working towards something. Hopefully that something is a working sellable machine.

If I was an investor and had the chance to divest, I honestly can't imagine why I wouldn't jump to a similar in concept , fully functioning and proven Zymatic. But that is just me. YMMV

The only real advantage the brewie has over the Zymatic (my opinion only, not spec specific) is the 5 gallon batch, cooling (reportedly), and sparge, which SHOULD provide higher efficiency. Honestly though, if picobrew offered a 5 gallon high gravity batch option, I'd have one already.

I am sitting here rubbing my eyes: Picobrew's folks informing us about the brewie and informing brewie about the importance of communication.

While there is silence from brewie.

Strange world. But very good job QoB! You are definetly winning some hearts here. Not to mention customers.

The only real advantage the brewie has over the Zymatic (my opinion only, not spec specific) is the 5 gallon batch, cooling (reportedly), and sparge, which SHOULD provide higher efficiency. Honestly though, if picobrew offered a 5 gallon high gravity batch option, I'd have one already.

You nailed it! Exactly my thoughts!

Cooling and batch size in that order is the problem with Picobrew for me. Now is QoB listening?

I am thinking Picobrew could update their Zymatic and have it out to customers before Brewie!

Looks like they put up a new video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udOqdJwB3EI[/ame]

If I were expecting one of these, I would be pissed they are spending time & money on a professional video rather than getting the product out the door. Starting to feel like vapor to me. Good luck!

They also have a new web site. I sent an e-mail to their Communications Manager, Gabriella Sinka 2 days ago about their product and am still waiting for a response.

Cooling and batch size in that order is the problem with Picobrew for me. Now is QoB listening?

You can brew 5 gallons you just need to ferment in a carboy or separate fermenter. We have a lot of customers who do. As the Z is designed to brew and ferment in the corny 5 gallons would be a bit mic due the Krausen. The max batch in a 5 g is 3.75 if you don't have a separate fermenter.

Cooling, I use an immersion chiller and run the wort inline. Takes 15 minutes. Jaded has developed a corny pillar chiller that takes less than 10. Some hook up a plate chiller. Some cool overnight.

Join our Picobrewers Facebook page and talk to real users, they'll give you honest answers. The Z isn't perfect but it's a pretty good machine.

Cheers!

I met her, she is nice. The show wrapped last night so they should be available now of when they get back to Hungary.

You can brew 5 gallons you just need to ferment in a carboy or separate fermenter. We have a lot of customers who do. As the Z is designed to brew and ferment in the corny 5 gallons would be a bit mic due the Krausen. The max batch in a 5 g is 3.75 if you don't have a separate fermenter.

I have 7gallon Ss Brewtech conical, so fermenter is not a problem. Chilling can be solved also, I know.

How about the max OG if brewing 5gal batch? Isn't 9lbs max grain amount? It's not very much for 5gals so you can forget high gravity brews?

You can brew up to 1.090 on the Z using all grain with our HE mashing schedule. No adjuncts. But that's 2.5 g
Join our Picobrewers FB or write us at [email protected] I don't get here too often

Looks like they put up a new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udOqdJwB3EI

If I were expecting one of these, I would be pissed they are spending time & money on a professional video rather than getting the product out the door. Starting to feel like vapor to me. Good luck!

That was one of the most asinine video's I have ever seen. I was sorta into it up until the announcer said "so you have time for other important things, besides beer" and the woman plopped on the couch, he showed her something on the tablet, she then looked longingly at his lips as he leaned in... and then he got up and walked away. So what were those important things again?

Brewie looks like this Russian version... i like the panel on the Russian one more-so.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhGObrVWMTs[/ame]

Woah. Ran their website through Google translate. The Russian Beer Render is bigger produces 6.6 gallons of wort ... higher gravity beers, has a 3500w element (vice Brewer's weak 1800w) and claims to ship in 3 to 30 days. Not sure who was first, but it sure looks like the Russians got beat Brewie beat!

It doesn't look so smooth on the inside like the Brewie. It is hard to tell from the video but the inside corners look square not rounded off like the Brewie. I would like some feedback from someone who has one. Beer Render has a web site and says it costs $1500 and the touch could be programmed in english.

Yes, I would want a lot of user reviews before buying a Russian beer machine that could be put into English! There are a lot of moving parts to these machines and it just looks like a problem waiting to happen with all of the automation and pumps. But, I do not know how complex or simple the insides look.

It's the Russian part that puts me off. Really no information in english and I would hate to translate the warranty info.

Yeah it's the Russian aspect that puts me off a bit. I know nothing of manufacturing but I even trust Chinese made over Russian made for some reason. But, chances are both versions are made in China lol.

Also has rougher looking edges and only 3 hop compartments to brewie 4. Brewie also uses hop cages

Cue the "In Russia, Beer Makes You" jokes

A quick Brewie question, how do you do your water treatment? What about when you household water supply is very hard?

Thanks. Aamcle

I think he means chemically? Nothing wrong with hard water. I used to brew with really hard water, no issues at all. I did run it through an ultra and carbon filter, but that was for taste, not minerals.

Currently, all of my water treatment additions (gypsum, calcium chloride, acid) are added to the mash. Sometimes I add to the sparge, but not always. Never noticed a difference in the final product with my water now. Using a system such as Brewie, you could just throw them in the mash side once water starts to flow. Since Brewie recycles all the mash water (no real sparge), there's no need to worry about sparge additions.

Or was that not your question?

I was really vague. I suppose I interpreted it as "my water is hard and I want to make pilsners too so what's the deal with the automatic water inlet, is there another way?"

So I just commented on the fact that you can do your own soft water additions if your only running hard water in your house

Back