Brewery Redesign...yep, going HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch101st

Reaction score
So I have started converting over to a HERMS rig for AGB...I am having a hard time noodling through what I want to do for the HLT. I have my mash tun set and ready (just added the Blichmann Autosparge) but cannot decide on what to do for the HLT.

I have been looking at Pol's E-HLT design and while good, not sure I want to go with another orange cooler. I am partial to going with a keg, but I am having a a hard time locating one.

Then there is the issue of what heat source for the HLT; do I go gas or electric? I am thinking electric and keeping the brew kettle as just gas. As so to control the temperature, I am thinking of going heatstick plugged into a Ronco controller...will this work to keep the temperature stable?

Any and all suggestions are welcome, just need to keep it pretty simple as I can do very basic wiring...

Due to living in an apartment and being only on 110, I am going with the gas and electric option...gas to raise up the temp, electric heater to keep the water temp at 158ish.

Pics are forthcoming...lotta work but well worth it!!

And to think this is only version 2.0... Here was version 1.17:

Picture004-2.jpg

Back