Brew set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinlarosa

Reaction score
I'm moving out of the stove and my 30liters (7.92gals) kettle. I thought of going with a 100 Liters boiler (25gals) but then I thought lifting 14 gals fermenters was going to be complicated. Or i guess I would need to keep them in the chamber all the time but when cleaning them.
Another thing I found out in the forums is that a 25 gal kettle would be too big to do 6 gal batches. So....

What do you think about 30L(7.92 gal) HLT 30L(7.92 gal) MLT and 50L(13.2 gal) BK? 47btu and 95btu burners for HLT and BK.
With that I would be fine for doing 6 gallon batches, right?

When I moved off the stove top (8gal kettle) I bought a 10gal brew kettle and a (13.5gal) cooler for a mash tun. I still used my 8gal kettle for a hot liquor tank and it worked very well for 5.5 or 6gal batches.

The 13.5gal cooler has more than enough room for let's say 1.050 to 1.070 beers. It is pretty close to maxed out when I brew a big beer like a Russian Imperial Stout 1.096.

So the bottom line in my reasoning was... what was the biggest beer I planned on making. Then I figured out how much volume I needed in my mash tun to accommodate it. Turned out the 54 quart cooler fit the bill perfectly so I went with it.

This is how big your mash tun needs to be

Building a mash/lauter tun (How to Brew by John Palmer)

Alright. I decided to use the 30 liter as a HLT and get 2 50 liter for MLT and BK.
If I need to do a smaller bath I can do use the 30 liter one as the MLT and a 50 liter as the HLT.

Back