Brewers Best Apple Cider Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff...

Reaction score
So just for giggles I brewed a Cider House apple cider kit. But I fed it plain white table sugar until the yeast died. Then i racked it through a length of sani copper pipe and finished it off as a wine. I ended up with just a little over 18% ABV.

Then I cut it with 1/3 Walmart brand apple juice and force carbonated in a ball lock keg. At 12% ABV and a good tasting cider to boot, ladies really love it :) it also goes great with smoked pork butt.

IMG_20210525_220603010.jpg

It's just a length of clean and sanitized soft copper pipe I stick on the end of my racking hose. You know that cider house yeast stinks while fermemting, no matter how much yeast nutrant you give it. Racking through copper drives off that nasty smell. Don't ask.me the science behind it all I know is it works and works well.

It's just a length of clean and sanitized soft copper pipe I stick on the end of my racking hose. You know that cider house yeast stinks while fermemting, no matter how much yeast nutrant you give it. Racking through copper drives off that nasty smell. Don't ask.me the science behind it all I know is it works and works well.
Thank you, how long a length of pipe do you use?

Thank you, how long a length of pipe do you use?
About 2' or so. I just fit it inside the racking hose and put it in the carboy or keg. That way all the cider runs through it, plus copper pipe is sitting in the cider for the length of time it takes to rack. I read somewhere that copper drives off that nasty smell and it does work. Why? I really don't know.

About 2' or so. I just fit it inside the racking hose and put it in the carboy or keg. That way all the cider runs through it, plus copper pipe is sitting in the cider for the length of time it takes to rack. I read somewhere that copper drives off that nasty smell and it does work. Why? I really don't know.

Thank you, I may have to dig around and see if I have a short length to add to my auto-siphon.

That way all the cider runs through it, plus copper pipe is sitting in the cider for the length of time it takes to rack. I read somewhere that copper drives off that nasty smell and it does work. Why?

The copper helps remove the sulfur from the product, that's the same reason it is used in distilling.

So... If you want to get lots of kisses and hugs of appreciation from the ladies. Take one of these brewers best apple cider kits and freed it table sugar till the yeast gives up the ghost. Then finish it like a wine , it'll taste like **** but your looking at about 18% ABV. Cut it with approximately 1/3rd apple juice (or to taste) and force carbonate. Mine ended up right at 12% ABV and delicious. I served a 5 gallon chilled keg of this at a wedding two weeks ago, it was a total hit. So many drunk women, not enough cheek space, I'm telling you what, this stuff is the bee's knees. Give it a try and see, if I lie 😂

IMG_20210525_220612119.jpg

Last edited:
Back