Breweries/ Local brews to try in Seattle and Portland?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogwinters

Reaction score
So here in a few months My girlfriend and I will be taking a weekend trip from Missoula, Mt through Seattle and down to Portland.. Now, I haven't been over this way since before I was 21 and am looking for good local beer to try and to stock up on. I figured what better place to ask for recommendations?

We will be taking the interstate the whole way since it's going to be winter, but we're open to short detours.. I'm most excited to stock up on Dogfish head, they don't distribute to my wonderful state.

I appreciate all input!

I've been through Seattle once and went to Elysian Brewery. Very good beer and food. There are plenty others as well.

I live near Portland and have been there plenty of times. Must go-to places:

Deschutes
Base Camp
Pints
Widmer
Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB)
Rock Bottom
Laurelwood
Columbia River Brewing
Full Sail

You gonna be busy, dude...

Don't miss Black Raven in Redmond outside of Seattle. Cool vibes in the tasting room and awesome beer from one end of the flight to the other.

I lived in Portland for a few years. Tons of great places. Below are the top ones IMHO.

Hopworks (all around solid beers, 7 grain stout is delicious)
Commons (good farmhouse/belgian style ales)
Deschutes (tons available at taproom that never makes it to the bottle)
Gigantic (small but good)
Lompoc (go to the hedgehouse and grab a rueben)
Cascade Barrel House (for sours)
Occidental (good german style brews)
f*ck Rock Bottom(you can get that mediocre beer anywhere)

Alternatively, go to Horse Brass pub or the Green Dragon (across from Cascade Barrel House). They have tons of taps and you can try a lot of what Portland has to offer in one stop.

Note: Full Sail is actually in Hood River. But if you get there check out Pfriem

Awesome, thanks for the input everyone! I already warned my girlfriend that we'd be busy.. We'll see how many we can get through in 3 days!

No mention of Hair of the Dog? Well that is the #1 place in Portland imo. Cascade being #2. Deschutes would be a must too imo. Rogue was kinda cool as they had a few beers you can't get bottled (at least when I was there).

Back