Brew pot - Was it a little too cheap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrittenhouse

Reaction score
I am weary of a brewpot that I picked up at the store last night. It is a 20qt stainless steel pot and they were only $7.

Does this mean that it is just VERY thin stainless or am I being shafted for $7? It states that it is stainless and it also says made in India. Im guessing it will *work* I just want to make sure. It's hard to believe when you get a deal these days weather or not to know if it is an actual deal or not.

Thanks!

Robert

I am weary of a brewpot that I picked up at the store last night. It is a 20qt stainless steel pot and they were only $7.

Does this mean that it is just VERY thin stainless or am I being shafted for $7? It states that it is stainless and it also says made in India. Im guessing it will *work* I just want to make sure. It's hard to believe when you get a deal these days weather or not to know if it is an actual deal or not.

Thanks!

Robert

I'm guessing it's pretty thin. How does it feel? A good pot feels heavy for its size with a thick bottom. You want to not have the wort scorch on the bottom.

I'm guessing it's pretty thin. How does it feel? A good pot feels heavy for its size with a thick bottom. You want to not have the wort scorch on the bottom.

It feels pretty thin all of the way around. I guess I'll try it for the first couple batches and see if I end up burning it LOL. If so I guess it was a bad investment. Eventually i'll be moving on to a bigger pot anyhow -- if this one works for the first few than I believe it may be worth the investment.

Thanks

You did not say if you were an all grain brewer, but it could always become a HLT.

You will find a use for it. Heating water to wash bottles and peel labels?

You did fine.

You did not say if you were an all grain brewer, but it could always become a HLT.

You will find a use for it. Heating water to wash bottles and peel labels?

You did fine.

Awesome. Good thinking. I am using it for a brewpot for extract. Im guessing if i'm careful and watch it I will be fine. Theres always a compromise it seems...

Thanks

I bought my 20 quart SS pot for under 10 bucks at Dollar General and have been using it with no problems for stovetop brewing for several years now.

I've even stuck it on the turkey fryer to heat sparge water while draining my mash tun into my big brew kettle for allgrain brewing.

Worry about other things (actually don't worry about anything :D) but don't worry about the perceived thinness of your brew pot. If you don't use late extract addition or don't stir your wort you could just as easily scorch it on a thick bottomed kettle.

If you don't plan on standing on it, there's really nothing to worry about. :D

I bought my 20 quart SS pot for under 10 bucks at Dollar General and have been using it with no problems for stovetop brewing for several years now.

I've even stuck it on the turkey fryer to heat sparge water while draining my mash tun into my big brew kettle for allgrain brewing.

Worry about other things (actually don't worry about anything :D) but don't worry about the perceived thinness of your brew pot. If you don't use late extract addition or don't stir your wort you could just as easily scorch it on a thick bottomed kettle.

If you don't plan on standing on it, there's really nothing to worry about. :D

Ah great. I mainly just wanted to make sure there wasn't some odd material they were claiming was stainless (or something weird)

Thank you! I'm so happy I found one for so cheap (that is of course until I go to AG then I will re-purpose it)

I'm using a paper thin 60 quart aluminum pot and I haven't had any problems with burning on the bottom of the pot with the flame on the turkey fryer at full. Just turn off the heat when you add the extract until its well mixed in and you should be golden.

Thanks!

Robert

Is this a national chain store? I am looking for an inexpensive brew pot right now.

Thanks Revvy for the heads up on Dollar General!

Is this a national chain store? I am looking for an inexpensive brew pot right now.

I don't believe so. It's a Campbells Food Land in Zanesville, Ohio. It was like $6.95 or so. I'm pretty darn happy about it! This was the largest size I could find -- it was around their soup-making supplies.

Robert

BrewHappy-

If you have a big latino population, look at WalMart for a tamale cooking pot. I got a 7.5 gallon pot (aluminum, thin) in the food section. It works great!

I use it for an HLT now, as I got a keggle. I did full boils (very carefully) on my stove top with it.

It was $20

BrewHappy-

If you have a big latino population, look at WalMart for a tamale cooking pot. I got a 7.5 gallon pot (aluminum, thin) in the food section. It works great!

I use it for an HLT now, as I got a keggle. I did full boils (very carefully) on my stove top with it.

It was $20

LOL...I just decided this weekend that I actually need to get a tamale pot...for steaming tamales. Using what I have is really a hassle. :D

BrewHappy-

It was $20

I had the problem where I coulnd't find anything under $40 at Walmart (no tamale steamers) and nothing at Dollar General, Family Dollar, Target, etc etc etc!

Shipping one would raise the cost to something that you might be able to find locally.

Robert

Scorching can be an issue with any stainless pot, especially with extracts and sugars during the boil. Just keep it stirred and that can be easily managed.

I'd love to find a 20qt or higher stainless pot for that price range.

I'm using a 10 gallon, al, tamale pot. I've only put one partial mash and one gluten free extract into it, but I have no complaints for the only $25.

Back