BrewCipher 6.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
I don't know how many HomeBrewTalk users use BrewCipher, but I know there are some, so...

BrewCipher 6.0 spreadsheet, Hoppy Holihaze Edition, is now up for download.

New in Version 6.0:

- Updated MpH Water Models
-------- courtesy of utahbeerdude, from the soon to be released MpH v4
-------- uses malt(ster) specific pH data for many malts/grains
-------- more accurate than other models, per real life mash data

- Fruit Addition Calculator
-------- predicts effective combined OG, FG, Attenuation, and ABV
-------- doesn't ignore the water content of the particular fruit/puree/juice (just sayin')

- pH Target Picker Tool
-------- helps you decide the mash pH you want, based on desired finished beer characteristics

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Go ahead. Don't cost nothin'.

Version 6.4 is up for download. It includes an update to the Fruit Calc sheet and some minor housekeeping. If you use the fruit calculations, I recommend downloading V6.4. If you don't use the fruit calculations, and already have V6.3, it's probably not worth downloading.

The change to the Fruit Calc sheet is this:
Previously, all fruit carbohydrates were included in the effective OG and (where estimated not fermentable) FG.
In V6.4, an estimate of non-soluble fiber (e.g. cellulose) is excluded from the effective OG and FG.
In most cases, this does not affect the predicted ABV (to one decimal). But in the case of fruits with large proportions of insoluble fiber, the ABV prediction may change slightly, due to a resulting change in effective volume of the fruit water/carbs.

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Go ahead. Don't cost nothin'.

Version 6.5 is up. Corrects a bug in 6.4's fruit calc. I hate when that happens. Apologies to anyone who downloaded 6.4 earlier today.

Version 6.6 is up for download at the usual places (linked at beginning of this thread).

V6.6 tweaks the fruit calculations, improves fruit data, and adds a couple of advanced user selectable parameters on the FruitCalc tab. It also fixes a bug in the pH tab that is (was) unique to OpenOffice users.

If you use the fruit calculations or are running in OpenOffice, this update is probably worth the download.

Minor request but can the grain bill percentages as well as the AA% for hops be displayed on the Brew Day Print Me tab? I print these out each brew day and keep em in a 3 ring binder. Would be easier to have that info right there when I'm referring to the recipe later.

Minor request but can the grain bill percentages as well as the AA% for hops be displayed on the Brew Day Print Me tab?

I think there's room for it. I put it on the V6.7 punch list. Thanks for the suggestion!

@VikeMan, I'd like to give brewcipher a try but am getting a message that the file is corrupted when i try to open it in excel. Any ideas why this is happening?

^ Let me know if you have any questions/issues. The help desk is available most of the time.

Yes, thank you. I’ve already run a couple of preexisting recipes through it to see how it compares to other software I’ve used and it looks really well thought out. I’m excited to test it on my next couple of batches.

Version 6.7 (minor update) is up for download.

- added Metabisulfite calculations for LODO
- Fruit Data Enhancements
- Ingredient Data tweaks
- added Grain Bill %s and Hop AA %s to BrewDay Print Me sheet (@andrew.dd.clark)

Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-.
Or from -> Library <-

Thanks for this! I have a question for you. At least one of the online calcs I've used so far also accounts for "Packaging Losses" or similar which are from the Fermenter to the bottle, keg, etc. Do you have a similar factor in yours? I've just downloaded and started messing around with it, but don't yet see this.

Also, since I am solely doing BIAB, should the mash tun dead space be zero?

At least one of the online calcs I've used so far also accounts for "Packaging Losses" or similar which are from the Fermenter to the bottle, keg, etc. Do you have a similar factor in yours? I've just downloaded and started messing around with it, but don't yet see this.

BrewCipher's volume calculations get you "into the fermenter," i.e. they don't account for losses after that. (The "Batch Size" on the Recipe Tab is "into the fermenter.") However, if you have a constant "packaging loss" (say, a gallon or whatever), you could simply add that to the amount you want to package and enter that as the Batch Size.

Also, since I am solely doing BIAB, should the mash tun dead space be zero?

Yep, if you have no volume losses associated with your mash vessel (such as a BIAB kettle with no false bottom), enter 0.

Version 6.8 is now up for download.

New/Updated in v6.8:

- added BrewHouse Efficiency Display (calculated based on user input Mash Efficiency, BrewHouse parameters, and Recipe)
- added Residual Alkalinity Display to Water Tab (I was reluctant to add this, since RA is not (shouldn't be) a target in and of itself, but folks asked for it, so it's displayed for info)
- added Total Fermentables Weight Display to Grain Input Section
- added Plato to SG and SG to Plato conversion calculators to the SG Correction tab
- improved some misc Displays
- added/tweaked some Ingredients

Hi this looks great, does it work on LibreOffice I have downloaded version 7 and none of the macros work?

Do I have to change a setting to enable macros?

Hi this looks great, does it work on LibreOffice I have downloaded version 7 and none of the macros work?

Do I have to change a setting to enable macros?

When you open BrewCipher in Libre Office, you should get a message box asking if you want to enable macros. In that message box, click on the "Enable Macros" button.

If the meassage that pops up when you load BrewCipher does not contain an "Enable Macros" button, it's normally because there's a global security setting in Libre Office that has been set to not allow macros.

Go to Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Security > Macro Security
Choose "Medium" or "Low" there. (I don't recommend "Low")

If you are not getting a macro message box at all when opening BrewCipher in LibreOffice, please let me know what version of LibreOffice you're using, what operating system, and which BrewCipher file you're opening (.xls or .ods). Thanks!

ETA: BTW, with LibreOffice, the .ods version of BrewCipher is recommended. It sometimes randomly chokes on the .xls version. Also, even with the .ods version, after you save and re-open, the macro buttons might seem to have disappeared. They are actually still there, but razor thin and pretty tricky to click on. It's a LibreOffice bug. Personally, if I didn't have excel, I'd run BrewCipher in OpenOffice (which is also free) rather than LibreOffice..

Last edited:
When you open BrewCipher in Libre Office, you should get a message box asking if you want to enable macros. In that message box, click on the "Enable Macros" button.

If the meassage that pops up when you load BrewCipher does not contain an "Enable Macros" button, it's normally because there's a global security setting in Libre Office that has been set to not allow macros.

Go to Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Security > Macro Security
Choose "Medium" or "Low" there. (I don't recommend "Low")

If you are not getting a macro message box at all when opening BrewCipher in LibreOffice, please let me know what version of LibreOffice you're using, what operating system, and which BrewCipher file you're opening (.xls or .ods). Thanks!

ETA: BTW, with LibreOffice, the .ods version of BrewCipher is recommended. It sometimes randomly chokes on the .xls version. Also, even with the .ods version, after you save and re-open, the macro buttons might seem to have disappeared. They are actually still there, but razor thin and pretty tricky to click on. It's a LibreOffice bug. Personally, if I didn't have excel, I'd run BrewCipher in OpenOffice (which is also free) rather than LibreOffice..

Hi Thank you for your reply

I use Arch Linux with the latest version of LibreOffice and downloaded the latest V7 .ods version of BrewCipher

I have set the macro to low and all of the calculated fields are showing #N/A.

I have opened BrewCipher on Google and it works great so problem must be with LibreOffice. I will give OpenOffice a try

Only just found BrewCipher after using Beersmith for 6 years, for simplicity and getting accurate results get a 5 stars from me and a big thumbs up.....

EDIT:
I downloaded BrewCipher v7 from Sons of Alchemy and it works fine now on LibreOffice great......

Last edited:
EDIT:
I downloaded BrewCipher v7 from Sons of Alchemy and it works fine now on LibreOffice great......

One other thing. If you find that LibreOffice won't run macros after the spreadsheet has been saved and reopened by LibreOffice, you can try Downloading the .xls version, opening in LibreOffice and saving in .ods format.

Back