Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty similar to something I bought first time round... The base was so thin that it couldn't hold a boil. I would spend more and get something better.

As long as you are doing a partial boil, it will work. In the long run, you'll probably want something more heavy duty, but for an "entry level" kettle, I don't see why not. I started out with a similar pot. Actually, I still use it to heat my strike and sparge water on the stove.

Not to be disrespectful to the Chinese, but at that price it must be made in China, and I don't have much good to say about many of their products.

Kinda like Made in Japan was in the 1950's if you ask me.

No. You MIGHT have a little harder time holding a boil, but just use the burner that fits the best. You have to pay a little more attention to the bottom of the kettle when you are boiling too. If you turn the temp. down, the burner is still at the higher temp and needs a little time to cool down to what you have it set at, with gas, it cools MUCH quicker. Just keep an eye on your wort, make sure you aren't burning stuff to the bottom, and try to 'lead' temperature adjustments as best you can. You'll still be fine regardless.

i would look elsewhere; craigslist, amazon.com, or a flea market for a bigger bargain pot. that little pot seems like a waste of money if you are serious about brewing beer in the long term. i made a similar mistake and now i wish i would have bought the good stuff right away. just my 2 cents.

I have pretty much the same pot, it's works fine. Definitely not the best quality but no issues with it.

Target pot

I have that pot. I don't like the lid much, but rarely use it anyway... It has an encapsulated bottom, basically a layer of aluminum sandwitched between stainless. I am pretty impressed for the cost. It held a boil on my electric range using just under 9 setting, which is pretty darn good, IMO. They carry it in the store near me, and it looks to be a normal store item. More money than a cheapie, but the 3 layer bottom is worth it. I imagine the lid is prone to breaking like in the review, but I can probably find another lid somewhere for it.

Someday I want a nicer quality 30qt so I can do full boils, but for now this works great. When I upgrade, this will become my canner :)

Back