BrewDemon Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick thought, Kody. The wide top may be great for brewing or for a primary fermenter but for wine or mead making you really want (IMO) a very narrow neck and mouth to reduce the surface area exposed to air when you transfer to a secondary. As a primary this is an expensive bucket. Bottom line: this may be great for a primary but I don't know that I would want to use this as a secondary for my meads or wines.

I would never use it as a secondary... and yes.. your right.. it is a little expensive.. I just thought that due to the conical design.. removing the lees would be easier...

As always... Thanks..

Kody

The reviews that I've read on it say that the plastic is crap, it tends to develop cracks. Also the spout is too low. Generally the reviews say it is a cheap P.O.S. Which is too bad as I was looking at buying one myself. I was liking the 3 gallon size.

Well, I'd say you could disregard most of the posts that say it's a piece of crap. I've got two and use them for making beer. Yes, one of mine (an old one) did crack slightly under the spigot, but they replaced it with a new one. The spigot is in a good spot and works fine. I like them and have used them quite a bit.

i have one for beer and they are ok, I ended up putting a spigot on a three gallon bucket and use the conical only as a back up. The conical shape can make it clumsy. The only thing I can say i like is the clear plastic lets you watch yeast move around and beer clear.

Well, I'd say you could disregard most of the posts that say it's a piece of crap. I've got two and use them for making beer. Yes, one of mine (an old one) did crack slightly under the spigot, but they replaced it with a new one. The spigot is in a good spot and works fine. I like them and have used them quite a bit.
And this is why you should take everything you read on the internets with a grain of salt!

I glad to hear that they are working for you, the amazon reviews are all pretty much crap.

I'll look into these again as the size seems like a good spot between "Damn! Only 10 bottles out of this one gallon batch." And, "I need HOW much honey for 5 gallons!?!?!"

Thanks. There's a lot more favorable reviews, info, and help with these fermenters and the refills too over on the beerborg forums.

Another good thing that I like about these fermenters from BrewDemon is that it's very easy to split a 5G batch between two of them. That way you're not limited to just brewing the 2-2.5G recipes from BrewDemon and/or Mr. Beer. There's plenty of headspace and the 2 3G fermenters are easier to carry/handle/clean/etc than a 6.5G fermenting bucket for some people.

Another thing about the fermenter cracking issue was that it wasn't very bad, not really noticeable either, hidden under the spigot, so I just contacted them about how or what to use to reseal/fix it, not for a replacement. They responded back checking my mailing address and said that a new one will be on it's way. So I'd say their customer support is excellent.

Latest posts

Back