Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlbeer

Reaction score
Hi,
Long time lurker on this forum. I've been all-grain, 10 gallon brewing for about 4 years. My rig is ghetto, but that's about to change. SWMBO gave me the go ahead to get a brew sculpture. I've already decided on a 3 tier over a single tier due to storage constraints so we can forgo that debate. Space being at a premium, I can handle 4 square feet for storage better than what I'm doing now.

Been looking at the Top Tier from Blichmann, but man that's some money. Also considered building my own using either Faztek or 8020 slotted T extrusions (there are a couple of threads on this forum) - but how to mount the burners? I don't think I could bend the metal properly. The Top Tier could ship in days, but it would take weeks is not months for a DIY rig.

Who here has considered or purchased a Top Tier brew tree? What about a DIY brew tree?

Let's hear your thoughts.

I know you said you're looking at a sculpture, but because you're concerned with space, you might want to reconsider the Brutus style. If you're talking square footage, a Brutus style actually takes about half the space.
Sculpture = 4 ft x 4 ft = 16 sq. feet
Brutus = 18" x 60" = 7.5 sq. feet.

All the kettles store nicely on the top of it and you can usually store some stuff under it when not in use. Put some wheels on it and it easily moves out of the way. They're not as big as you might think.

Who here has considered or purchased a Top Tier brew tree? What about a DIY brew tree?

Let's hear your thoughts.

Do some searches; there is at least one really good review with video on the Top Tier system. Also, there is at least one person who DIY'd a version with good results.

3'x3' footprint
IMG00068-20101128-1312.jpg

This is THE reason I like this community - lots of people eager to help!

JonW - Good comment, smaller sq footage for a single tier, but pumps and more plumbing required too - or buckets.

SpaceCoastBrew - This is the information I've been looking for and have not found. The video's are great. This helps to make my decision easier. I'm ok with some DIY tasks, but not great, and I don't weld. If I owned a welder and used it enough to stay in practice then that's a different story. My time is limited as I travel a lot. Something I can get initially setup in a weekend is great. I'm liking the Top Tier more and more.

JalaPeno - I like your stand a lot! Do you have more pictures? How much effort was required to put that together? Estimate of costs? That's almost exactly what I'm looking for.

3'x3' footprint
IMG00068-20101128-1312.jpg

I have the Top Tier and love it - I have put about 10 batches through it. The thing that I like the best are the burners. Not only are they powerful and efficient, but whisper quiet. I can hardly hear them, which is a great improvement on my last burners which sounded like I had a jet engine on my patio.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

This is THE reason I like this community - lots of people eager to help!

This is the information I've been looking for and have not found.

You can use the 'Search This Forum' function in the upper right hand corner to find many things. For example, if you type 'Top Tier Stand' and select the 'Show Posts' radio button, you will find lots of information regarding the Top Tier Brew Stand including many videos and people who have posted DIY information. This functionality is your best friend! :mug:

Back