Brew Kettle Imperfections Showing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessee

Reaction score
I just bought an anvil 10g kettle which seems pretty nice. I brewed my first batch of beer in it and cleaned it with pbw solution in hot water (est 110F), below is what appeared afterwards. Any advice on how to fix it?

E481E82B-E57F-477D-A472-ECF50609AFDF.jpg

Scrub it off with a scotchbrite pad if it bothers you. I dont know what caused it, but it looks like it will come off??

No it won’t come off no matter how hard I scrub

Almost looks like during production, that the pot was having an issue aligning with where one of the cutouts was supposed to happen. If that's what it is, you may be able to clean it, but it will continue to come back.

I would email Anvil about this and see what can be done.

I almost guarantee that if you contact anvil / Blichmann with that picture they will explain how to fix it or sort you out. I have had nothing but stellar experiences with them.

It's not uncommon for stainless steel to get embedded with carbon steel contaminates from the tooling process. Those contaminates are what you are seeing on your pot because they are not stainless steel and corrode rapidly. You need to remove those contaminates which can quite stubborn. A good scrubbing followed by another good scrubbing with an acid based cleaner will strip it away the contaminates and pacify the SS at the same time. First scrub the snot out the area with a green scotch-bright and hot PBW. Then made a paste out of BKF (a little water and lots of BKF) and scrub/polished the affect area with a rag applying a liberal amount of BKF. If you use a stronger based acid you do not have to scrub as much. But the stronger the acid the more precaution you need to take. Use gloves and goggles at a minimum.

This is actually my second kettle from another issue with the last kettle so it makes me apprehensive about contacting them. I also punched a couple holes in the kettle for npt's.

This is actually my second kettle from another issue with the last kettle so it makes me apprehensive about contacting them. I also punched a couple holes in the kettle for npt's.

Then I would do as LarMoeCur suggested, and scrub the heck out of it! I don't think it will hurt anything, but it's unsightly if it's new. :(

Doesn't matter, I'd still send that pic and some words to the folks at Blichmann and at least get their feedback. If they think there's something there they should set straight I think there's a good chance they would, even if you punched holes in it...

Cheers!

No it won’t come off no matter how hard I scrub

Use Bar keepers friend to clean the stain away and passivate it so its unlikely to come back. its kind of common for machining or welding contamination to sometimes show up and has even been reported on the blichmann kettles.

Well I tried a few of your recommendations and nothing is removing it. So I contacted anvil brewing and they said they've never seen this before. I'm gonna keep playing with it until I get something resolved. I just frustrates me since it practically brand new still. One use shouldn't put too much wear and tear on it.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

To answer your question in regarding to the first kettle. When it came in mail it had huge gashes taken out of the pot in the inside. After providing them pictures they sent me a new one. If I find them I'll post them for you'll to see.

I just found the old pictures from first kettle I sent back...without further due

image3.jpg

image1.jpg

Back