Brew in a Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerGuy

Reaction score
OK I heard about brewing in a bag and I am ready to take the step from extracts to this. I looked online and found too many variances 6gal pot, 10gal pot, 15gal pot, HUGE grain bag, 5gal grain bag, small grain bags, 60 min, 30 min...... I am now confused. So my question is this, How do I get away from extract brewing using some speciality grains to a BITB?

• Do you already own a brew kettle or are you planning to purchase one for BIAB?
  • Will you be brewing indoors on the stove or outdoors using a gas burner?
  • What size batches do you intend to make?
Answering these questions will help others give you the right equipment advice.

The single biggest factor in how you BIAB will be the kettle size and that's going to depend on where you brew and what kind of kettle you already have. If you want to do all grain, full boil 1.050 OG 5gal batches then a ten gallon kettle is about the minimum. Smaller kettle and you start having to watch the size of your grain bill or do partial mashes and do the boil over dance at the hot break.

For the past few batches I've been doing biab on the stove with two 5 gallon pots. One is for the mash with a 5 gallon paint strainer, the other for heating sparge water. Then I split the runnings into two buckets then do a full boil with both pots. It's a bit of a hassle, but it works. Propane burner and 44qt pot are coming soon though!

Back