brewed my first dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
Been into "monk" beer lately so i went out of my usual 5 and 6% beers and brewed up a 1.070 OG on Thursday.
Lallemande Abbey yeast . grains were pilsner, 2 row, white wheat, touch of gambrinus honey malt for sweetness. a pinch of 2 row chocolate for color and a touch of roastiness, a little rolled oats in there . dark brown sugar at flame out. hops were east kent goldings, german spalt and saaz,in that order at 60 30 and 15 . according to my numbers it should finish out at 7.6% ,color is a beautiful caramel in the fermenter.

I’m hoping to get around to my first one this summer. You’ll have to report back on that dry yeast. I plan on using that as well. I’ve only just started dipping into the Belgian rabbit hole.

Dubbels are faves. You may want to look up homemade candi sugar, it is fantastic.
i have but the (3 gallon) recipe i was using as a guide called for dark brown sugar . plus we have all electric appliances and after 50 years of using gas. i wasnt about to experiment making candi sugar.

Dubbels are faves. You may want to look up homemade candi sugar, it is fantastic.
i have but the (3 gallon) recipe i was using as a guide called for dark brown sugar . plus we have all electric appliances and after 50 years of using gas. i wasnt about to experiment making candi sugar.

got a lot going on but im going to try to bottle this today. I tasted a sample out of the fermenter last week. i think i nailed it .

first taste after 12 days post bottling. nailed it !!
first of all the color is a beautiful light brown caramel such as a newcastle brown ale. and at first pour into a snifter type glass, a hefty light tan head that settles down fairly quickly to a light layer of edge foam. the nose is of light banana and raisiny sweetness. mouthfeel is a little oily but on the dry side, carbonation may not quite 100% its full potential but it isnt overwhelming.The flavor front is a brown sugar and honey sweetness noted with fruits like apple and a slight hint of cherry,the hops is almost non-existent. just enough to know its there. ...finishes with again, raisin and honey with a red apple back taste. light flavors , the feel just after half of one , the 7.4% target alcohol is definitely up there in dubbel territory. the beer gods are pleased .

Sounds nice. I have been very happy with using WLP530 for my Trappist style beers, but giving that Lallemande Abbey a try is on my list. I am not sure if it is exactly like the Chimay strain (WLP500).

The D-180 from Candi Syrup, Inc. is wonderful stuff for a reasonable price. One of these days I want to brew a Dubbel or Quat that is just Pilsner and D-180 (maybe with a long boil). I made a wonderful Quad with just D-180, 2-Row, Wheat and Munich. I am usually not a fan of dark crystal and raisin character in beers, but Special B is also a great addition to Dubbels and Quads.

first taste after 12 days post bottling. nailed it !!
Sounds great. One question: What temperature did you ferment at?

The reason I ask is that I used Lallemand Abbaye in a batch a while back, and while the result was OK, it seemed to lack that Trappist/abbey character with all the fruity notes you mentioned. This makes me think that maybe I fermented at too cool a temperature.

The reason I ask is that I used Lallemand Abbaye in a batch a while back, and while the result was OK, it seemed to lack that Trappist/abbey character with all the fruity notes you mentioned. This makes me think that maybe I fermented at too cool a temperature.

Not OP but I did a dubbel with the Lallemand Abbaye yeast which turned out nice IMO, I fermented it at ~21-22c. What was your temp?

i ferment in my basement with no help of a heater or cooler. its in a back corner so it stays cooler and fairly stabile. so i choose my brews and yeast by season. i think it was at 74-76 degrees but it may have been a little warmer towards the end of the ferment. this yeast likes it a little warm .it really was only hard active 4 days. i let it clean up a full 2 weeks .

"Aroma and flavor is fruity and spicy with a hint of alcohol. The optimal temperature range for Abbaye yeast when producing traditional styles is 17°C(63°F) to 25°C(77°F). The pitch rate will affect the fermentation performance and flavor of the beer.

Belgian-Style Ale Yeast Abbaye - Lallemand Brewing"

The flavor front is a brown sugar and honey sweetness noted with fruits like apple and a slight hint of cherry,the hops is almost non-existent. just enough to know its there. ...finishes with again, raisin and honey with a red apple back taste. .
Great post! I appreciate the tasting notes. So if this beer was entered into a competition, would it work as a Dubbel or would it be a Belgian Dark Strong Ale?
I've got a simple Dubbel finishing up now on WLP 500, this sounds like it would be good to dump on the yeast cake, any chance you could put in the whole recipe?

Thank you @spittiz and @Soulshine2 for the temperature info. It confirms that I probably did ferment at too low a temperature to maximize the character of the yeast. In my case, I pitched in the low 60s F and fermented in the upper 60s. (I don't have precise temperature control, but that's the temp the room was at.)

Next time I try Abbaye, I'll go hotter. Now that summer is here, that should be easy.

I made my first dubbel recently. I did a small batch and bottled it, since (to me) it's a sipping beer - a one a day beer - and I didn't need a keg full. I was a bit disappointed as it finished (with T58 yeast). I couldn't get it below 1.020 (from 1.070). But after almost 3 weeks in the bottle, the taste is spot on. It's a keeper.

Great post! I appreciate the tasting notes. So if this beer was entered into a competition, would it work as a Dubbel or would it be a Belgian Dark Strong Ale?
I've got a simple Dubbel finishing up now on WLP 500, this sounds like it would be good to dump on the yeast cake, any chance you could put in the whole recipe?
i wouldnt enter it, im past competing , itd just make me overthink brewing and i wouldnt enjoy it as much , ruined my taxidermy years ago with competition. im happy with my favorite judge anyway, my wife and friends. My wife tasted this and surprisingly she said to me , "oh my god this tastes exactly like Karmelite, how did you do that ???" one of her fav monk beers. i wasnt even trying to clone anything. i just read up on recipes in brew like a monk and took it from there.

Back