Brew small batches in big equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to acquire a brewing rig that can brew up to a full barrel of beer. The HLT, MLT, and boil kettle vessels are 45-50 gallons each. But I still want to brew some small batches for now, in the 8-12 gallon range. Eventually working up to 15-30 gallon batches once I'm more confident in my recipes.

So my ONLY question is; Is there any downside to brewing these smaller batches in equipment that was designed for bigger batches, and why? Thanks!

Couple things off the top of my head --
Things like thermowells/thermometers, outlets, etc might not be placed well for small batches. For example, a thermometer might be at the 10 gallon mark, and would be useless in a 5 gallon batch.

The other thing to be aware of is that for larger kettles (i.e. wide) with small batches, your rate of boil off will be a lot faster, so you'll have to accommodate for that.

Couple things off the top of my head --
Things like thermowells/thermometers, outlets, etc might not be placed well for small batches. For example, a thermometer might be at the 10 gallon mark, and would be useless in a 5 gallon batch.

The other thing to be aware of is that for larger kettles (i.e. wide) with small batches, your rate of boil off will be a lot faster, so you'll have to accommodate for that.

Thanks. I checked thermowells and they are low on this system. Boil off - check. I can allow for that. Any issues with depth of grain bed in the MLT?

Just something that I read here on another post. The grain bed should be at least 6" thick. Is it true?

I like how 8-12 gallons is a small batch in your world. They do say everything is bigger in Texas :mug:

Reminds me of when I lived in a little winemaking village on the Rhein a few years back. A "small" glass of wine was 250ml with a miniscus on the top. A "large" glass of wine was a 500ml handle.

I like how 8-12 gallons is a small batch in your world. They do say everything is bigger in Texas :mug:

Reminds me of when I lived in a little winemaking village on the Rhein a few years back. A "small" glass of wine was 250ml with a miniscus on the top. A "large" glass of wine was a 500ml handle.

Yeah, I can see where that might sound a little funny. As you may be able to surmise, I have bigger plans than simply home brewing. Need a system right now capable of doing 15 gallons, but may also need bigger within less than a year, so might as well go bigger now as the additional cost is not that material, vs completely replacing a smaller system down the road.

Back