Brew in a Bag a Good Transition to All Grain Brewing Without Intimidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, fellow home brewers! I have been brewing for a relatively short period of time. About six months. In the beginning, I fermented about six or eight batches of cider, mostly crab apple, using fruit that grows in my neighborhood. That's what got me started.
When the crab apples were gone, I figured I would put my equipment to use brewing beer. I started with small batches, but soon realized that five gallon batches were the way to, for the time and effort put into the process. Like most beginners, I started with grain sock steep plus extract recipes. The results were encouraging and I was getting good feedback from family, friends and a couple of other brewers.
Over the next couple of months, I did some research on all-grain brewing, but was intimidated with the terminology and especially the additional equipment and processing involved. I was also able to attend a group brewing session at a local brewery and observe other brewers. I saw their various set-ups and enjoyed the camaraderie, but was no less intimidated. I continued to brew my extract recipes with success, but kept hearing that criticism that my brews, while good, were obviously extract brews, based on the color and flavor.
I was also seeing references in the forums regarding BIAB recipes.
"What's that?" I wondered.
I eventually did some reading and discovered that it is an alternate all-grain process and the BIAB stands for "Brew in a Bag". I learned that the process is similar to extract brewing, but instead of a grain sock, there is a fine mesh bag that fits into the brew pot that replaces the use of the mash tun. I arranged to take a two hour course on all-grain brewing at my local home brew shop that also covered the BIAB method.
dsc04454-675.jpg

What appealed to me was the idea that I could make a better (supposedly) beer using an all grain procedure without purchasing additional equipment, except for the mesh bag that was just a few dollars. Also, the procedure didn't look intimidating. The main difference was the bigger bag, more grain, and a longer grain steep ("mashing in") at a specified temperature. Then it was dunking and draining the bag a few times (equivalent to sparging). Finally a "mash out": raising the temperature to end the conversion of starch to fermentable sugars or "saccharification"...love that word! After draining the bag of grains one last time, the rest of the procedure is the same as the boil for any other brew recipe.
dsc04457-676.jpg

dsc04459-677.jpg

dsc04460-678.jpg

I have made the conversion to all-grain! My first, and so far only, BIAB batch is a pale ale and my original specific gravity reading, or "OG", was spot on with the estimate in the recipe. It felt really good...like I got it right. That batch is nearing the end of the initial bottle conditioning phase. If I got the priming sugar calculated correctly, then it should be a very nice beer! I am interested to see if any of my brewing friends will recognize that it's an all-grain brew. Will they question it? "Wow! This is really good. This is an extract brew?!" I still consider myself to be a novice, so I may not get the nuances yet; but I feel like I'm taking another step in that direction. Cheers!
dsc04461-679.jpg

Author Bio: Matt Miller is husband, father, brewer, fermenter, foodie, and an old dog learning new tricks. Matt has won awards for canning at the North Carolina State Fair in 2012 and 2013. Matt lives in Cary North Carolina, his hometown, and has no plans on leaving...except to explore. You can read more of Matt's beginner's experiences here.
dsc04461-679.jpg

Nice article. I too started all grain via BIAB. I did extracts for two years before making the move. In that time, I did a lot of research into making extracts better (full boils vs partial boils, late LME addition, etc.). This helped me improve my process and made the move into all-grain less intimidating.
Thanks for sharing.

Nice write up. I'm not sure what is so intimidating about batch sparging with a cooler as a mash tun, but if BIAB works for you that's all that matters.

I think this has inspired me to move on from Extracts to a BIAB setup.
Now to buy the bag, boiler and larger kettle.

I actually just transitioned from BIAB to a cooler mash tun, but will probably still do BIAB for occasional winter brewing.
Offhand: Is your draining rack something you bought or a custom build?

Very Nice! I too made the transition from extract to BIAB last year. My experience with converting all-grain recipes to extract just didn't seem to work out that well. As I already had the 10gal kettle and a good burner, I figured that this would be an easy way to get into all-grain with minimal expense. 5 BIAB batches bottled, the 6th in the carboy, and recipe planning/scheduling for the current year is underway! WHY didn't I do this sooner!
I also moved to no-chill last year - very helpful to keep the pipeline going in the middle of WI winters, when it's too cold to brew outside!

@Darwin18
I think I may have also done BIAB on my first AG brew. I then added a cooler for mashing AND to maintain temperature--which is the problem I had when doing BIAB. Not always the best idea when it nearly freezing outside, so the cooler is definitely helpful during extreme weather conditions. Personally, I like batch sparging myself. It's really not that much of a step up from BIAB when you think about it.

A quality write up. I spent a few batches at the BIAB setup right after canned extract kits. Thought that if I was going to use steeping grains I may as well just mash the whole lot. Didn't take too much longer after that to get the false bottom tun and move on. I agree with the title entirely, it's a good stepping stone to test the waters with minimal investment.

@webmosher Necessity is the mother of invention! The rack I have the bag resting on is made for canning. It fits in a pressure canner and is used to lift the jars. It has handles that collapse and I have turned it upside down on my brew pot. I actually don't like using it when canning, but it was handy for this purpose!

I bought a grate for a round charcoal grill at Home Depot. It fits on the top of my 10 gal kettle to rest the bag of grains on.

I've had great success with BIAB. Nobody thinks my beer is anything less than a real brewery product. I bring samples to my LHBS and they are impressed (I've had some of theirs and they aren't so great.) The best thing though is that I haven't yet had any clunkers using this method. My extract brews were hit or miss in this regard. Some just weren't very good.
But rather than a stepping stone (or steeping stone as I originally mistyped) I consider this to be the end. I just don't see the advantage to another 2 vessels. My efficiency is very high, better than the projections in Beersmith, taste is great, so why bother? Only thing is good luck doing a 10 gallon batch and lifting the bag!

nice write up,
I have only done the one BIAB, and it was great so much quicker that my regular brewday.
I started out with a Coopers extract kit, I only done one of these, then when right to allgrain, 3 vessel deal, not intimidated one bit, real easy to start out.
I tell people, if they want to start brewing to jump right into 2-3 vessel allgrain, and read this forum, alot.

Good write up! I have a very similar progression. I did cider for about 5 years, then started with Beer Kits, then Extract, now I have been BIAB brewing for 6 months, with maybe 10 batches. I don't think I will move on to a mash tun. BIAB works great, is cheaper, and produces the same quality product.

Great article! I myself just found out about the BIAB method and have been doing research. I myself is a novice and just started a few months ago and only have done 3 brews and all ready looking at moving to all grain. I need to get a better kettle but other than than I think BIAB is the method for me.

Thanks. I've been BIAB for almost two years and have built my whole ekettle setup around BIAB. I have no desire to go for an igloo mash tun. I can make great beers with BIAB and there is such little clean up. So I wouldn't call it a "transitional" stage.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and feedback. One point of clarification: the transition I am referrering to is from extract to all grain. Personally, I don't know that I will make the move to a mash tun set-up, considering the size and frequency of my brews and my rate of consumption/giveaways. I do find the added equipment, cost and steps a bit intimidating. I'm sure, if I jumped into it, I would get comfortable with the process after a couple of brews. I just don't feel the need to go there...yet. Cheers!

I've been brewing with BIAB for two years, and once I got my process down, the results have been consistently good. I found that I need a high water:grain ratio (around 2:1) to get a decent conversion (75%), and this puts an upper limit on the OG of the beers I can make (~1.070). I use a cotton voile bag instead of nylon mesh, and the finer sieve does a better job at preventing grain from getting in the boil.

Good information! Thanks. I have a higher ABV brew in my future, so I may need to consider some options or adjustments!

Back