Brew Kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold-Beer

Reaction score
Quick question about “Brew Pots”, I have been out of the home brew hobby for about 11 years, but am now planning on brewing again. I have noticed that many things that were not available then are available now. I am planning on buying 15 gallon pots, and see there are many venders and kettle types to choose from.
The question that I have is weld or weld-less? I have found a weld kettle from “Spike Brewing” that might lower the possibility of equipment failure or contamination, though it appears to be a little thin on the bottom which may lead to scorching. Or a weld-less kettle system which appears to offer more opportunities for equipment failures (leaks) and contaminates getting into the brew. Am I over thinking this in my excitement about getting back into the craft?

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I really like the welded fittings that I got from sabco(bought used, expensive otherwise). They work fantastic but the problem was that I needed more fittings on my keggles. SO I had to go with the a couple weldless ones as well. One thing that I found was that homebrewstuff will drill the holes in your kettle for you if you get them from there. Save the time, effort, and tools. Both systems are really sturdy and I have not had any issues with them. All on preference and availability i guess. You could always modify an existing kettle if you already have it. I saw location as Idaho so if you are around the Boise area you can always check them out. They were really helpful.

-Imp

contamination should not be an issue with a brew kettle since you are boiling (aka sanitizing) your wort in it. My kettles both have weldless fittings (thermometers and ball valves). One is from Homebrewstuff and the other is a Blichmann. No leaks, no problems.

Thank you for the input, and advice. Think I will look at the home brew stuff page and check into their kettles.

Cheers
Don

Latest posts

Back