Brew kettle advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ff13375

Reaction score
So need some advise on my boil kettle set up. Right now I have a cheap 5 gal kettle with a 120v 1500watt element. 70° to boil 108 mins which isn't that bad but would like to speed up a little. I am doing small batch brewing 3 gal into the fermenter. So here is my question what would be my best choice

1. New thicker brew kettle (should hold heat better and help will boil off)
2. Have a 240v outlet put in and get a 5500 watt element
3 . Just keep what I have a use lid

If you don't plan to go bigger, I would insulate the kettle and probably put the lid on until you get near boiling. You could also get a heat stick that you can put in, until close to a boil. You will want to make sure it is on a separate circuit from the built in element.

If you go bigger, I would get the 240v. Though the Grainfather and similar systems run off 110v.

I thought my NG stovetop was slow and it takes right at 60 min to get 6 gallons to boil!

I would wrap the kettle in Reflectix and keep the lid on until it gets to 210F for the next brew as that is the cheapest solution. If that doesn't get you under an hour, then I'd add the 5500 watt element. I might even consider a 3500 watt element if you are sure you will stick to 3 gallon batches as it would be easier to keep from scorching.

I don't think your first idea will get you to boil any more quickly. Kettle wall thickness is pretty irrelevant to temperature rise rate.
A 5500 watt element will get you there quick but you will need a temperature controller to ramp it down after boil is achieved.
Insulation and a lid will both get you to boil more quickly and more cheaply, all other things being equal.

Back