Brewed an English Bitter today (BIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason.mundy

BIAB Purist
Reaction score
https://goo.gl/photos/qUnmmyBDYEev27mY6

Brewed an English Bitter today

The biggest disappointment was the drop in temp during the hour mash. I really need to get my insulation cut to fit the new kettle.

20151120_114722[1].jpg

20151120_114740[1].jpg

20151120_114750[1].jpg

20151120_114753[1].jpg

20151120_114812[1].jpg

20151120_114822[1].jpg

20151120_115437[1].jpg

20151120_121147[1].jpg

20151120_121549[1].jpg

20151120_132047[1].jpg

If you cut the mash time to 30 minutes you get half the temperature drop.;) If your grains are milled fine, your mash will be done in less than that.

Throw a winter coat over the kettle, use a sleeping bag, towels work, any kind of insulation will help.

If 156 is your strike temp, that seems a little low to me?

Are you checking mash temp immediately after doughing in? I find it takes about 5 minutes for temps to stabilize. If you check too soon perhaps a false high, and then temps drop a few more degrees.

Since your using a basket, you could just fire the burner very low to add a little heat.

If 156 is your strike temp, that seems a little low to me?

Are you checking mash temp immediately after doughing in? I find it takes about 5 minutes for temps to stabilize. If you check too soon perhaps a false high, and then temps drop a few more degrees.

Since your using a basket, you could just fire the burner very low to add a little heat.

I should have checked it through the mash and added heat.

I've recalculated the strike temperature using priceless' calculator (link in signature). It double checks to 156F.

Inputs included: 6.4# of grain. 6.7# of water. 1G boil off per hour. grain temp 72, mash temp 152.

I think the reason why the strike temp looks so low, is that I am only making a 1.038 beer. Grain weight is pretty low... 6.4#. Thus, it doesn't drop the temp of the water very much when added.

I've got a bunch of reflectix laying around. I just need to cut it to make a good fit around the pot. I should have some better numbers next time.

I should have checked it through the mash and added heat.

I've recalculated the strike temperature using priceless' calculator (link in signature). It double checks to 156F.

Inputs included: 6.4# of grain. 6.7# of water. 1G boil off per hour. grain temp 72, mash temp 152.

I think the reason why the strike temp looks so low, is that I am only making a 1.038 beer. Grain weight is pretty low... 6.4#. Thus, it doesn't drop the temp of the water very much when added.

I've got a bunch of reflectix laying around. I just need to cut it to make a good fit around the pot. I should have some better numbers next time.

Just grab a big bath towel and throw that over the pot and it will help. Much of the heat loss is from the lid area.

Dang that's a lot of temp loss.

Side note: have you tasted the barleywine at all?

I've drank a few pints of the barley wine. I think that this one needs to be bottled and sit for a few months. It had some heat to it. Next time, I'll try to ferment around 64F instead of 68F

I've been looking at Timothy Taylor. Did you use Wyeast 1469 with 100% Marris Otter? (maybe a little dark for 100% marris otter)

Used the Graham Wheeler recipe including Maris Otter and a small amount of black malt. I'm guessing it's a little darker because I upped the ABV from 4.2 to 6%, not sure. Also, used Danstar Windsor, which Wheeler suggested as a better flavor profile compared to S-04.

The biggest disappointment was the drop in temp during the hour mash. I really need to get my insulation cut to fit the new kettle

I had a similar drop in temp - I mashed 4lbs of maris otter. It was about 153 after i added the grains and dropped to 144 in 60min.

Next time i will check it in 30min and add heat. This was my first time mashing base grains!

Used the Graham Wheeler recipe including Maris Otter and a small amount of black malt. I'm guessing it's a little darker because I upped the ABV from 4.2 to 6%, not sure. Also, used Danstar Windsor, which Wheeler suggested as a better flavor profile compared to S-04.

Shetc, here is a video from Timothy Taylors about fermenting their beer. https://youtu.be/BK7p_REuVWU

I wrap my kettle in a large blanket doubled up straight after turning off the heat and mashing in. I only suffer from a couple of degrees temperature loss during a 60 minute mash. A little more so for a 90 minute mash. It isn't pretty but works like a charm!

Back