Brew Night-Beelzeboss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. My response to your post is time stamped before your question. Interesting things going on post rapture.

Well it's chilled, pitched, and waiting. I was rushing and wasn't thinking things out earlier. The recipe has the Mt Dew broken down by # of cans. I bought 2 liters instead and ended up adding an extra bottle. OG of 1.060, expected (with 2 liters less Mt Dew) was 1.051

Well you had a higher OG, so I would think the expected FG should be higher as well, right?

Measure again in a few days and see if it's at .01.

If the OG was higher via grain I would say yes. Since it was just extra sugar from the Mt Dew I would think it might go even lower.

I have slow airlock bubbles but I'm also letting the temp come up so that means nothing.

2.0 lbs pilsner malt(I used MO)

1.0 lbs wheat malt

10 oz flaked wheat(I used torrified wheat)

6 oz flaked oats

40 12oz cans of Mt Dew(14 liters)

Zest of 5 Valencia oranges(I used dried zest)15 minutes

1 tsp Irish moss 15 minutes

.75 tsp yeast nutrient 15 minutes

4 AAU Styriam Goldings hops(45 min)
-I used 1oz. It seems like I found that # somewhere else

Wyeast 3944 or WLP410(1 qt starter)
-I used 2 packs of Wyeast Belgian strong instead of making a starter

2 pkg Safale US-05

Pour 24 cans into fermenter. Mash with water at 155*F for 40 minutes. Bring 1 gallon of water and remaining soda to boil. Recirculate and runoff. Batch sparge with hot Mt Dew. Boil. Hops. Zest. Moss. nutrient. Cool. Aerate and pitch both yeasts. Ferment at 73*F.

I mistakenly used eight 2 liters instead of seven. My fix was to boil all of the soda to reduce it to fit in my better bottle.

image-2266631958.jpg

image-2010383882.jpg

image-1901543562.jpg

http://***********/stories/recipein...cialty-a-experimental-beer/1172-mountain-brew

jwk526 said:
http://***********/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/112-specialty-a-experimental-beer/1172-mountain-brew

The recipe I posted was the second revision. Oct 2007 I think. Written by Chris Colby. He prefered it to the 2002 recipe.

It turned out great. I've still 4 bottles. I don't remember the exact numbers right now. You do a standard mash with water. If I remember correctly you sparge with 50/50 mt dew/water.

Latest posts

Back