Brewer's Best: Amber Ale--My First Beer: Taste Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSahrle

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch of beer. It was a Brewer's Best Amber Ale kit.

Sampled my first bottle yesterday.

The color and aroma are beautiful!

Very nice head.

It's the taste that I'm wondering about. The inital taste is good. Quite hoppy. The finish leaves something to be desired. I wish it ended on a malty note. It does not.

My question: Is it supposed to taste like this? Or did I do something wrong?

There's a lot of posts on this board about this kit, most people seem to have good things to say about it. I guess someone with experience of this kit could answer your question.

The recipe (available here), however, states "smooth, clean finish", which could mean yours tastes right. On the other hand, a pound of caramel 80L should leave a little malt taste no matter what.

Could you compare your recipe and procedure to the one linked? Did you follow the same instructions, use the same amounts? Most importantly, did you steep the Caramel 80L for at least 20 mins at 150-165F?

When did you brew and when did you bottle?

This is a much better question than mine.

Heck, you're not even 21 days in the bottle yet. :) I know its hard to lay off your first brew. I think I finally broke down and got second primary after my third brew...with all of the first three ending like this:

"hmm. only two left, might as well have them tonight. damn...these guys are starting to get goood."

Oh, I thought it was ready to drink after two weeks. Directions state: "Over the
next two weeks the bottles will naturally carbonate. Carbonation times vary depending on
the temperature and beer style, so be patient if it takes a week or so longer."

I guess I'm an over eager beaver!

Kit instructions are not as good as suggestions you'll find here on HBT. Wait a few weeks, then cool, letting the CO2 go into solution, then enjoy.

B

My first batch was a Brewer's Best American pale ale. After two weeks in the bottle, they were certainly drinkable but there was a little bit of an odd taste to the finish. Very hard to describe, and not strong or terrible, but it annoyed me a little.

After a month in the bottle, this taste had gone away completely and the beer tasted simply excellent. One of the things I've learned from reading this forum is that more time can cure just about anything.

Oh, I thought it was ready to drink after two weeks. Directions state: "Over the
next two weeks the bottles will naturally carbonate. Carbonation times vary depending on
the temperature and beer style, so be patient if it takes a week or so longer."

I guess I'm an over eager beaver!

I don't think you are such an over eager beaver. Think of it as a great learning experience. Now you know what your beer tastes like before it reaches maturity. Most people don't know this. Have you ever talked to anyone that has had a commercial beer that was this green? Your will get better as time goes on, theirs probably never will. Doesn't that make you feel better? :rockin:

Latest posts

Back