Brewers Best Irish Stout acceptable FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguy01205

Reaction score
It has been 10 days since I did my first home brew ever, a BB Irish Stout kit. I forgot to take the OG reading before putting the lid on my bucket but I took one about 2 days later and it was at 1.027 ish. I just took another gravity reading today and ended up with about 1.018-1.020ish. Should i wait a few more days and take another gravity reading or am i good to bottle now? The kit instructions are calling for a final gravity of 1.011-1.014 I tasted my hydrometer tube sample and even un-carbonated it taste great, a bit bitter but awesome!

If the recipe had lactose you will have a higher finishing gravity, I hear that malto dextrin can cause the same thing.
I use lactose in a sweet stout several times and it finished higher FG than expected each time.

Like aiptasia said if the FG stays the same for 3 days it's done, whatever the gravity might be.

I just brewed a brewers best Irish stout kit. Had it in the primary 14 days then bottled and conditioned it for 14. Didn't bother taking any gravity readings and intended up perfect.

Back