Brew Pot Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfguy819

Reaction score
I'm going AG now, and am upgrading my brew pot. I was looking at either an 8 or 10 gal pot and wanted to get some opinions on which size would be better. I'm going to be collecting 6-6.5 gal of wort to account for loss during the boil. So I guess my question is, which would be better, 8 or 10? With a 10 gal pot, I pretty much wouldn't have to worry about boil over, but what about w/ an 8 gal? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely go with the 10. You could do it in an 8 but it would still be tight. Remember that they usually measure the pot to the absolute brim whereas you will want to boil with a good 6 inches remaining at least. And don't think you won't have a problem with boilover, I have a 15 gallon pot and its still a concern for 6.5 gallons of wort.

You would have to keep a good eye on the 8 gallon pot. That's actually the size I use and I have only had a couple small boil overs, but that's because I'm always anticipating them early on, especially with the first hops addition. I've collected as much as 7 gallons of wort for a successful boil, but it can be a bit of a hairy situation.

Get the 10 gallon if you can. It will make brew day a bit easier.

The amount of wort you collect is really going to be dependent on how big of a beer your making. Its not uncommon for me to start off with 8 gallons for an IPA that ends up being 5 1/2 to 6 in the carboy.

+1 to 10 gallon pot.

I'm going to go against the grain a little bit here: I'd buy a 15 if you can find a decent price on one. The first 5 minutes or so of the boil are *very* tense for me in my 7.5 gallon pot-- you have to be Johnny on the spot with the burner control in one hand and a spray bottle in the other.

I'm buying some Fermcap for my next batch and a bigger pot as soon as SWMBO wants another handbag.

8 gallons will WORK.
10 gallons is good.
15 gallons is better...

The bigger your pot (within reason) the easier it is to catch boil overs...

Here's a boilover wanting to happen from last night in a 7.5 gallon pot - this is TWO gallons here...

3624469868_597a65fff9.jpg

3623652977_da99ee1046.jpg

3624472386_7dbd86812a.jpg

Now mind you - this was a batch with a lot of trub and I was boiling hot, but I've had a couple boilovers or almost boil overs with 5 gallon batches (starting 6ish gal of wort) in my 15 gallon keggle...

I should add - don't let this discourage you from using a smaller pot if you really need to - I did my first couple all grains with my 7.5 gallon pot. It kinda sucked at the beginning of the boil and a boilover was immenent, but it was doable and I turned out some good beers..
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg

+1 on the 10 gallon pot. I have a 7 gallon and just had a boil over yesterday. I plan on going to Sports Authority in the near future and picking up a 15 gallon pot. I know eventually I will be doing 10 gallon batches so I'm going to plan ahead.

Thanks for the advice guys.....I might as well pony up the extra dough (no pun intended!) and go w/ the 15 gal. I was leaning towards the 10, but I can see myself eventually going to 10 gal batches, so might as well do it right the first time

Sorry for slightly off topic but... if you guys watch your boil pots... and as soon as really hit a hard boil you'll get your hot-break foaming at the top...

Just take a clean coffee mug or something and scoop that foam out. You can then go the rest of your boil with no chance of boil over.

A simple rule of thumb that I have found, is that the optimum kettle size is just about double the finished batch size. So a 10 gal. is perfect for 5 gallon batches. A 15 gal. is a bit large and cumbersome for 5 gallon batches, but is perfect for 1/4 barrel, 7.75 gal. batches.

for my first all grain i just did on saturday, i have a 30 qt pot which is what 7.5 gallons. i collected 6 gallons of wort and did not have a boilover at all. spraying the foam with a water bottle works wonders and you really only have to worry about it for like the first maybe 5-10 minutes

Never really had a boil over other than a few splashes on the kitchen stove - that of course sent me outside for all future brews. Stir the wort for the first few minutes of the boil and also after each hop addition. I have an 8 gallon pot I no longer use because I did a very careful 7.5 gallons in it to start and that was difficult to manage, I kept adding a bit of wort to the pot as it boiled down.

15 gallon pot or Keggle is the way to go for 5 - 10+ gallon batches.

I use a 7.5 gallon pot for my AG brews. I had one boil over the first or second time I brewed, but anti-foam and/or scooping off the foam works fine and I never have any issues whatsoever since then. In fact, I don't even watch the pot any more once I eliminate that first hot break.

Well, after much thought (and checking the bank account) I decided to go w/ a 12 gallon pot instead of 10 or 15. I figured it's middle of the road and will allow me to do most brews without too much worry.

Back