Brewbucket users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello all! Hope everyone had a happy holiday. I have a DIPA in my brewbucket right now. It's my first time using it. I used about 7 ounces of hops (all late addition and whirlpool) They were all in a hop bag and a tried to filter out as much of the trub I could but a decent amount got in. My question is I'll be adding about 3-4 ounces of dry hops. I usually use a paint straining bag but I was wondering if that's necessary with the bucket? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello all! Hope everyone had a happy holiday. I have a DIPA in my brewbucket right now. It's my first time using it. I used about 7 ounces of hops (all late addition and whirlpool) They were all in a hop bag and a tried to filter out as much of the trub I could but a decent amount got in. My question is I'll be adding about 3-4 ounces of dry hops. I usually use a paint straining bag but I was wondering if that's necessary with the bucket? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Greg, using a standard bucket, I wouldn't worry about a bag. You can tip it back (put a block under the front) to let the trub/gunk settle toward the back, then rack from the "clean" part of the bottom. Try to keep as much hop residue from going into your keg/bottle bucket as possible. If you have a spigot in the bucket, just do the same to prevent hop gunk from being transferred. However, if you're using an SS Brew Bucket, you might have problems with hop residue getting into the spigot, in which case, use the bag, but bump up the amount of hops to account for the lack of utilization caused by the bag. Ed
:mug:

Thanks!

Another great way for guys to use the Brew Bucket with alot of dry hops is to lose the nylon bag, those things can be bacteria traps and can clog the racking arm!

Just snag a small section of 3/8" ID silicone tubing. Slide it over the end of your racking arm, and it will act as a racking arm extension, allowing you to reach above the trub/hop pile. Then just add your dry hops directly to the fermenter. Works like a charm!

Cheers,
Michael

I picked up a dry hop canister from NorCal and it works great. No worries about the racking arm clogging up either unlike using mesh bags. For some reason I can't find it on the NorCal site, but you could PM Jay if you're interested.

I could see this working. easily sanitized and cleaned. drop right in boom done.
413ZA57DXZL._SX466_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RIZ7/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back